Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 09:33 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,123,578 times

Advertisements

This is why we need to bring this to the forefront of the political debate. I wonder if Trump would tell the more than 100 million Americans collapsing under fast rising rent prices that they are "entitled" and would advise them to uproot their whole lives and move to the middle of nowhere for affordable rent.

I think Clinton would propose more subsidies for private companies to construct lower-income apartments. Possible more solutions.

I don't know what Trump would propose. He so far hasn't proposed anything on this issue.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:03 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
This is why we need to bring this to the forefront of the political debate. I wonder if Trump would tell the more than 100 million Americans collapsing under fast rising rent prices that they are "entitled" and would advise them to uproot their whole lives and move to the middle of nowhere for affordable rent.

I think Clinton would propose more subsidies for private companies to construct lower-income apartments. Possible more solutions.

I don't know what Trump would propose. He so far hasn't proposed anything on this issue.
Who cares what they would propose it would be what will their actions do. Subsidies for lower-income-apartments is not going to do much, there isn't room in the majors cities to do all that much, which is where many people are flocking both for jobs and for style of living. The changes are going to have to come from loosening government controls on everything stopping small businesses from starting and growing so that there is competition for employees and the pay starts going up. Clinton has promised more of the same policies of Obama, Trump has said he wants to loosen restrictions, Johnson I believe would do that, but someone has to loosen things up to keep up with inflation.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,804,375 times
Quote:
I see Democrats have proposed numerous things that could alleviate the crisis in the lower end rental market. More subsidies for lower end rental construction, changing property tax laws, changing zoning laws.

Republicans on this thread have proposed no solutions, only telling people to move to the middle of nowhere and that they are entitled. No fix to the problem, only shooing it away.

Republicans, here is your chance. What is your proposed solution to the chronic shortage of lower end rentals going on across the country?

Edit: Also, republicans have proposed more people crammed into smaller living spaces. I think I saw that proposed at least once. Still doesn't provide any solution to what is happening.

People have told you solutions. They just don't match to what you think the solutions are. Housing is not an entitlement. The government is not responsible to make sure you have a roof over your head. That is solely the responsibility of the individual. It is not my responsibility to make sure that you have a roof over your head either. The only heads I'm responsible for is my children.

Saw this also. If you want to live on federal property in government housing they have openings in housing at Ft. Hood where you are still going to pay nearly 1K for it. https://www.military1.com/military-l...iated-renters/

With that said, I'm done. Have a good evening ~raises wine glass~ Cheers.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,992,629 times
Personally I rent because it make sense for my situation. I pay a lot for my rent, but I place a very high value on being able to pack up and move if I decide to do so on a whim because Ive found a better paying job, and I have zero desire to deal with managing a property, like mowing a lawn, painting stuff, maintaining stuff, etc. At this point in my life there is no reason whatsoever that I would choose to spend an extra several hundred dollars a month in order to have MORE responsibilities and less flexibility in my living arrangements. Im a great example of why overbearing government programs that pick winners and losers is just a bad idea. Free markets and personal responsibilities are key to a healthy economy.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,271,437 times
Quote:
I see Democrats have proposed numerous things that could alleviate the crisis in the lower end rental market. More subsidies for lower end rental construction, changing property tax laws, changing zoning laws.

Republicans on this thread have proposed no solutions, only telling people to move to the middle of nowhere and that they are entitled. No fix to the problem, only shooing it away.

Republicans, here is your chance. What is your proposed solution to the chronic shortage of lower end rentals going on across the country?

Edit: Also, republicans have proposed more people crammed into smaller living spaces. I think I saw that proposed at least once. Still doesn't provide any solution to what is happening.
Fix the problem of low-income individuals/families not willing to move to the suburbs or to a state where they can afford the rent & pay their bills a little more easily? Because they'd have to sacrifice laying on the couch time commuting to their job?

It's up to an individual to make it work for themselves, not the tax payers to supply the easy road to individual Happiness/solve personal hangups.

My state has a huge rate of desertion due to how expensive it is to live in. The folks who move out of the state, well they don't demand blood from a stone because in a solid blue state? It all falls on deaf ears. The DEMOCRATIC DEAF EARS.

Democrats aren't out there fixing "the problem". Oh sure, they'll demand more low-income housing be built (however it gets done) and who PAYS for that both short and long term? Tax-payers.

What people who have the mind set you seem to have also never seem to realize that all they do is shoot themselves in the foot, even when they get what they want - someone has to pay for their wants/demands/sense of entitlement. It ends up hitting them in the wallet too. Sooner than later, and in ways they never think about BEFORE hand.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:36 AM

6,740 posts, read 4,430,253 times
I've seen several low rent apartment complexes trashed and abandoned, and just had to be boarded up and closed,from the types of people that move into these places. You're not going to get 5 Star on the cheap, which most people seem to want.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I've seen several low rent apartment complexes trashed and abandoned, and just had to be boarded up and closed,from the types of people that move into these places. You're not going to get 5 Star on the cheap, which most people seem to want.
1 star is all that is necessary. Just roof.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Fix the problem of low-income individuals/families not willing to move to the suburbs or to a state where they can afford the rent & pay their bills a little more easily? Because they'd have to sacrifice laying on the couch time commuting to their job?

It's up to an individual to make it work for themselves, not the tax payers to supply the easy road to individual Happiness/solve personal hangups.

My state has a huge rate of desertion due to how expensive it is to live in. The folks who move out of the state, well they don't demand blood from a stone because in a solid blue state? It all falls on deaf ears. The DEMOCRATIC DEAF EARS.

Democrats aren't out there fixing "the problem". Oh sure, they'll demand more low-income housing be built (however it gets done) and who PAYS for that both short and long term? Tax-payers.

What people who have the mind set you seem to have also never seem to realize that all they do is shoot themselves in the foot, even when they get what they want - someone has to pay for their wants/demands/sense of entitlement. It ends up hitting them in the wallet too. Sooner than later, and in ways they never think about BEFORE hand.
Suburbs are also getting ridiculously expensive! There is no moving further out anymore. There no affordable apartments in suburbs across America because even those are in crazy high demand.

So how do you propose we increase the apartment supply? Or do you think rents increasing by double digits annually won't cause a societal catastrophe?

Last edited by Happiness-is-close; 08-20-2016 at 02:57 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 06:54 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,754,498 times
Quote:

I have proposed the solution multiple times, and while I am not a republican I am a conservative. You only consider the government directly fixing the problem to be a solution, having the government get out of the way and letting the problem fix itself is not a solution that you like so you ignore it.

The federal government tried to fix housing before, in the 1960-1980s, that is where the term projects came from, and what has led to large ghetto areas and generational poverty with no hope for getting out of the projects and off the government dole. That is not a solution, but a way for the government to gain even more control over the poor and to keep them down with hand outs while the government decides exactly how well they should live.

See if you can follow this.

With Quantitative Easing the feds have been pumping billions into the economy, eventually that was going to catch up with the people through inflation. The billions that have been given to investors from those bad loans are now making their way back into the economy through investments in businesses and new home loans. So far most of the investments from private investors has went into the tech startups, where people with IT degrees and computer knowledge are in very high demand and making more money that the median household income. They are driving up the costs of everything because they have money to afford it.

Those in blue collar work are making money as well if they are able to provide needed services, trades are doing well, health and wellness are doing well, as are several other ancillary types of work. Those who are not doing well are the unskilled labor and lower skill workers that can be replaced by technology. In the industrial revolution the same thing happened, those who built cars got huge investments, those who bred and sold horses and buggies did not do well. Now being able to do outdated or skills that are easily replaced by tech are the ones who are not doing so well.

Small businesses that fill niches were the only way that many people stayed and/or made it to the middle class in previous downturns, especially during the industrial revolution, however it has been made significantly harder to fill those niches with small businesses as barriers to entry and regulations have made it damn near impossible to build a business in many areas right now. You have trouble getting a loan, even a home loan when you are self employed, the costs to enter markets have grown exponentially, and many niches are being left unfilled or filled by the few who have enough money to get their businesses going. Until more small businesses find a way to fill niches, and therefor create a demand for employees that can work for them, people are going to be left behind. No amount of government housing is going to prevent that, and no amount of government handouts are going to be enough to keep people out of poverty, we have to find ways to keep ourselves out of poverty.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:15 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,284,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Food prices have fallen relative to inflation, not risen.
Looks to me like Food prices risen over the past 20 years relative to inflation: Price Changes (1996-2016)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies