Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:23 AM

393 posts, read 166,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You vote for a job creator, like Americans did when they elected Pres. Obama. And they will do this again with Hillary Clinton.
Like all those "shovel ready jobs"

Obama: "No Such Thing as Shovel-Ready Projects" - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 07:26 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Bill must have some kind of venereal disease that's eaten away his brain.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:45 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Maybe we could have an exchange program...for every Syrian we import to Detroit, we deport one Detroiter to Syria?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this and the thread in general. Many of you people have never been to Detroit and don't know that Arabs and especially Syrians are not looks upon poorly there for the most part. I live in NW Ohio about 45 minutes from Detroit and have family in Detroit. In my area, we have a large Syrian-American community as well. Many of the Syrians in this part of the country are Christians FWIW to those of you who hold xenophobic ideas regarding Muslims and Bill is right, we in this area will "fight" you if you speak ill of them because they have not been a burden on our part of the state (SE MI or NW OH).

In regards to Bill's comments, he is right. A large amount of black Americans moved away from Detroit and left a lot of blight over the past 15 years especially. Bringing in more Syrian immigrants/refugees would be a good thing for the city in regards to building its tax base and decreasing blight.

The program that Bill spoke about is popular with both white "urban pioneers" and with black Detroiters. So black people are not being denied an opportunity there with the urban homesteader program or with the program that is demolishing those homes that cannot be saved. The unemployment rate in the Detroit area last I saw was around 7% which is WAY less than it was only 5 years ago.

Like desertdetroiter mentioned, you will always have lazy people in a place and Detroit like all cities has its share of lazy people who don't want to work.

On the bold, there are many black owned businesses in Detroit. Detroit is actually one of the cities with the largest amount of black owned businesses in the country, primarily due to it being majority black. If black people were denied loans or other business opportunities there, then there would be very few black owned businesses and there is not a shortage of them in Detroit.

In general, I will state that IMO it is both funny and ridiculous that the conservative posters have not learned from recent news events whereas many black people in response to Trump's comments about us being poor and our kids going to "bad schools" and they stated that a majority of us are not poor - you all should also realize this is the case for metro Detroit as well. A majority of the black people who moved out of the city went to the burbs of Detroit, which are very nice places to live for the most part and that have nice schools. A majority of black metro Detroiters are not poor and they don't want to be urban homesteaders or move into dilapidated neighborhoods and fix up houses. They would support having Syrian refugees come into those neighborhoods and reviatlize them because a healthier Detroit economy is better for the metro area for all communities in SE MI.

You all are showing your prejudices IMO and that you view black Americans (i.e. "the black community") in the same way as liberals - that we are in "need" of your help and that we are ignorant to know about programs in our communities that are for business creation or urban revitalization. For the most part we are not and we know more about this stuff than you do. Quit being like a liberal with a savior complex. Nobody wants to vote for your dude, sorry. He is a horrible candidate is and does not "offer" anything to black Americans nationwide or in Detroit.

Contrary to what many of you believe, black people in Detroit want Detroit to gain population and to grow economically. Allowing Syrian refugees is a good way to do both. We are not focused on whatever "issues" you think we are it seems and are not ignorant about homesteading in Detroit or salvage work.
Detroit has black owned buisness like Milwaukee, Chicago, and other cities in that it has small buisnesses that employees 1 person to about 5 people. Like barbershops. While better than nothing these are not were real economic might comes from. Owning larger companies like major grocery chains, airlines, banks, companies that build tractors, these kinds of things bring in more wealth. White people basically own these.

Detroit does not have one major grocery chain. They have corner shops. Milwaukee not only has several major grocery chains it has a black owned grocery chain. The state of Detroit is sad.

Your attitude about the Syrians seems to me to view Syrians as racially superior to blacks. Or maybe you just view ethnic Black-Americans as inferior to other ethnicities of black peoples around the world and all Arabs.

Or do you think all Arabs have lots of money and therefore all Syrians must have lots of money? My guess is that most Syrians coming to the United States will have little to no money and most won't be very educated.

The Syrian adults will look out for their children first and foremost when in the United States. Just remember that when 20 years down the line Black-Americans want to complain about racism yet militantly chose to sell their own children down the river for a few trinkets.

If there are government funds to pay for Syrians rebuilding Detroit then it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out those same funds could instead be used to rebuild Detroit with local black labor. And my assumption is that's what Bill Clinton is suggesting, a New Deal type of Federally funded project of rebuilding Detroit. I did not read the article or watch the video so I don't know and I'm making an assumption.

People are needed to grow an economy but investment and jobs are needed more importantly. No jobs and an additional 100 hungry people does not produce income or ease the strain on the division of the $100 bill Uncle Sam had just given the 2 native black people living there. They had divided that $100 equal with $50 to one and $50 to the other. Now each has to take their $50 and divide it between 50 newcomers. Between 51 people that is less than $1.

So, just adding new people is not always helpful.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
VIDEO

...it seems to me he might want to start rebuilding Detroit with the people who are still there and give them jobs. Last I checked Detroit was 82 percent African American. How do these globalist democrats reconcile their desire for mass immigration with taking care of a core constituency - African Americans?

Hmmmm......East Dearborn borders West Detroit.

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

Read that, and then address the rest of the cities I listed.
A link to City Data isn't a source.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Providing them with jobs when there are plenty of Americans that need work is bull****, and makes me change my entire opinion towards this entire plan. Why can't they be like Indians and open up 7-11's or Asians and open up dry cleaning places or beauty salons...

Old 08-31-2016, 09:55 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Detroit has never been and is not being abandoned...

There are 700k people living in the city itself and the metro area is over 4 million people...

Most of the people who left the city went to surrounding suburban communities and are still in the area. Detroit is still one of the most populous cities in the country.

However, Detroit does suffer with blight in those neighborhoods where people left in large numbers over the past 15 years. But to think that the entire city is a "modern desert" is ridiculous. I have family in Detroit and they live in very nice neighborhoods in the actual city.
Thats dense.

Detroit wasn't abandonded by the people living there it was abandonded by the liberal progressives who made the promises of free everything and a nanny state experiment .

You will now attempt to blame what happened there on conservatives.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A link to City Data isn't a source.
Got anything better?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:55 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You vote for a job creator, like Americans did when they elected Pres. Obama. And they will do this again with Hillary Clinton.
^^^^This has to be a joke, so thanks for the laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies