Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM

254 posts, read 193,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
It is Bush's fault
Sounds like Obama has been pretty useless and impotent as a historical legacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
There are ways for government to encourage, even fund projects that are beneficial and not just ccampaign donor paybacks. The Republicans are responsible for preventing another debacle like the stimulus program that gave us Soylndra, Fisker and many more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Recovery program = Government spending = Big government. Republicans don't like big government. Republicans own both the house and the Senate. Ergo, this is the fault of the Republicans, not Obama.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Look at the two year trend, not one quarter. It is undeniable, undeniable that the trend is down; not up, nor choppy, down. Inventories get reduced with demand - not the case here - or in the absence of demand over a too long of period of time. This is the case here. No demand over an extended period of time, so companies quit buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It was due to inventory declines which is a good thing going forward as it reflects demand exceeding production and they will need to be rebuilt. I would much rather see a lower number because of declining inventory than a number boosted by inventory growth. And the silver lining is that interest rates will stay down over the next few months at least making mortgages, autos, credit cards all more affordable.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
1.2% GDP is less than half of expected, first quarter revised down to 0.8%. Obama and dems are lying to you folks. It's probably even worse than that.
Obama's presidency never saw a quarter with a growth of at least 3%. Obama's average, I think, is a paltry 1.5% or so.

Yesterday I caught an NPR show in progress. A black man told the president how horrible the economy has been for him, and how his business suffered so much. Obama's flippant response was, "well, things would have been a whole worse if I had not spent the first two years focusing on saving our economy."

Old 07-29-2016, 10:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama's presidency never saw a quarter with a growth of at least 3%. Obama's average, I think, is a paltry 1.5% or so.

Yesterday I caught an NPR show in progress. A black man told the president how horrible the economy has been for him, and how his business suffered so much. Obama's flippant response was, "well, things would have been a whole worse if I had not spent the first two years focusing on saving our economy."
I'm not sure how much Obama's bailout of the rich helped the man.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
It's normal. There is job growth, income growth. Our country doesn't need 3% growth any longer to thrive.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
Quote:
It's normal. There is job growth, income growth. Our country doesn't need 3% growth any longer to thrive.
what planet are you living on ?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Any person who isn't a partisan hack knows big government is the problem with both parties.
Exactly!

Big government, government intervention/manipulation, etc., ...ALL are economy killers.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The important statistics are GDP growth per capita (in order to remove the effects of changing demographics), and how that compares to the world. Our economy does not work in isolation; it is very much linked to the rest of the world. Obama cannot control the world economy.

US GDP growth per capita 2015 = 1.6%
World GDP growth per capita 2015 = 1.3%

The US is doing better than the world at large, but not by much. Just to look at a few other countries...
France = 0.3%
UK = 1.5%
India = 6.7%

I would say the US economy has done fine under Obama. The world at large is hurting a bit which affects the US. As expected, developing countries like India are booming.

Note that most economists are projecting that most GDP growth will occur in emerging economies, not in developed economies. This has nothing to do with Obama or politics and has everything to do with the untapped potential of places like India and Indonesia. This is why most investment advisors tell clients to put a big chunk of money into emerging countries stock.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why does it appear that the numbers we get end up being revised down so often?

It seems they rarely get revised to better numbers but almost always worse.
It appears that way, because it IS that way. First, amongst great fanfare, they release optimistic Rosy numbers, then on Friday late some time later revise those figures down - sometimes more than once. Few notice, and nobody on the left, but that is the way of the loony left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies