Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
IMO, "dreads" look awful no matter who they are on. I just don't like them.
But, if YOU want to fix your hair that way, go for it. It is, after all, YOUR hair! Put it in "dreads" or cut it all off, I don't care. Since I do not live with you, whether I like it or not actually has no importance whatsoever!
Yep, and that's EXACTLY how it should be. To each, his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,980,010 times
More divisiveness. More groupthink crap. More ways to try to put down others so you can feel more 'equal but better' than the other person/group. More teenage-like need to be different while doing all the same things. More stupid arguments made by those who 'feeeel' they are 'speshul' and should be recognized as such or darn it ... pay me for the right to do what I do because it is my heritage and it is not yours.

We are truly scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. Micro-focussing.

Or ... maybe I am just jealous because in order to wear dreadlocks I would have to wear a wig.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
whites have had dreads ever since the 60s when it became cool to be a stoner.
I saw dreds on white mountain man hermits long before the surfers began to wear them in the 60s.

A hairstyle? I guess so, if a person who wears them cleans their hair and gets them trimmed and other hairstyle stuff.

The old misfits I saw just let their hair grow and never combed it or cleaned it. Anyone with curly or wavy hair can grow them with prolonged inattention to their hair. All it takes is rolling the long hair between your hands once in a while to keep it out of your eyes.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,230,117 times
It is cultural appropriation. By definition. Cultural appropriation is the adoption of a custom from one culture into another. To my knowledge, and maybe I'm wrong in certain area, dreadlocks have no history in Europe or the West. Dreadlocks are largely confined to Africa and some Eastern/Middle East cultures. I guess one could make an effort to say that Christianity came from the Middle East so dreadlocks are part of Christian culture, I'd probably disagree. So yes, a white guy wearing dreadlocks is committing cultural appropriation in my mind, and that's more so an objective fact.

But is it unethical to do so?

I don't think so. Not at all. I'd argue that are two ways to appropriate culture. A good way and a bad way. Good way is just being a part of that culture or doing something that the particular culture does because you enjoy doing it. You prefer Buddhism over traditional Western Christianity. You like dreadlocks. Latin American music is more energetic. That's all perfectly fine and getting mad about this is absolutely absurd. Then there's dressing up as an Indian man and listing of stereotypes. There's using a racial slur as the name for a football team. One is condescending, one is celebrating. The difference is not that hard. Few things are black and white, and there is surely some gray area, but really, it's not that hard, I don't think.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 AM

20,729 posts, read 19,390,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Why is it okay for black people to staighten their hair?
They don't just straighten their hair. They buy weaves which originate from Asians.

Liberal hypocrisy at its finest. .

Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 AM

65 posts, read 55,238 times
Dreads do look horrible on everyone but especially bad on white people. I wonder when whites are going to start attacking blacks for "cultural appropriation" for using computers and driving cars or wearing suits?

Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
It is cultural appropriation. By definition. Cultural appropriation is the adoption of a custom from one culture into another. To my knowledge, and maybe I'm wrong in certain area, dreadlocks have no history in Europe or the West. Dreadlocks are largely confined to Africa and some Eastern/Middle East cultures. I guess one could make an effort to say that Christianity came from the Middle East so dreadlocks are part of Christian culture, I'd probably disagree. So yes, a white guy wearing dreadlocks is committing cultural appropriation in my mind, and that's more so an objective fact.
But hairstyles at least "similar to" dread locks, braids, etc. actually DO have at least some history in Europe.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 926,368 times
Quote:
Because we can't wear our naturals to work or a job interview without somebody complaining about it, perhaps?

Cultural assimilation ≠ cultural appropriation

Old 10-03-2016, 09:31 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,610,409 times
I see no problem if people, no matter what race, would like to wear dreads. It's their hair...not mine.

Quote:
Because we can just as it's okay for some white people to curl their hair, Einstein.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM

596 posts, read 429,409 times
I love love love playing the cultural appropriation game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies