Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Donald (it is a position look it up) grew up in a gated community and learned to be the KING of all he surveyed, not to mention to be a master business sleaze, and will try to be King of all the Americas if he is elected. I expect the first thing he will do if Congress defies His Will is to declare an emergency and suspend the Constitution and rule from himself.
I am sure you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 04:52 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver_Husker View Post
**Full disclosure.....I support Trump and will be voting for him.**

I'm a firm believer that most of us really don't care for the notion of democracy. We support the candidates that mirror our beliefs only, and we are mostly annoyed by the beliefs of others. If your candidate supports your beliefs, regardless of their executive style...you'll probably support them. Likewise if a candidate "mostly" supports your beliefs but shows a willingness to compromise...we dislike that as well.

Trump is stylistically a dictator which is why he admires the leadership style of Sisi in Egypt and Putin in Russia. They are dictators....the Russians and Egyptians that happen to ideologically line up with Putin and Sisi don't mind their dictatorial style because they mirror their personal beliefs. Americans that ideologically line up with Trump, most likely wouldn't mind the dictatorial style of Trump and his aggressive nature against those that don't agree with him. Trump hates those that disagree with him...as do most of us. Whether we're willing to admit it or not.

I'm posting this thread as more of a commentary on executive styles and our willingness to be "lead" as long as we agree with the central tenants of the leader as opposed to an endorsement of Trump or Clinton. Do you agree? Disagree? Do most people prefer the vacillations of a leader willing to bend or a strong-willed "dictator" style leader?
Well, OP, I do think that many people will overlook certain tendencies in their chosen candidate if that candidate more closely aligns with their philosophy.
I also think that Trump has an authoritarian nature and that his leadership motto is likely something along the lines of "because I said so."

I read through most of the responses in the thread and I am surprised that people are denying the validity of your analysis when many have championed exactly the sort of pushback and vengeful behavior that Trump exhibits and have given those qualities as reasons for voting for him.

I guess it is hard for some to admit that they do indeed admire those qualities and identify with them.

As to your last question, I am a firm believer in the art of compromise so prefer the former.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:

I'm a firm believer that most of us really don't care for the notion of democracy. We support the candidates that mirror our beliefs only, and we are mostly annoyed by the beliefs of others. If your candidate supports your beliefs, regardless of their executive style...you'll probably support them. Likewise if a candidate "mostly" supports your beliefs but shows a willingness to compromise...we dislike that as well.

Trump is stylistically a dictator which is why he admires the leadership style of Sisi in Egypt and Putin in Russia. They are dictators....the Russians and Egyptians that happen to ideologically line up with Putin and Sisi don't mind their dictatorial style because they mirror their personal beliefs. Americans that ideologically line up with Trump, most likely wouldn't mind the dictatorial style of Trump and his aggressive nature against those that don't agree with him. Trump hates those that disagree with him...as do most of us. Whether we're willing to admit it or not.

I'm posting this thread as more of a commentary on executive styles and our willingness to be "lead" as long as we agree with the central tenants of the leader as opposed to an endorsement of Trump or Clinton. Do you agree? Disagree? Do most people prefer the vacillations of a leader willing to bend or a strong-willed "dictator" style leader?
Trump doesn't exactly strike as a dictator per se, but more like one of those corrupt Latin American populist leaders who won support through bluster and swagger over actual substance.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who could see Trump grabbing his testicles with both hands during a speech and shouting, "It's because I got THESE!" to thunderous applause.

I don't think Trump is the next Hitler. Nor do I think he is significantly worse than Hillary. I don't even think Trump is dumb; I actually think he is a lot more intelligent than what many people think. However, there is certainly a strain of immaturity, bombast, narcissism, and a simplistic worldview that runs through his speeches and actions.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Trump doesn't exactly strike as a dictator per se, but more like one of those corrupt Latin American populist leaders who won support through bluster and swagger over actual substance.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who could see Trump grabbing his testicles with both hands during a speech and shouting, "It's because I got THESE!" to thunderous applause.

I don't think Trump is the next Hitler. Nor do I think he is significantly worse than Hillary. I don't even think Trump is dumb; I actually think he is a lot more intelligent than what many people think. However, there is certainly a strain of immaturity, bombast, narcissism, and a simplistic worldview that runs through his speeches and actions.
(Chuckles) That is actually a fairly good description--and prediction (testicles grabbing)--of Trump.

Would you agree with Gilbert Doctorow's assessment of Trump in his comments between roughly the 1:20 minute mark to the roughly 2:51 minute mark of the video below.

I know Doctorow subscribes to the view not only are neocons ideologically driven but so are liberal imperialists. He claims Trump is void of ideology (at least on foreign affairs) and is a pragmatist due to a career in business and not politics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzcz_amy6s

Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
(Chuckles) That is actually a fairly good description--and prediction (testicles grabbing)--of Trump.

Would you agree with Gilbert Doctorow's assessment of Trump in his comments between roughly the 1:20 minute mark to the roughly 2:51 minute mark of the video below.

I know Doctorow subscribes to the view not only are neocons ideologically driven but so are liberal imperialists. He claims Trump is void of ideology (at least on foreign affairs) and is a pragmatist due to a career in business and not politics.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzcz_amy6s
I actually think that foreign policy is one area where probably won't suck and despite being a newcomer to politics; I think he can deal with Putin better than Hillary.

The thing about Putin is that he is Russian Nationalist and is a believer in the Realist school of foreign policy. The reason why Putin has run circles around everyone is purely because everyone seems to forget what he is or not understand what he is. There was an interview a while back where a reporter asked Putin what the West can do to be friends with Russia and Putin said (probably not an exact quote), "Russia doesn't have friends. It has interests."

Even if you don't believe in the Realist school of foreign policy, it is important to realize that Putin does and I think Trump gets that. I think that Trump respects that. I also think that even though Putin might view Trump as a bit of a buffoon; I think that probably has more respect for Trump for understanding his point of view than he would Hillary.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
I think Trump is without question a dictatorial style person. I just happen to agree with his positions...so I'm happy that he has that mentality. It's encouraging and unwavering, which I appreciate. That was the point of my thread. People don't like the notion of democracy or compromise....they like leaders that enforce their will unwaveringly.

Based on WHAt other than your imagination?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
we always have toyed with the idea of a dictator, john adams put newspaper editor in jail who disagreed with him, kennedy was ready to start WW3 because of a few missiles in cuba,the whole country fell apart under lincolns worthless rule, truman exterminated countless innocent lives with the bomb,dont get me started with reagan, really.. how much worst can trump be??

Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:

There are people that I do not like based on their thinking. That being said, I do not agree with the dictatorial style. Why? I value freedom. I value democracy, my rights. I may not agree with everything a leader does. However, when a leader drifts into dictatorship, then that is the end of democracy. A leader can stick to his principles without being dictatorial.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:59 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
we always have toyed with the idea of a dictator, john adams put newspaper editor in jail who disagreed with him, kennedy was ready to start WW3 because of a few missiles in cuba,the whole country fell apart under lincolns worthless rule, truman exterminated countless innocent lives with the bomb,dont get me started with reagan, really.. how much worst can trump be??
With Kennedy, I can understand because those were Soviet missiles aimed at us. He didn't get dictatorial with the USA. He got tough with a power trying to invade. Now, John Adams was a dictator. Freedom of speech rights were violated when he through an editor in jail for disagreeing with him.

Trump is considering a national stop and frisk for the whole nation. Violation of the 4th amendment. If he will violate everyone's 4th amendment rights, imagine how much more he could do?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Where are all the other threads? What is going on in here?

Yes, Trump is used to having things his way. That may prove to be a problem for him, but I still support his position on many things -- giving businesses tax breaks to keep them in the USA, demands that vetting of foreigners is 100% safe for us, he's pro-cop and unashamed of that. Trump doesn't mince his words or feelings. He's all about keeping out illegals, human traffickers, drug smugglers and Muslims who may have ulterior motives for coming here. Hillary doesn't seem to think these things are important. She thinks it's racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies