Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Frank, I'm going to disagree with you again.

Free speech zones 1 mile away from the president, but only if he doesn't like your opinion. Domestic wiretapping of political enemies, of organizations like greenpeace and other non-violent peace movements are just 2 examples.
You don't understand, I agree with much of what you say.

I agree that 'Free Speech Zones' are violation of free speech, not a major one, but they are violation. By the way, what I mean by a major violation is one where you end up with a major fine, prison, or dead for criticizing the government or for some kind of offensive speech.

As far as wiretapping and spying on political organizations, that is a violation of privacy, but not free speech.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
It almost sounds like you don't want any speech that would differ from anyone elses. It almost sounds like you want everyone to think, speak, and act alike. It almost sounds like you want to deny that there IS hatred, intolerance, bigoty, racism etc in the world - or, at the very least, don't want to hear about it.
It almost sounds as if you’re one of those people who deny that the holocaust ever happened.
I only know that we all should stop the spreading of (blatant) lies as often as possible.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GreatdayIt almost sounds as if you’re one of those people who deny that the holocaust ever happened.
I only know that we all should stop the spreading of (blatant) lies as often as possible.
Nope - quite the opposite in fact.

However, if one wants to try to convince others it did not happen, and wants to appear ignorant, I say, fine - let them.

That's what free speech is all about.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
How about the cops shooting rubber bullets at a Florida (?) attorney during a protest? In fact, the cops were shooting at lots of people who had a permit to march.

You see the "free speech zones" as a minor violation. I see it as pretty major; you can protest, as long as you're not going to be heard.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:15 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Some other countries, again, we’re getting into comparison that is not justified and, as stated by several more articulate people than me: why do we want to compare ourselves. Why don’t we look at ourselves instead of the disingenuous “but we’re better than x, y, z.”
I'm comparing to other countries because that is what this entire thread is about. It was the main question posed in the original post, a post made by none other than you.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GreatdayIt almost sounds as if you’re one of those people who deny that the holocaust ever happened.
There is a difference between allowing people to say what they want and agreeing with it.

It doesn't take a genius to see that there is literally tons of evidence for the Holocaust, records, memos, photo evidence, census data, tons of human remains, testimony from the victims and perpetrators, etc. And that anyone who claims the Holocaust never happened is extremely ignorant, a neo-nazi, or a conspiracy theory. Holocaust Denial carries no threat to society as long as it can countered with speech.

Hell, if it weren't for Holocaust Deniers, I wouldn't have spent so much time reading about the Holocaust, if for no other reason than to hand them their own asses.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It almost sounds like you don't want any speech that would differ from anyone elses. It almost sounds like you want everyone to think, speak, and act alike. It almost sounds like you want to deny that there IS hatred, intolerance, bigoty, racism etc in the world - or, at the very least, don't want to hear about it.
I don't want everyone to think alike. I want everybody not to have to live in a society which condones rape,murder or genocide by allowing people to spout hateful rethoric for example.

Sorry that offends your finer sensibilities.

I think people should be able to say they don't like French, Black, American people etc.. When they start saying those people should be killed or harmed, then yes I have a problem with that. That's incitation to violence and pure hatred.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I'm comparing to other countries because that is what this entire thread is about. It was the main question posed in the original post, a post made by none other than you.
Then you obviously missed the OP. What are the special and magical freedoms that the US has that no other country possesses?

I'm interested in the special US freedoms. I think that's been mentioned about 1/2 dozen times now.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Free speech is not there to defend speech you like, but the speech you don't.

And yes, the US is far superior to Europe in that regard, among others.

Superior IN YOUR OPINION. Millions of other people around the world the US is in INFERIOR in that respect.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
However, if one wants to try to convince others it did not happen, and wants to appear ignorant, I say, fine - let them.

That's what free speech is all about.
The problem with this tactic is that there will be people who will swallow these lies because that is the most convenient thing to do for them.
This is exactly how Hitler came to power in Germany, the majority of the Germans swallowed his propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies