Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,968,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post

You could write "laws" which outright banned any influence, including money, and it would fail miserably with the current form of government. It would just force the money into the darkness behind closed doors. If government CAN be corrupted and used as a weapon of aggression upon the individual, it WILL be corrupted no matter what "laws" are passed.
I disagree with this line of thinking

If you make it a law to ban money influence, and some politicians continue under darkness, other politicians that are not on the take will shout their name and deeds in public when they are exposed and believe me, there would be a lot of scrutiny to search out those on the take.

The politicians do it now to each other even, but it is not illegal so nothing is done

What we have right now is all of them on the take so none of them will do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
More importantly, what are you going to do about it?
I am going to keep spreading the word until we have a representative that will do something about it.
We are getting close, case in point, Sanders and now Trump.

The representative we need to pick from is not only one not funded by deep pockets, but one that is going to throw all the Banking and Corporate Lobbyists out of DC.

They still have FREEDOM to roam the streets with picket signs and protests in Washington DC like everyone else for politicians they want to reach.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,746,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post

If you make it a law to ban money influence, and some politicians continue under darkness, other politicians that are not on the take will shout their name and deeds in public when they are exposed and believe me, there would be a lot of scrutiny to search out those on the take.

The politicians do it now to each other even, but it is not illegal so nothing is done

What we have right now is all of them on the take so none of them will do anything about it.
What we have now is a "government" that uses aggression, violence, and coercion to impose the will of some upon others. Until government does not act like a criminal organization, people will influence it. Voters are as evil as lobbyists, using the thug government to impose their personal will upon their neighbors. Do I really care if a rich man or a poor man uses government to steal my wealth or order me to live a certain way when I have initiated force no force upon no one??? I am still being robbed and ruled over by evil thugs and tyrants. (It does not matter if the thug is the majority, collective, "representative", lobbyist, or neighbor, they are all evil aggressors...)

Last edited by irspow; 08-02-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 04:11 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Scalia was horrible when it comes to campaign finance. He believed any billionaire should bribe candidates running for office with as much dollars as they want, no campaign limits at all. Trump is on record saying that Scalia was awesome and we need more judges who believe in no campaign finance restrictions, making it impossible to win office without begging the rich and the powerful for money. Whats so great about that?
No. The above is your twisted conclusion. Can you give even a rudimentary explanation of Scalia's judicial philosophy to someone in the next room without looking it up on Wikipedia? Have you read even one word of Scalia's concurring opinion re Citizen's United? I doubt it. As Scalia put it, "Though faced with a constitutional text that makes no distinction between types of speakers, the dissent feels no necessity to provide even an isolated statement from the founding era to the effect that corporations are not covered, but places the burden on the petitioners to bring forward statements showing that they are".

Justice Stevens, in part of the dissent, attempts to show that the majority decision in Citizens United is not supported by the original understanding of the first amendment. Scalia points out that the attempt by Stevens is made in "splendid isolation" From the text of the First Amendment.

You are demonizing Scalia because you don't like (decision based on emotion) the result of the Citizens United decision, rather than discussing any actual details about the decision. You don't even ...mention the decision at all. You'd rather give your own interpretation of what you think was inside his head, rather than even mention the actual decision.

I'm not a Trump supporter, and anyone...no matter what their beliefs...who has a strong opinions re the Constitution, likely arrived at his/her viewpoint long before Trump's views were well known.

Last edited by RMESMH; 08-02-2016 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph

Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:

They don't do it now.

Quote:

Who has done this? They couldn't even agree to make insider trading illegal for them the same as everyone else.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
I am going to keep spreading the word until we have a representative that will do something about it.
We are getting close, case in point, Sanders and now Trump.
Sanders endorsed corruption in the end. We don't know what Trump will do.

Quote:
The representative we need to pick from is not only one not funded by deep pockets, but one that is going to throw all the Banking and Corporate Lobbyists out of DC.
Obama said he was going to do that.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:17 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,720,282 times
Quote:
This has always surprised me. We know that members of Congress use about 70% of their time in office to solicit campaign donations from the super rich. They have seperate rooms where they beg the super rich for money most of the day. Trump promises to lift all restrictions on campaign finance to make it even easier for the rich to pull the strings of our elected officials. His dream is several new Scalias on the Supreme Court. Judges that believe there should be no restrictions for the billionaire class to bribe.

Trump supporters claim they are interested in changing the status quo and are tired of corruption in DC. Yet, they seem perfectly fine with the corrupt system of campaign finance and support making it even easier for the donor class to buy elections!

It blows my mind.
im not sure what you mean, who's 'fine' with the bought and sold nature of polticians?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
im not sure what you mean, who's 'fine' with the bought and sold nature of polticians?
You and many here seem to be. They simply do not care that their candidate who claims to be an "outsider" taking on special interests is nominating the most extreme supreme court justices that promises to destroy democracy completely and make the whole political system a total playground for the super rich.

I just dont get it. Whats so great about billionaires buying elections? Which puppets are you supporting down the ballot this election?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:24 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,054,311 times
Quote:
You and many here seem to be. They simply do not care that their candidate who claims to be an "outsider" taking on special interests is nominating the most extreme supreme court justices that promises to destroy democracy completely and make the whole political system a total playground for the super rich.

I just dont get it. Whats so great about billionaires buying elections? Which puppets are you supporting down the ballot this election?
Are you still refusing to acknowledge that your candidate is doing the same thing?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They don't do it now.

Who has done this? They couldn't even agree to make insider trading illegal for them the same as everyone else.
Trump is the most recent example on outing other politicians on the take
There are hundreds of aware citizens reporting who is on the take with simple math.

Even anonymous donors can be found out about

Campaign to ID rich who try to hide political donations
Campaign to ID rich who try to hide political donations - SFGate

Make it illegal and the heat would increase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies