Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

Ideologies aside, how is it possible that any intelligent educated person could think that any Republican can beat a Democrat in a presidential general election in today's environment? By the numbers, Democrats have the overwhelming majority of minority voters. Statistically, minority voters encompass anywhere from 30-40% of the total vote. And we know that white voters are going to be split. So statistically, how is it possible for any Republican candidate to win?

In the past it was different. Republicans were more moderate. But since the Tea Party and Evangelicals hijacked the party and drove away what minimal minority support they had, how in the world did any of you think Trump or any Republican candidate for that matter would have a chance at winning the presidency? Just by the numbers, it makes no sense how a Republican can win

It amazes me that some people actually think Trump is going to win or has a chance at winning. Are these people truly blind or just resorting to homerism?

My final question to Republicans in this forum, how many more Presidential losses will it take before Republicans stop catering to Evangelicals and Tea Party members and focus on Moderates? Your current strategy is failing. Do you intend to change it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
One thing to consider: having support does mean having votes BUT not everyone votes. It's true that the Democrats have the minority vote, but not every minority is going to vote. It's true that Democrats tend to be more appealing to young people and millennials, but they don't all always vote either.

For whatever reasons, Republicans do have somewhat better consistency with voter turn out, particularly in congressional elections. Democrats fair well in presidential elections, and I do sort of expect Hillary to win (though I also never saw Trump getting this far, so I'm not naive enough to say he can't win), but even then, Republican voters turn out better than Democrat voters. Young people are especially problematic in this regard. Also, working people who maybe don't have time to vote. That effects both parties, though if you ask the average forum dweller here, only Republicans are employed.

Do also keep in mind the low approval ratings of Hillary. I know Trumps are low, but there are pretty easy to figure out reasons as to why that is. Hillary is basically you're average politicians and her low approval ratings reflect something a little deeper than Trumps. Not like an inexperienced loudmouth is hardly a shock. Not liking a politician, to this extent, is a little upsetting. It's actually upsetting for the same reason that people LIKING Trump is upsetting. It's evidence that people are unbelievably dissatisfied. Those people are dangerous to the establishment if they show initiative. Thus far, the more angry conservatives have done more than the angry liberals. If the angry liberals got their way, it would be a Bernie/Trump election.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:37 PM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
Republicans have little chance as illegals can vote.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:38 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
One thing to consider: having support does mean having votes BUT not everyone votes. It's true that the Democrats have the minority vote, but not every minority is going to vote. It's true that Democrats tend to be more appealing to young people and millennials, but they don't all always vote either.

For whatever reasons, Republicans do have somewhat better consistency with voter turn out, particularly in congressional elections. Democrats fair well in presidential elections, and I do sort of expect Hillary to win (though I also never saw Trump getting this far, so I'm not naive enough to say he can't win), but even then, Republican voters turn out better than Democrat voters. Young people are especially problematic in this regard. Also, working people who maybe don't have time to vote. That effects both parties, though if you ask the average forum dweller here, only Republicans are employed.

Do also keep in mind the low approval ratings of Hillary. I know Trumps are low, but there are pretty easy to figure out reasons as to why that is. Hillary is basically you're average politicians and her low approval ratings reflect something a little deeper than Trumps. Not like an inexperienced loudmouth is hardly a shock. Not liking a politician, to this extent, is a little upsetting. It's actually upsetting for the same reason that people LIKING Trump is upsetting. It's evidence that people are unbelievably dissatisfied. Those people are dangerous to the establishment if they show initiative. Thus far, the more angry conservatives have done more than the angry liberals. If the angry liberals got their way, it would be a Bernie/Trump election.
Had the Republicans nominated Kasich--he would be winning by 7-10 pts..easy.

But they don't want to win...they want to rant--so..enter Trump.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Yeah, I heard some Republicans making such stupid comments about eight years ago.

It's not much different than what you heard from Auburn fans just a few years ago.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:42 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Republicans have little chance as illegals can vote.
And the vast majority of the media is massively biased to the left, teachers are biased to the left and push politics in the classroom and democrats buy votes with tax dollars. It's amazing how many intelligent people have overcome the brainwashing and don't blindly vote (D), and completely predictable how many weak minded do.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

Some points to consider

1. Moderates who were traditionally Republican are voting with Democrats due to the extreme social policies the Republicans have adopted lately. These so-called Reagan Republicans have switched parties.

2. Republicans who won in the past had more minority support. George W. Bush had roughly 40% of the Hispanic vote. That number fell to 20% for Romney in the last election. That number will drop further with Trump. Knowing that, how can a Republican win?

3. Poll numbers have shown Hillary in the lead. She was leading by double digits one month ago. Now, she is still leading by 7 points, that's still a large lead.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And the vast majority of the media is massively biased to the left, teachers are biased to the left and push politics in the classroom and democrats buy votes with tax dollars. It's amazing how many intelligent people have overcome the brainwashing and don't blindly vote (D), and completely predictable how many weak minded do.
That is one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is equality is an American ideal not a liberal one. And therefore, teachers and the media still embrace American ideals while Republicans have strayed from that and have begun adopting fascism to appeal to blue collar white voters to channel their anger and feed off of it.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Had the Republicans nominated Kasich--he would be winning by 7-10 pts..easy.

But they don't want to win...they want to rant--so..enter Trump.
Probably. ****, I'd probably vote Kasich over Clinton. I disagree with him on more, but I think he's more principled and he seems relatively reasonable. He's shown willingness to work with Democrats. To Hillary's credit, she does show some willingness to work with Republicans, but she still says super divisive ****. Kasich is polite.

He's also boring. Trumps exciting, so he makes the news. That's why he won. Someone looked at the amount of news coverage for each GOP candidate and how well they did in the polls, matching them up. There's a correlation of .96, which is as close to a straight line as it gets. More coverage means better results in an election. Trump knew this of course. His over the top persona generates interest and a media more concerned with making investors happy knows that what's exciting will get views and bump up ratings. Trump knew that this is how he could win. Kasich didn't. Or if he did, he wasn't willing to compromise his values to do so. Some had less of a problem. Rubio didn't mind playing the game a bit in his various back and forth fights with Trump on the debate stage about "hand size" (we all know what part of the body he meant).

Old 09-27-2016, 06:50 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
The congress shanannigans have hurt a lot of people literally! They reps blame the dems, but they in the same boat and people are royally sick of them. They went for trump on hopes to change the playing field in Washington , but even though he is a strong person, he has no knowledge how to play the game of politics. Hillary cut him 100 ways and he walked away thinking he was whole, until went around the corners and fell apart. Wall Street and the no no no congress has made a mess. Instead of just saying NO, they did not produce any ideas. The dems did not fold, just because the reps did not want to cooperate - life not perfect, but we did not stay stagnant like the republican congress - they have lost their base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies