Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2016, 01:33 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I mean by why.

If you want votes, you don't go out and say "Black people should vote for this candidate". You go to the communities, talk to the voters, listen to them, campaign in their communities. John Kasich did that. Rand Paul went to the people. He acknowledged that there are some issues that have an impact on Blacks. He didn't go on this "Blacks should vote Republican" crap.

And I was not talking about politicians. I was talking about individuals on this thread, individuals that I have run into in public who feel it is their duty to tell me "Black people should vote Republican". I don't see other groups targeted like that.
With the baggage Clinton is carrying, if the Republican party had nominated practically anyone else than Trump, this would not be a race.

Even Cruz could have believably campaigned to blacks on religious grounds, which Trump can't do because religious blacks aren't buying his last-minute conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
With the baggage Clinton is carrying, if the Republican party had nominated practically anyone else than Trump, this would not be a race.

Even Cruz could have believably campaigned to blacks on religious grounds, which Trump can't do because religious blacks aren't buying his last-minute conversion.
If it was anyone but Trump, Clinton would be in trouble. Even Gary Johnson is rising.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The economy has recovered a lot since the last recession, however Blacks have not seen nearly the same amount of recovery and in some ways are WORSE off since Obama was sworn in on Jan 20, 2009.

1 - The number of black Americans on food stamps increased 58.2%, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

2 - The seasonally adjusted labor force participation rate for black Americans across the board dropped from 63.2% percent to 61.7%.

- The seasonally adjusted labor force participation rate for black teenagers dropped from 29.6% to 28.8%.

4 - The percentage of black Americans struggling below the poverty line has increased, according to the most recent Census Bureau data, from 25.8% in 2009 to 26.2% in 2014.

- The real median income among black households, according to the Census Bureau, dropped from $35,954 to $35,398.

- The percentage of black Americans who own homes dropped from 46.1% to 41.9%, according to the Census.

-

Democrats aren't fighting for your vote because they believe you will vote for them unconditionally. They label the GOP as racists whenever statistics like these are brought up showing the empty promises, meanwhile other groups have benefits greatly. Trump has a point, there really isn't much to lose to give the GOP a chance to make good on their promises. It's in their best interests to expand their voting base and Trump wants to work for your votes.

At the end of the day, if you completely hate Trump, still don't just give your vote to Democrats because they won't actually care about you after the election unless you are a swing vote, you need to make them fear you will jump ship if they continue to make empty promises.
So let me follow this logic. There are two loafs of bread on the store shelf. I picked one and when I got home I find that there is mold on the bread. Question: What logic (induction or deduction) would conclude that there would have been no mold or less mold had I chose the other loaf? Answer: NONE. Both loafs of bread could have had mold. In fact, its possible that the other loaf of bread could have actually had MORE mold than the one I chose.

In light of that, simply siting statics of things getting worse for blacks is not demonstration that things would have been better if there had been a republican President.

What is the correct answer.....A or B? Hah....its a trick question.....NEITHER is correct. But neither is not an option....only A or B. Hence....its flawed.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Kasich was my guy before the whole thing started... There is a lot about him to like.

Trump has done some really dumb stuff. no doubt about it. but he is in my opinion far better than the other option. I do think Trump is really does want to do right by minority Americans.

and I think his history in NYC ought to be some kind of balance to the retweets and silly/stupid statements he has made. His ACTIONS... As a businessman Trump seems to have a pretty solid track record of working with minorities in a positive way.

I dunno. too little too late maybe. really there is no reason for African Americans to believe anyone from the Republican side until there is some reason to do so. at this point Mr. Trump is in the community asking for votes. That's more than we have seen in recent years. if he wins, he needs to do things that actually matter... and talk about that.
Kasich actually has a record of working well with Blacks. He's proven he can get the Black vote by not being condescending. He did alright in Ohio. And Ohio is a swing state. Do well in Ohio and you'll do well across the board.

This is the thing. Alot of the dumb stuff was of a racial nature. I can't give anyone the benefit of the doubt on that. My trust for such persons basically goes away after that. And his business record isn't that stellar. He's had four bankruptcies. Consider the discrimination lawsuits against his company. I haven't seen much that makes me think he worked with minorities in a positive way.

To me, it is too little too late. I'm also a very distrusting person. I rarely give people the benefit of the doubt when they've done certain kinds of dumb things. I can't trust them. I think "if you act this stupid, imagine what else you might do".

Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So let me follow this logic. There are two loafs of bread on the store shelf. I picked one and when I got home I find that there is mold on the bread. Question: What logic (induction or deduction) would conclude that there would have been no mold or less mold had I chose the other loaf? Answer: NONE. Both loafs of bread could have had mold. In fact, its possible that the other loaf of bread could have actually had MORE mold than the one I chose.

In light of that, simply siting statics of things getting worse for blacks is not demonstration that things would have been better if there had been a republican President.

What is the correct answer.....A or B? Hah....its a trick question.....NEITHER is correct. But neither is not an option....only A or B. Hence....its flawed.

Not so gray. The reason you chose that particular loaf is because you looked through the clear bag and didn't see the mold. The mold was clearly visible through the bag of the other loaf.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO this is common in all churches and not just black churches, some just hide it better than others. The plane thing was uncommon even for black mega church preachers.

On the bold, my own family has said similar things in regards to the AME church (African Methodist Episcopal). The AME church was one of the first "black institutions" created in America in the 1700s. To this day, they have a leadership organization similar to most large religious organizations with bishops, priests, etc. My maternal family members have been AME members for many years (over 120 years that I have traced). And my paternal line have been Baptists for almost the same time period and some were ministers/preachers in the Baptist church.

My AME family in particular, especially my mom and her relatives have had complaints for years about what happens to all the money as they send a majority of their tithes/offerings to the AME council of bishops. My family has also fallen out with our family's church in the past, whereas my great grandmother actually left the church because it got a new minister in the early 90s who she felt was "sheisty" and she felt mismanaged and mis-directed the church. Her family actually helped to found that particular church in our area and they had been members since the late 1850s. She went to another AME church and had specified in her will (and lol at this because it exudes her feisty personality) that we should hold her funeral at the old church but that that sheisty a$$ pastor was not allowed at her funeral lol. We got the old pastor, who had been re-assigned and who loved my great grandmother come back and eulogize her in the late 1990s when she died.

So we also have these large overseers of sorts who take money and we don't know what they do with it. The Baptist have their own organizational structure depending on who oversees that particular church. However, churches like Creflo Dollar and Eddie Long and other "non-denominational" churches that are not beholden to any organization, they seem more likely IMO to be excessive with their money and flashy and basically make their church leadership look like royalty and live like they are kings and queens.
LOL on your grandmother's final wishes. And good for her.

I honestly wish we'd start holding our politicians and clergy more accountable. It seems like anyone can start a church, we saw a science fiction writer start a fake religion (Scientology) and the government doesn't seem to care. The same government that makes the rest of us jump through hoops at every turn.

With so many people discussing this, why hasn't an AA with clout and a microphone spoken out against it? Are they afraid of the backlash? Fear of the bully pulpit? I'm not talking about Jackson or Sharpton, but anybody else.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think many people don't want to talk about, or they don't see it happening in their specific church. I am also a Catholic and I have never seen any kind of embezzlement going on. Most of these "pastor fleecing the congregation" stuff, I see it more in the inner-city churches or the mega-churches.

In my experiences, I've never been around the "diehards". This could have something to do with the kind of Catholics I've been around. A Catholic church I went to years back(before I moved away) has a school as well, literally attached to the church. I wandered through the church one day and wondered what the classrooms were for. Turns out, that was the Catholic school.

This year I attended Easter services at a church far away from my house. I got the feeling that the people weren't being fleeced for their money, that things seemed to run just right. I'm thinking that this fleecing of the congregation goes on in places where the population is poorer. I think it's a matter of seeing the people as easy to take advantage of.
I'm in a pretty wealthy parish, but the embezzlement was done by the business manager who was a lay person, not part of the clergy. And he was caught by someone who reported to him, who was doing checks and balances without his knowledge. I think it's harder for a parish to get away with something like this due to requirements of the archdiocese. And even though some parishes aren't doing well financially, the Catholic church as a whole, takes in a lot of money and we really don't know where it ends up.

The Catholic schools can really suffer. People who find it difficult to pay tuition drop out, then tuition goes up, and pretty soon a school that once held 800 now has fewer than 300 students.

I was probably around diehards because I was one of them and on the school board, etc.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
LOL on your grandmother's final wishes. And good for her.

I honestly wish we'd start holding our politicians and clergy more accountable. It seems like anyone can start a church, we saw a science fiction writer start a fake religion (Scientology) and the government doesn't seem to care. The same government that makes the rest of us jump through hoops at every turn.

With so many people discussing this, why hasn't an AA with clout and a microphone spoken out against it? Are they afraid of the backlash? Fear of the bully pulpit? I'm not talking about Jackson or Sharpton, but anybody else.
Lots of black people and leaders have spoken out against the black church. I mentioned Carter G. Woodson earlier in his famous book. Various black leaders and celebrities and authors and activists even speak out against church leaders as well.

Similar I think to many people speaking out against the Catholic church and various other majority white American denominations.

However, it is very taboo, even in todays day and age to "mess" with someone's religion and people see an attack on a church as an attack on their religion. And more often than not, black people will do like my great grandmother did and just move to another church when they feel wronged. They don't want to abandon god just because of a man/woman's personal failings in the church. They want to make it better, make amends, etc.

And as stated, all black churches are not like this. I'd say a majority are just regular old gossipy churches. I know Oprah has a new show on her network about what many black people call "Church Mess" lol.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Blacks know they stand to lose nothing voting for Trump and Republicans, and stand to gain nothing voting for Hillary and Democrats. They perceive they are voting against whites and America. Well they're right voting Democrat is voting against average Americans.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Blacks know they stand to lose nothing voting for Trump and Republicans, and stand to gain nothing voting for Hillary and Democrats. They perceive they are voting against whites and America. Well they're right voting Democrat is voting against average Americans.
Then why did John Kasich do so well with Blacks?

Kasich Explains to Conservatives How He Won*African-American Votes - Bloomberg Politics

Your race baiting is only showing you to be a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies