Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:54 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times

Advertisements

I am a non-liberal. I hate 'em, in fact. So call me an anti-liberal.

So does that make me a conservative? Apparently not, since Trump was easily able to convince me he would be the second worse choice ever for president. Thanks, Trump! You have shown me the light!

Gary Johnson for President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This study correlatives with other studies that show that conservatives have a higher tendency to be close minded - so much so that the more facts you cite to refute a conservative's belief, the more likely you just make that person dig in and believe in it even more.

From the Economist: Yes, I

This type of personal characteristics to dig in despite overwhelming facts to the contrary, couple with a conservative's tendency to believe in conspiracy, make it easy to manipulate them.

In addition, conservatives are more likely to engage in "magical thinking" - believing in pure fantasy or generally nonfact based bias.

All of the above combine to this: a typical conservative is not interested in facts. His/her belief is not based on facts, facts have no effect on making a typical conservative sees the truth, and it only serves to make the conservative dig in the heels. Furthermore, they engage in "magical thinking", basically inventing their own fantasy/fear and base their belief around it.

If you've ever wonder why all the facts you cited are so easily brushed off but the lies stick like glue to certain demographic. This helps to explain why.

So how to do you convince a conservative? If anyone has ever done it, let me know.
Speaking of truth, you made this whole thing up. Just a bunch of gibberish that has nothing to back it up.
Go ahead and show proof that less government doesn't work. Go ahead and show proof how government intervening in our daily lives has been successful. Go ahead and show proof how big governments one size fits all approach works.

You can't and you won't even try.

But then again why would an absurd post like this come as a surprise? Why it has to be true, BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID. No facts, just because someone said.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-09-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I wonder if there is a way. Countless threads on this forum where outlandish claims are refuted with accurate information from reputable sources and it doesn't change the conversation at all.

One candidate has devoted her adult life to making things better, increasing access to medical care for families, improving the treatment of women... and she is constantly accused of doing all this to line her own pockets.
Improving the treatment of women? LMAO hahahahahahahahaha

Is that why she has accepted over 10 million in bribes from the Saudis? A country that doesn't allow women to drive and penalizes rape victims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While the other candidate has spent his life lining his own pockets, often by defrauding others. Yet he is touted as the great white hope.
Good to see your racism out in the open.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
More easily fooled eh?

Like " If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

You know what would really help is if Democrats in power would only stop lying.
or
I will bring the troops home right away you can take that too the bank.
or
your premiums won't go up.
or
the economy will recover if you follow our plan
or
this bailout is needed for the economy to recover
or....

Obama is a serial liar and his minions are morally and ethically bankrupt.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Who presented facts that either Iraq or Syria is our enemy? Nobody believes that.

It is their leaders Saddam Hussein and Bashar al-Assad who have been looked upon as enemies of the US (and their own people at times as well). This is why Iraqi and Syrian refugees have been accepted and why the US has supported rebellions against dictatorships.

The US has never liked thug dictators much (until Trump).
The US has supported rebellions in the Middle East in order to protect our own oil interests.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Who presented facts that either Iraq or Syria is our enemy? Nobody believes that.

It is their leaders Saddam Hussein and Bashar al-Assad who have been looked upon as enemies of the US (and their own people at times as well). This is why Iraqi and Syrian refugees have been accepted and why the US has supported rebellions against dictatorships.

The US has never liked thug dictators much (until Trump).
We sure are killing a lot of our supporters then.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:23 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,648,397 times
Ha! Your article suffers from the same premise that it's trying to make. The authors belive, despite evidence that proves otherwise, that Politifact is an unbiased website. They further go on to state that man made climate change is settled science, which intelligent people know is far from settled. (And if your going to dispute this, please educate yourself and don't cite Al Gore's "97% of scientists" BS.)

Sorry, but for your effort, you score an F.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
More easily fooled eh?

Like " If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor."

You know what would really help is if Democrats in power would only stop lying.

Nah, more like buying into the "Well, I don't remember" excuse.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
There's good information in the OP. Sadly though it'll fail to register with the conservatives. They will continue to cling to their delusions of how they see the world.

This forum is a showcase of conservative paranoia. Every day I'm amazed at the lengths they'll go to in order to deny science and logic, even when facts are presented for all to see. Some of them have turned the way they bend and stretch the truth to fit their agenda into a true art form. It would be amusing if it weren't ao sad.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:05 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
I generally find that people who feel the need to write or speak at length about how and why they are smarter or better than another group, are seriously flawed in their own ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies