Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM

8,254 posts, read 3,507,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It is difficult to get jobs or moneymaking gigs on CL if your only internet access is at an unemployment office or library. Those opportunities are often posted and deleted in less than a full morning or full afternoon. I had one ongoing moneymaking gig for six years which I landed on CL only because I was lucky enough to find it and respond within a half hour of posting. So obviously if I had to rely on one hour per business day of internet access, I would never have landed that gig.
It takes gas money to go to a library. It can cost much more in gas money getting back and forth to the library every day then it would just having internet at home. Plus, there's less wear and tear on the vehicle.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:30 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
So if the cheapest rent you could find cost 50% of your income, you wouldn't complain?

why should anyone? Income can increase by working more.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:35 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They don't want to work at all. They want the federal government to steal working people's money and give it to them.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:53 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
They don't want to work at all. They want the federal government to steal working people's money and give it to them.

I know, and I call them out on that by advising once again, the best message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeejWpngWY

Old 08-20-2016, 04:57 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Lower whatever barriers are preventing builders from building and if necessary give tax subsidies to built working class income apartments. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE! I don't even know what specifically but rents are going up by double digits year after year after year regardless of recession or not! This could break our whole society.
If the apartments weren't worth the rent, they would have a lot of vacancies.
Doubt the buildings you describe have many empty units. Supply and demand is the best equalizer.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:03 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,134 times
Quote:
So if the cheapest rent you could find cost 50% of your income, you wouldn't complain?
Complaining and whining about how unfair life is is sooo much easier than actually doing something to improve your situation, isn't it? Get a room mate, get two if that's what it takes - you don't deserve a private house with a white picket fence, or a corner condo with a view, just because you're alive.

Maybe WORK at gaining a skill worth being paid for. There are literally millions of unfilled skilled trade jobs out there if you put in the effort to learn the skills necessary. But it's much easier to just whine on the Internet about how the world is against you and makes it impossible to build your dream shantytown in the middle of the city.

Want a Job? Check here to see what our partners have available. « Profoundly Disconnected

Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We talk about it all the time in my circle of friends. Talk does nothing. The rents in our area are SKY HIGH.
Have you and your friends considered relocating to a different part of the country where rents are more affordable?

If not, why not?

Should government subsidize rent so that everyone can afford to live where they prefer?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Have you and your friends considered relocating to a different part of the country where rents are more affordable?

If not, why not?

Should government subsidize rent so that everyone can afford to live where they prefer?
No, I've been here 51 yrs and I'm closer to 80 in my years. We've had a lot of tech companies buy into this area and it's pushed up the prices higher and higher. Old people struggle to get thru the rest of their lives. What else is new. Part of it all. We have a lot of wealth here. And when the old keep dieing off, it will be all new wealth.

That's why I'd like to that "that pill" when I'm done with it all.

Plus, there is plenty of greed that is alive and doing well.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:02 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,193,881 times
Rents go up when housing is scarce.and good jobs are scarce.. blame all those illegals coming here packing into housing .. we have millions here and more coming. Rents will keep going up as long as we have opened borders and welcome all who want to come here illegally. Food costs as well will keep rising.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 PM

8,254 posts, read 3,507,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Not for people with health problems who can't hold down a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies