Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:38 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times

Advertisements

Please try to explain some things to me.

Why do legitimate protests so often become violent riots, where looting and destroying your OWN COMMUNITY is becoming commonplace?

Why do so many protesters seem to mobilize immediately when a shooting involves police, yet the almost daily killings of young black men, and sometimes children, due to gang violence never seems to elicit anywhere near the same response?

Why, at this point, are parents, churches, and community groups not educating all black youths that you must COMPLY with the police completely if you are stopped. I know there are instances where compliance has still been met with excessive police force, and I want those cops held accountable, and prosecuted if evidence warrants it. But too many of these cases still show people not obeying the cops instructions. This incident in N Carolina involves a man being shot after getting out of his car WITH A GUN! How can you expect sympathy for your cause when you defend someone this STUPID?

Why, after so many years, do blacks still vote over 90% democratic, yet what have all these democrat politicians done to improve the lives of those in black communities? You accuse the GOP of not caring about the black vote, but why should they? If any particular candidate or official knows that there is no chance of black support no matter what they say or do, why should they waste their time?

Why do so many of you shout 'racism' at even the slightest instance of a white person disagreeing with you? For 8 yrs now, whenever someone who is white criticizes Obama, that person is called racist. It seems like you can't disagree with our president if you are white. I'm sure someone will call this post racist. Why, because I am being critical of blacks? The more you throw the word around, the less it means.

Why are some communities calling for more police protection, yet protest when those same police try to inforce the law?

Finally, how can you ignore the simple, statistical fact that the number of incarcerated blacks is way out of proportion to the overall black population? Do most of you really believe that the only reason for this is simply discrimination by police and the courts all across the country? Are the majority of these incarcerated individuals innocent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Good luck.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroit View Post
good luck.
+1

Old 09-21-2016, 08:53 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
All very valid questions. Don't expect logical answers from the people you're addressing though!

Old 09-21-2016, 09:03 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

Why do legitimate protests so often become violent riots, where looting and destroying your OWN COMMUNITY is becoming commonplace?

Why do so many protesters seem to mobilize immediately when a shooting involves police, yet the almost daily killings of young black men, and sometimes children, due to gang violence never seems to elicit anywhere near the same response?

Why, at this point, are parents, churches, and community groups not educating all black youths that you must COMPLY with the police completely if you are stopped. I know there are instances where compliance has still been met with excessive police force, and I want those cops held accountable, and prosecuted if evidence warrants it. But too many of these cases still show people not obeying the cops instructions. This incident in N Carolina involves a man being shot after getting out of his car WITH A GUN! How can you expect sympathy for your cause when you defend someone this STUPID?

Why, after so many years, do blacks still vote over 90% democratic, yet what have all these democrat politicians done to improve the lives of those in black communities? You accuse the GOP of not caring about the black vote, but why should they? If any particular candidate or official knows that there is no chance of black support no matter what they say or do, why should they waste their time?

Why do so many of you shout 'racism' at even the slightest instance of a white person disagreeing with you? For 8 yrs now, whenever someone who is white criticizes Obama, that person is called racist. It seems like you can't disagree with our president if you are white. I'm sure someone will call this post racist. Why, because I am being critical of blacks? The more you throw the word around, the less it means.

Why are some communities calling for more police protection, yet protest when those same police try to inforce the law?

Finally, how can you ignore the simple, statistical fact that the number of incarcerated blacks is way out of proportion to the overall black population? Do most of you really believe that the only reason for this is simply discrimination by police and the courts all across the country? Are the majority of these incarcerated individuals innocent?
You have to realize that 1-4% of any society is total scum no matter what their race is and many times in the black community, these scum are looking for a reason to riot, loot, steal etc and the police shooting give them a way to do that if they see a protest going on.

Most of the protest are about unfair treatment by police to blacks vs whites in a similar situation, but alot of good working class blacks do appreciate what the cops do in trying to keep their community safe.

Most peoples anger towards police are for traffic tickets or when cops take 1hr to show up in black area for some calls or dont even show up at all when you report your car stolen, but will respond very swift in white areas.

MANY parents, churches, and community groups DO educate black youths that you must COMPLY with the police completely if you are stopped, but like ai said before that 1-4% rule applies or scum and ignorance.

Democratic voting seems to be more brain washing, and I cant explain that.

Everything isnt racism either, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion to disagree with others, but im more of a logical thinker though.

But burning down your own community makes zero sense to me!!!

Last edited by SAAN; 09-21-2016 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 09:13 AM

652 posts, read 340,899 times
I also don't expect many reasonable responses to your questions. But they are good questions, and respectfully presented. I agree that someone will probably call you a racist just for asking them.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 AM

148 posts, read 137,569 times
Quote:

1.)Because people are angry and sometimes that anger boils over. However there are more peaceful, noeventful protests than there are riots. Want to guess what gets nationwide coverage?? Also do you ask these same questions when people destroy property because their team did/didn't win?

2.)Again do you actually seek out information on "black on black" crime protests or do you wait for the media to show it to you? Do you live in a neighborhood to even know what black people, churches & communities are telling their children? North Carolina is an open carry state, the most they should have done is asked to see his permit ( if he actually had a gun). I've also heard reports the NC police were in plain clothes.

3.) Republicans either say the ssues don't exist or that they exist because of some inate flaw within the black community. I'd rather vote for a flawed candidate who is willing to acknowledge issues that affect my family than the candidate who ignores or blames.

4.) People want police to see them as people, as individuals and to be treated as such. You expect an officer to approach you in a certain manner and not automatically assume you are guilty of something, throw against a wall and frisk you. You expect to be able to ask what you did and not be met with force. It's possible to want police to do their job and to also ask not to be harassed.

5.) If you ignore the history of this country and act as if all people have always been treated equally then I'm sure it makes sense to you to assume people of color are jailed more because they are more violent. Most people in jail are there for drug offenses, not violent crime. People of color are less likely to get a plea deal, less likely to get bail and more likely to get arrested for things others may get a warning for.

But typing all of that out was a waste of time. Because if you really wanted answers you would have googled and done some research.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post
North Carolina is an open carry state, the most they should have done is asked to see his permit ( if he actually had a gun). I've also heard reports the NC police were in plain clothes.
According to authorities, the cop who shot him was in plain clothes, but wearing a protective vest emblazoned with POLICE. He was accompanied by uniformed officers.

As for open carry, I don't think NC even requires a permit, but I may be wrong. That said, if he was just walking down the street with a holstered firearm he would still be alive today. But if he refused police commands and/or reached for or pointed a gun at the officers, then he wasn't openly carrying, but was a threat to their safety and they'd be justified in shooting him.

I'm not a fan of open carry for this very reason, but when I carry concealed in my car I know better than to go grabbing for my firearm during a traffic stop. It's much safer to put both hands outside the window on your car door and wait for instructions.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 AM

148 posts, read 137,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
According to authorities, the cop who shot him was in plain clothes, but wearing a protective vest emblazoned with POLICE. He was accompanied by uniformed officers.

As for open carry, I don't think NC even requires a permit, but I may be wrong. That said, if he was just walking down the street with a holstered firearm he would still be alive today. But if he refused police commands and/or reached for or pointed a gun at the officers, then he wasn't openly carrying, but was a threat to their safety and they'd be justified in shooting him.

I'm not a fan of open carry for this very reason, but when I carry concealed in my car I know better than to go grabbing for my firearm during a traffic stop. It's much safer to put both hands outside the window on your car door and wait for instructions.
But the guy in the NC case wasn't even the person the police were looking for. Full reports aren't out but they said they "observed" him get in and out of the car with a gun. In an open carry state they should approach with caution, but he shouldn't be seen as an immediate threat for having a gun. And again that's if he had a gun. We've seen cases before where other objects were mistaken for guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 4,332 times
Quote:

1. Frustration builds up and eventually boils over. Keep in mind that these are less educated black people in poverty stricken areas, and a lot of whom feel as though there is no suitable outlet for their frustrations whether you view them as legitimate or not.

2. Non gang members in the Aa community loathe gangs. But gangs aren't given the authority that officers of the law are. That makes their discriminatory practices unacceptable.

3. As a young black male I feel as though I have been targeted unfairly by the police several times. We all have or have a close relationship with someone who has. We can relate and understand that our particular situations could have easily escalated through no or very little fault of our own. Also, police narratives are often misleading or downright false.

4. We vote democrat not because we have inherent belief in the party. We do because we know a disproportionate percentage of blacks live in poverty. We want the youth in poverty to have a chance to succeed even if the parent is a lost cause. If a child goes to bed hungry one night, he/she will stretch or ignore morals the next night for a meal. Also parents political beliefs are often passed to their offspring (civil rights act) Plus the alternative has given us no reason to rethink any of this. I could go on.

5. I think this is overstated, but with that in mind we perceive situations differently because we've had different experiences. I don't have esp but I do believe that there are a lot of people who are inherently racist and a majority of them don't realize it. Thus they get offended when called on it because they honestly believe it doesn't apply.

6. We want to be safe yet not discriminated against or targeted.

7. Not that simple. We are more prone to gravitate toward crime when positive opportunities are scarce. And eventually when you hear a particular narrative for so long you may start to believe it and the situation becomes a perpetual downward spiral. But alas yes whites are more likely to commit particular crimes and are punished less severely if/when they are caught. Because we are all need profiled by officers whether you choose to believe it or not.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies