Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:58 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How about spending your time investigating murders as opposed to pulling people over because they are black? Pulling over 20 people on bogus suspicions to find one with a little pot is not justifiable when there are far more important things to be doing.
Investigating murder is the job of homicide detectives. Pulling over suspicious Black people in a Black neighborhood doesn't prove racism, it's just profiling. Black cops pull over, arrest and even shoot, the exact same people, at the exact same or higher rates, than White cops do. Spare me your conspiracy theory about pulling people over simply because they're Black. Profiling works. That's how the cops get dangerous felons, guns and drugs off the streets. Black people living in crime ridden neighborhoods don't want that to stop, just Whites who don't have to live in those neighborhoods and Black political opportunists.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much what the protestors are saying. We might disagree with what is a big screw up. IMO lying should never be acceptable.
No, the protesters are saying they want cops charged with murder, long before the facts are known, and then even when there's no evidence of a murder. If they were saying they wanted cops who made a deadly mistake fired, I might even join them.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
Quote:
We have no clue. Many come back from military duty with PTSD and become police officers. We do not screen them.
I call BS social justice warrior

All applicants to any large department today go through rigorous backgrounds and psych exams. PTSD and vets gets looked at extensively . Backgrounds take about half a year..we go back to high school for applicants . .add in drug tests...on and on

Even small departments have to comply with minimum state hiring standards

Even been in the front seat of a radio car on a ride along ? I seriously doubt it...

Have a clue what it takes to get hired today and all the aspects of the process . I highly doubt it..

Now.. back seat . .. expert ? Possibly

One day you will see police robots . ..then if your still around you'll have some real bitching

It's so easy on the internet to be a social justice warrior isn't it

What have you done today to improve your community or your police where you live ?

Be a good citizen . .check
Not use drugs . .check
Watch out for your neighbors . .check
Support the people who keep you safe . A big check

None of the above.... major fail

Old 09-04-2016, 05:25 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Investigating murder is the job of homicide detectives. Pulling over suspicious Black people in a Black neighborhood doesn't prove racism, it's just profiling. Black cops pull over, arrest and even shoot, the exact same people, at the exact same or higher rates, than White cops do. Spare me your conspiracy theory about pulling people over simply because they're Black. Profiling works. That's how the cops get dangerous felons, guns and drugs off the streets. Black people living in crime ridden neighborhoods don't want that to stop, just Whites who don't have to live in those neighborhoods and Black political opportunists.
Yea It's not racist to go to minority neighborhoods and arrest them for drug offenses at much higher rates even though the use between whites and minorities are similar.

So the means justify the ends, even if no ones rights have been violated. Good to know. We fought a revolutionary war over garbage like this.
Stomp on the rights of minorities in order to catch a few felons. Gotcha

Old 09-04-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

All applicants to any large department today go through rigorous backgrounds and psych exams. PTSD and vets gets looked at extensively . Backgrounds take about half a year..we go back to high school for applicants . .add in drug tests...on and on

Even been in the front seat of a radio car on a ride along ? I seriously doubt it...

Have a clue what it takes to get hired today and all the aspects of the process . I highly doubt it..

One day you will see police robots . ..then if your still around you'll have some real bitching

What have you done today to improve your community or your police where you live ?

Not use drugs . .check

So if they go through all that process, why do we have so many in law enforcement that ignore our rights?

Answer- because they know they can get away with it since they are not held accountable.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yea It's not racist to go to minority neighborhoods and arrest them for drug offenses at much higher rates even though the use between whites and minorities are similar.

So the means justify the ends, even if no ones rights have been violated. Good to know. We fought a revolutionary war over garbage like this.
Stomp on the rights of minorities in order to catch a few felons. Gotcha
So you're saying it's racist for Black cops in Black neighborhoods to stop Black people they suspect are committing crimes?

Old 09-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So if they go through all that process, why do we have so many in law enforcement that ignore our rights?

Answer- because they know they can get away with it since they are not held accountable.
Simple, we don't. The % of excessive force complaints, shootings, unlawful shootings, etc. when compared to the overall number of police interactions annually is staggeringly low.

If you're Black and not committing a violent felony, you're more likely to be struck by lightening than to be killed by the police.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

Not use drugs . .check

Cops don't keep us safe. An overwhelming majority of the time they come after the fact. Courts have ruled they cannot be held accountable when they do not protect.

You've failed yet again.

You're not a real cop anyway.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I believe we need ongoing psychological checks also. Would this be expensive? It probably would be but it would be cheaper than the multi million dollar judgements that get paid out every year.
It probably wouldn't be cheaper.
I've pointed out that math before, that even in the worst cities for huge judgements, like Chicago, the judgements are a fraction of the cost saved by under-training officers.
A typical psychological screening for an officer is around $2000 each (and that is before they are officers so does not include the 6-10 hours of paid time for each officer). If you only screened every officer in CPD once every three months, that's $96M/year, in comparison to the $53M/year they paid out in settlements during the worst four years in department history for settlements. And that is for the worst department in the country for settlements. The best you could do and have it be cost effective is once every six months, and that assumes you completely eliminate all settlements through the screening.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Investigating murder is the job of homicide detectives. Pulling over suspicious Black people in a Black neighborhood doesn't prove racism, it's just profiling.
Profiling like this does to prove racism. "He's black and has dreads, pull him over". It's also unconstitutional.

Quote:
Black cops pull over, arrest and even shoot, the exact same people, at the exact same or higher rates, than White cops do. Spare me your conspiracy theory about pulling people over simply because they're Black. Profiling works. That's how the cops get dangerous felons, guns and drugs off the streets. Black people living in crime ridden neighborhoods don't want that to stop, just Whites who don't have to live in those neighborhoods and Black political opportunists.
I'm thinking no one made you their spokesperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies