Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, but not with his communication skills, or his heart. They really need someone like Dr. King now, but they are not getting that with this movement.

Every once in a while, a person comes along who can string words together in the most beautiful way, and inspire people to great heights. Dr. King is in a league with Shakespeare as far as poetic language is concerned, but he was actually fighting for something.
He was also non-violent. Something these rioters have no clue about.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,895,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Black Lives Matter is a Civil Rights Movement. It's about injustice. It's about the conditions & the underlying or root causes that are bringing about the demonstrations & protests.

I agree with you about Dr. King, I have great respect & admiration for him. Although there are folks in the present day who are carrying on his unfinished work.
No they are not! You guys are crazy if you think violence is the answer. How you like it if that was your property being burned to the ground and someone in your family is assaulted by one of these thugs.

Total unacceptable her folks.

We should be talking about bring industry back to these cities and control our borders.

That is the answer!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,353,212 times
Ahh, I see some of you want to bring up Dr King...

Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,895,126 times
Default the thug Youth!

This guy was not poster child and was a threat to the officer . Its time the BLM tried their case in the courts,not the streets.

If one acts like a thug, you die like a thug!

Take to heart!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
What's your point?

Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 PM

32,127 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Black Lives Matter is a Civil Rights Movement. It's about injustice. It's about the conditions & the underlying or root causes that are bringing about the demonstrations & protests.

I agree with you about Dr. King, I have great respect & admiration for him. Although there are folks in the present day who are carrying on his unfinished work.
Dr King was for peace, BLM doesn't seem to be. What is the purpose of burning and looting and many times their own city. They are only making things worse.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:21 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
He was also non-violent. Something these rioters have no clue about.
"In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self purification; and direct action.

...You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, so must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood. The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. ..."

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Article...irmingham.html

Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Dr. King and his generation faced real oppression. Today there are college grants, head start programs, heavy investment in education, and financial aid for living expenses. There is a safety net now, and many thousands of poor black people have moved into the middle and upper classes since King's time.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 17,152,745 times
Quote:

None of those folks are in BLM, which engages in terrorism, not peaceful protest.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,603,912 times
Quote:
"In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self purification; and direct action.

...You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit ins, marches and so forth? Isn't negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling for negotiation. Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent resister may sound rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension." I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive, nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise from the bondage of myths and half truths to the unfettered realm of creative analysis and objective appraisal, so must we see the need for nonviolent gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of understanding and brotherhood. The purpose of our direct action program is to create a situation so crisis packed that it will inevitably open the door to negotiation. ..."

https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Article...irmingham.html
So what did he do in Birmingham? He caused nonviolent tension by being civilly in their face. He didn't urge people to burn sh*t down in the suburbs, or in the poor neighborhoods. That's why Dr. King's methods cannot be compared to what happened in Milwaukee or Ferguson or Baltimore, or Dallas or Baton Rouge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies