Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

Over the past 30 years or so, there has been a significant PR campaign from all angles against tobacco smoking in this country. It has went from something that was common to something that people look at in disgust.

Now I am well aware of all the supposed dangers of cigarette smoking. However, I am wondering if it really is as bad as they make it out to be. Also, what about the positives of smoking, such as it's anti-depressant effects, stress-reduction effects, and the increased alertness it provides? I am currently one month smoke free but felt much sharper and was overall happier as a smoker.

This isn't the first time our culture has demonized a vice. The temperance movement in the early 20th century turned public opinion rapidly against alcohol. Today, alcohol perception in America is trending the other direction. Same with marijuana. The fact is, when you over-emphasize the negatives of something and blow them out of proportion, you can spin anything into a killer that should be banned and should not be socially accepted.

We've heard the stories from anti-smoking campaigns of people who have died of lung cancer in the 30s. However, most of us know somebody that has lived to their 80s or 90s and had smoked their entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM

21,148 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Doesn't take great intelligence to realize inhaling smoke can't possibly be good for you.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:56 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,308 times
Are you comparing your years of smoking to one month of not smoking? Think about it.

No way you should go back. Find other stress reduction and relaxation tools...there are plenty. Start with exercise and stay with it.

Most likely you will soon wonder how anyone could ever smoke...or you can buck the odds.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
This article should explain it to you:

Smoking's Many Myths Examined

A couple highlights:

Smoking account for 30% of ALL cancer deaths and 87% of lung cancer deaths
Half of all smokers will die from smoking and about half will die around age 50

Sure we all know someone who smoked and lived to a ripe old age (albeit with yellow teeth and bad breath), but anecdotal evidence is not what we should be looking at. Statistics and peer reviewed studies are.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Over the past 30 years or so, there has been a significant PR campaign from all angles against tobacco smoking in this country. It has went from something that was common to something that people look at in disgust.

Now I am well aware of all the supposed dangers of cigarette smoking. However, I am wondering if it really is as bad as they make it out to be. Also, what about the positives of smoking, such as it's anti-depressant effects, stress-reduction effects, and the increased alertness it provides? I am currently one month smoke free but felt much sharper and was overall happier as a smoker.

This isn't the first time our culture has demonized a vice. The temperance movement in the early 20th century turned public opinion rapidly against alcohol. Today, alcohol perception in America is trending the other direction. Same with marijuana. The fact is, when you over-emphasize the negatives of something and blow them out of proportion, you can spin anything into a killer that should be banned and should not be socially accepted.

We've heard the stories from anti-smoking campaigns of people who have died of lung cancer in the 30s. However, most of us know somebody that has lived to their 80s or 90s and had smoked their entire life.
I had a conductor who is a chain smoker. The train belong to him but the engine is mine and thus smoking was banned in my cab. He couldn't stand outside while rolling along at 70mph so he whined anc gasped trying to cough a lung out. Got fed up watching him struggle to catch a breath. Luckily there was a caboose in the consist that was being relocated. Ninety percent of the time we don't use them but we had one in the consist so I banned him there.

Not breathing his diseased air he was constantly gasping out.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:12 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
"Lung cancer is the leading cancer killer in both men and women in the U.S. In 1987, it surpassed breast cancer to become the leading cause of cancer deaths in women. An estimated 158,040 Americans are expected to die from lung cancer in 2015, accounting for approximately 27 percent of all cancer deaths.'

Lung Cancer Fact Sheet | American Lung Association

Old 08-10-2016, 03:35 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
A very good way to sniff out the all bunk in all the marijuana propaganda is to listen to real accounts from real people. You can also tell whether or not the demonizing of tobacco is justified in the same manner.

My real story is this: A friend of mine, a very accomplished career musician, was a chain smoker. He promised his kids he would stop smoking on his 50th birthday. Well, he didn't. He didn't live to see his 60th birthday. Inoperable lung cancer.

Once you collect enough accounts like this from enough people, I think you'll see that the number of accounts similar to mine outweighs the number of 80 year old chain smokers by more than 10 to 1.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
The big myth is second hand smoke.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
An intense pain in your lung is very convincing, trust me, I know.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:53 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
I had an uncle who smoked & lived upto 80+

But he rode a cycle or walked to work. Even after retirement he would walk for miles to run errands. This was in India & its very easy to get around on foot or a cycle, unlike here where you need a car. He ate very little & very healthy (mostly vegetarian) foods. He smoked, gambled & drank alcohol. He was from a different generation so we cant really compare him to us. Luxuries made us unhealthy so we have food allergies. Any addiction's side effects are worse because of our unhealthy lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies