Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Victory won't be accomplished until the Iraqi government agrees to give up national sovereignty over it's oil so the global oil companies can come in there and do as they want, profitably, with the oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Rggr
Quote:
I would suggest that you take a look at the facts of who we're fighting. The Iraqi people are in favor of it, the people that want to dominate them are the one's we're fighting.
What I'm trying to say is that to the Iraqi people it doesn't matter who tells them what they should do.
I don't think that it makes any different if it was Saddam Hussein or an American commander.

I mean in movie Rambo III John Rambo himself called the Afghans very brave simply beause they waged war against the Russians. Nowadays these same Afghans are Americas worst enemies called Al Qaida and the Taliban.
I guess there is a reason why David Morell the author of the novel First Blood had Rambo killed by Col. Trautman.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 AM

413 posts, read 909,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I would suggest that you take a look at the facts of who we're fighting. The Iraqi people are in favor of it, the people that want to dominate them are the one's we're fighting.
Hmm. Odd you should mention it, but it wasn't those who wanted to dominate the Iraqi people who were throwing rocks at my convoy in downtown Tikrit in 2003. It was usually a bunch of kids who looked to be ages 10-20.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Hmm. Odd you should mention it, but it wasn't those who wanted to dominate the Iraqi people who were throwing rocks at my convoy in downtown Tikrit in 2003. It was usually a bunch of kids who looked to be ages 10-20.
They were likely the kids of the ones that had been able to abuse the majority under Saddam. Saddam represented a minority that brutally oppressed the majority.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Couldn't we use those troops to take care of the AMERICAN people here? It's funny how people congratulate the troops "for protecting our rights" with one hand, and give away their rights...and the rights of others...with the other.

By the time the troops come back home, we won't have any rights left. Smoking ban, anyone?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Couldn't we use those troops to take care of the AMERICAN people here? It's funny how people congratulate the troops "for protecting our rights" with one hand, and give away their rights...and the rights of others...with the other.

By the time the troops come back home, we won't have any rights left. Smoking ban, anyone?
I think whether or not we should have gone is a fair debate.

The smoking bans are local government.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
They were likely the kids of the ones that had been able to abuse the majority under Saddam. Saddam represented a minority that brutally oppressed the majority.
I suppose if you'd actually speak with those people you'd see that life wasn't really as bad as the US media make it out to have been. I know that's what most of them told me. They said their quality of life fell through the floor between mid-2002 and late-2004.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
I suppose if you'd actually speak with those people you'd see that life wasn't really as bad as the US media make it out to have been. I know that's what most of them told me. They said their quality of life fell through the floor between mid-2002 and late-2004.
I can't argue that point because I have not spoken to them. I can tell you that I've spoken to others that were in other places that have a different experience from yours.

Either way, I thank you for your service.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I can't argue that point because I have not spoken to them. I can tell you that I've spoken to others that were in other places that have a different experience from yours.
I understand. I would point out, though, that many of my fellow soldiers believe that life was absolutely terrible for Iraqis because that's what they have been told by their military seniors. I was told when I got there that Saddam had tortured his people, held mass-executions, gassed people at al-Halabja, etc. Actually, he did torture some people, as did his sons, but it was usually political persecution of a few dissidents, except on a far lesser scale than what happens in China, Myanmar, and even some US-friendly nations like Uzbekistan. Mass-executions were largely epic rumors. The most famous gassings, as the CIA's chief Middle East intelligence analyst and current Army War College head research scholar Stephen Pelletiere concluded, were almost certainly conducted by Iran, not Iraq, because the types of chemicals used were ones possessed by Iran...not Iraq.

Saddam wasn't a good guy, and in fact was a bad guy. There's no denying that. But the vast, vast majority of Iraqis went about with their everyday lives without anyone breathing down their necks, just so long as they weren't political dissidents. Women and non-Muslims typically enjoyed far greater social and religious freedoms under Saddam than they do today. I guess they get to vote, though. *shrug*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr
Either way, I thank you for your service.
No problemo. I only have about a year and a half left.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM

473 posts, read 1,245,593 times
I found it comical that you "shrug" that they can vote today. Is voting not important? Is freedom not important? Imagine if what you just wrote on here could get you killed. That was Iraq before we invaded. Imagine being scared to talk at dinner about how you disagree with your president for fear of death.

You and so many other American's are so so lucky to live in the greatest country on the planet.

We are in Iraq because it was a strategic place to place a base to attack terrorism in the middle east and put pressure on Iran to stop their nuclear programs. Al-qaeda are on the run, the people in Iraq are free, Iran stopped enriching uranium when we invaded Iraq, the next worse thing than Hitler (Saddam) is dead, and the oil (oh the evil oil that runs our economy) is safe. We invaded Iraq to make sure all those things happened. The WMDs were a smoke screen. We needed to protect the flow of oil, fight terrorism in the middle east, establish a base, kill a dictator, bring democracy to the middle east and put pressure on Iran.

Of course the public was only pitched the WMDs part because our politically correct moron public thinks anything oil is evil. They forget that oil is what runs the largest economy in the world, the same economy that has helped us create the strongest defense in the world, the same defense that has kept us safe for 50 + years (minus 9/11).

Bush is rich. Bush's friends are rich. Bush and every President care about 1 thing and 1 thing only.. their legacy. Presidents want to live forever in history books and they want their legacy to be positive. So you are telling me a super rich guy like Bush put his legacy on the line to make himself and his buddies rich from oil? Get a clue.

100 years from now, in the history books Bush is going to look like a savior. Americans are so short sighted and so anti-oil and anti-war they don't see that we are protecting our economy (which is in the world's best interest) and we are destroying the most dangerous thing that faces our civilized world... no not global warming... radical Islam.

Last edited by jrod2828; 03-13-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: screwed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies