Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Do you support 21 year age limit on alcohol purchase?
Yes, we must have the highest age limit in the world because we are a free country 13 24.53%
No, it is big government run amok 40 75.47%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nobody has the right to complain about alcohol laws unless you live in Oklahoma (or Utah). Around here grocery stores are only allowed to sell beer that is 3.2% ABV. Liquor stores can sell stronger beer but must sell it room temperature. Liquor stores are also the only outlets you can buy wine or spirits. They also must close at 9PM, Sundays, and most holidays. All this to appease Baptist moralists who don't drink anyways.
Is your accident numbers/ DUI's better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,518 times
I agree, no age limit! If a child can crawl to the bar and gots money they should be able to buy a drink. Mexico been like that forever, Europe too.

Might even kickstart the economy. More revenue too from alcohol tax. Mo money fo govt.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have relatives in Ireland and they have been able to drink since they were 18.

It does seem silly that a kid can sign him or herself up for the military putting their very lives at risk yet they cannot legally buy a beer.

On the other hand I don't think most American kids could handle it. We have so many movies and songs that celebrate getting wasted yet they seldom show the horrible aftermath of it. Every year we hear about college kids who away from the protection of their parents for the first time make terrible decisions and drink themselves to death.

Keep it at 21.
I support keeping it at 21 years of age. The difference between the US and Ireland or any other place in Europe is that most people drink in village or city pubs... and they walk home afterwards. In the US, it's much more likely that after drinking in a bar or a friend's house, people get into a car to drive home. If the 18-21 year old crowd could guarantee that they wouldn't drink then drive, then I wouldn't object. However, below the age of 25, most young men make poor decisions when partying.

I feel the same way about marijuana. I'd much rather that young people not get into that sort of thing until they are 25 years old and their brain has finished developing.

As to them being able to enlist in the military at the age of 18... well the discipline, training and learning specialty skills are good for them, but I'd rather they not go into combat until they are at least 21+ years of age.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
What's so magical about 18 or 21?

Nineteen is the best age, IMO. Most people are one year out of high school so you don't have eighteen year olds becoming legal in high school and giving alcohol to juniors, sophomores, and freshman.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nobody has the right to complain about alcohol laws unless you live in Oklahoma (or Utah). Around here grocery stores are only allowed to sell beer that is 3.2% ABV. Liquor stores can sell stronger beer but must sell it room temperature. Liquor stores are also the only outlets you can buy wine or spirits. They also must close at 9PM, Sundays, and most holidays. All this to appease Baptist moralists who don't drink anyways.
I live 20 miles from Kansas and the law was the same there for years. I don't know if they have changed it. In the 50s, the Mormans controlled Utah so tight that you couldn't even buy food or gas on Sunday.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
What's so magical about 18 or 21?

Nineteen is the best age, IMO. Most people are one year out of high school so you don't have eighteen year olds becoming legal in high school and giving alcohol to juniors, sophomores, and freshman.
And what's so magical about 19? if only everyone matured at the same rate and age.
While living at home it should be up to the parents and once an individual is on their own, it's up to them.
Funny how people have accepted the idea that the state should be raising everyone's children for them

Old 08-09-2016, 11:37 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And what's so magical about 19? if only everyone matured at the same rate and age.
While living at home it should be up to the parents and once an individual is on their own, it's up to them.
Funny how people have accepted the idea that the state should be raising everyone's children for them
Forget Zika.

The megalomania bug is the real epidemic.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
The drinking age at 21 is useless. Tons of high school kids and many 18-20 year olds drink regardless of the law and most of them has never been caught and/or prosecuted.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
I said and disregarded the other blather in the poll.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
A very large percentage of 18 year olds need a few years in the real world to mature before they have a try at drunk driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies