Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 05:34 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,283,325 times

Advertisements

It's actually going to be interesting to watch Trump use the bully pulpit. We haven't had a bully as a president before, in my lifetime at least, and there's never been a pulpit so easy to use as we have today.

Unless Twitter/YouTube et al close his accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The review was political so its not out of bounds. The worst restaurant in America- yea ok.
And how is that political?
The review was on food alone. Manhattan is the epicurean center of the United States, second only to Paris as the center for the finest cuisine in the world.

Any high-priced restaurant there has to be excellent as a matter of routine, because superb food can be found just down the block.

I read the review. All it said was the Trump Grill's food was directed at tourists who want to take Trump bragging rights back home, that the food was the same stuff they could order in a good midwest restaurant, just smothered in exotic-sounding sauces.

The entire menu probably had to meet Trump's own tastes, and we all know he likes burgers, KFC, and other common food. At the same time, he's always bragged that the Trump brand denotes the highest level of quality and sophistication, and he brands everything he gets into with Trump this or Trump that.

Trump is extra thin-skinned when it comes to any criticism from within Manhattan. He's a boy from the outer burroughs, a kid from the urban boondocks of NYC, and has always resented the old-line elites who have dominated Manhattan society for 300 years.

That's why he lives in a gold-plated 3-floor penthouse suite. Gotta show he is as rich as they are, and as sophisticated, even though he's not either one. And knows it. That's why he's so touchy and quick to punch back at the slightest offense.

Vanity Fair, however, is indeed part of the Manhattan elite, and Condé Nast, its publisher, knows their territory extremely well. It's publications have set fashion in Manhattan for 100 years. Vanity Fair and The New Yorker are Manhattan's go-to monthly mags everyone who is anyone reads.
In addition to those two, Condé publishes Allure, Architectural Digest, Ars Technica, Bon Appétit, Brides, Condé Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Glamour, Golf Digest, GQ, Pitchfork, Self, Teen Vogue, Vogue, W, Wired, and Reddit. 184 million consumers a month.

That's not going to change from a Tweet by a twit any time soon, even if he was elected President.

Twitter isn't that powerful just yet.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-16-2016 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 04:08 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,708,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And how is that political?
The review was on food alone. Manhattan is the epicurean center of the United States, second only to Paris as the center for the finest cuisine in the world.

Any high-priced restaurant there has to be excellent as a matter of routine, because superb food can be found just down the block.

I read the review. All it said was the Trump Grill's food was directed at tourists who want to take Trump bragging rights back home, that the food was the same stuff they could order in a good midwest restaurant, just smothered in exotic-sounding sauces.

The entire menu probably had to meet Trump's own tastes, and we all know he likes burgers, KFC, and other common food. At the same time, he's always bragged that the Trump brand denotes the highest level of quality and sophistication, and he brands everything he gets into with Trump this or Trump that.

Trump is extra thin-skinned when it comes to any criticism from within Manhattan. He's a boy from the outer burroughs, a kid from the urban boondocks of NYC, and has always resented the old-line elites who have dominated Manhattan society for 300 years.

That's why he lives in a gold-plated 3-floor penthouse suite. Gotta show he is as rich as they are, and as sophisticated, even though he's not either one. And knows it. That's why he's so touchy and quick to punch back at the slightest offense.

Vanity Fair, however, is indeed part of the Manhattan elite, and Condé Nast, its publisher, knows their territory extremely well. It's publications have set fashion in Manhattan for 100 years. Vanity Fair and The New Yorker are Manhattan's go-to monthly mags everyone who is anyone reads.
In addition to those two, Condé publishes Allure, Architectural Digest, Ars Technica, Bon Appétit, Brides, Condé Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Glamour, Golf Digest, GQ, Pitchfork, Self, Teen Vogue, Vogue, W, Wired, and Reddit. 184 million consumers a month.

That's not going to change from a Tweet by a twit any time soon, even if he was elected President.

Twitter isn't that powerful just yet.
Twitter, as used by the PE, is the current version of "Newspeak", and we are all as doomed as Winston. For those who have no idea how ungood this is... In the spirit of the twitter/newspeak universe, here is the Cliff Notes explanation:

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatu...se-of-newspeak

Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Default I'm starting to like this Duterte guy!

His announcement? Read: We can survive without American money," he said.

Now THIS is the kinda leader that I wish our other so called "allies" had.

And please, don't tell me about what a horrible man he is. He can be as horrible as he wants to be as long as he doesn't do it with our money.

Philippines' Duterte to U.S. over aid: 'Bye-bye America'

Old 12-17-2016, 06:46 PM

33,586 posts, read 18,199,670 times
Wow, a big 600 troops..yeah, he just might get along with Trump..

Duterte, who has had a difficult relationship with President Obama, said he would change his mindset if President-elect Donald Trump appeals to him. "I have talked to Trump, he was very nice, very courteous," he said. "I could not sense any hostile drift, or even the manner he was saying it, so, in deference, I'll just wait."
Philippine President Duterte: I can be friend to Trump

"I will let Obama fade away and if he disappears, then I will begin to reassess," Duterte said, adding that he and Trump acknowledged each other's similarly brash manners.
"We talk in the same language," Duterte said. He recalled that when he told Trump in a recent phone call that "I like your mouth, it's like mine," he said Trump responded by saying, "Yes, Mr. President, we're similar."
"And you know, people with the same feather flock together," Duterte said.
Despite the latest sharp words about the U.S. from Duterte, the Trump administration could re-establish the partnership without sacrificing America's core values, said Patrick Cronin, director of the Asia-Pacific Security Program at the Center for a New American Security in Washington.
"The Philippines and the United States have long, multi-layered relationship between our two societies, and Manila and Washington share a great deal of interests with respect to maintaining regional order," Cronin told USA TODAY.
Contributing: The Associated Press.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...rica/95557384/

Old 12-17-2016, 07:15 PM

30,303 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wow, a big 600 troops..yeah, he just might get along with Trump..

Duterte, who has had a difficult relationship with President Obama, said he would change his mindset if President-elect Donald Trump appeals to him. "I have talked to Trump, he was very nice, very courteous," he said. "I could not sense any hostile drift, or even the manner he was saying it, so, in deference, I'll just wait."
Philippine President Duterte: I can be friend to Trump

"I will let Obama fade away and if he disappears, then I will begin to reassess," Duterte said, adding that he and Trump acknowledged each other's similarly brash manners.
"We talk in the same language," Duterte said. He recalled that when he told Trump in a recent phone call that "I like your mouth, it's like mine," he said Trump responded by saying, "Yes, Mr. President, we're similar."
"And you know, people with the same feather flock together," Duterte said.
Despite the latest sharp words about the U.S. from Duterte, the Trump administration could re-establish the partnership without sacrificing America's core values, said Patrick Cronin, director of the Asia-Pacific Security Program at the Center for a New American Security in Washington.
"The Philippines and the United States have long, multi-layered relationship between our two societies, and Manila and Washington share a great deal of interests with respect to maintaining regional order," Cronin told USA TODAY.
Contributing: The Associated Press.
Philippines' Duterte to U.S. over aid: 'Bye-bye America'
But...wait a minute, I thought Trump wouldn't be able to deal with world leaders because of his "harsh" language.

Liberals fail again.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:17 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,402,806 times
Philippines' Duterte: 'Bye-Bye America,' We Don't Need Your Money | The Huffington Post

Mr. Duterte, I wish you much fortune. Should you ever feel a deep pain in your kuyukot, please ask China for help.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:19 PM

39,256 posts, read 27,655,778 times
lol Personally, I hate this guy. I think he is an ungrateful little turd.

But since he is the Chinese ***** now, I hope he keeps his promises.

DON'T TAKE ANY MONEY FROM US AND WE CAN BE WONDERFUL WITHOUT HIM.

Go away, please.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,555,342 times
I liked him ever since he called Obama some derogatory name.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 PM

39,256 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Philippines' Duterte: 'Bye-Bye America,' We Don't Need Your Money | The Huffington Post

Mr. Duterte, I wish you much fortune. Should you ever feel a deep pain in your kuyukot, please ask China for help.
Please ask China for help, PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies