Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The vast majority of countries do not award birthright citizenship.

This is not groundbreaking stuff.

US is being taken for a ride.

And I am legal first generation immigrant myself from a third world hell hole.
Same here. My parents immigrated here legally, with me in tow as a baby, and it wasn't easy for them.

Now you have people who are made to feel right at home just for popping out a few on US soil. It's a slap in the face to legal immigrants.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yep you said it, but you said it was still a problem today. So is ending birthright citizenship "white racism" or not?
It certainly has a xenophobic component. Just look at the racial makeup of those who advocate to change the meaning of the 14th. See a lot of Blacks, Mexican, Chinese in those ranks?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yep you said it, but you said it was still a problem today. So is ending birthright citizenship "white racism" or not?
I'm only talking about America. The movement to change the 14th amendment is spearheaded and influenced by white racism. The same people that were birthers, Alt-Righters, and Tea Party people... These people are fueling this movement... The basket of deplorables...

Old 10-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It certainly has a xenophobic component. Just look at the racial makeup of those who advocate to change the meaning of the 14th. See a lot of Blacks, Mexican, Chinese in those ranks?
You don't. Birthright citizenship has been a core value of our country since the Confederacy was defeated...

Old 10-05-2016, 09:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
For those saying that actually enforcing immigration laws is racist...

No.

These rules would and should apply to anybody anywhere. If it just so happens that a high percentage of immigrants come from certain countries, whose fault is that?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

No.

These rules would and should apply to anybody anywhere. If it just so happens that a high percentage of immigrants come from certain countries, whose fault is that?
Who said that?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

No.

I see no one suggesting that enforcing the immigration laws would be racist. The problem is that it is simply not doable.

The people trying to change the 14th however are not trying to enforce the immigration laws they are trying to change them against a young generation that is primarily minority. And that certainly has some xenophobia to it.

I would think one could make an argument against birth tourism. But that is another subject.

I think what went on in the Dominican Republic had grounds less than honorable.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:33 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Enforcing the immigration law is not racist--but it is clear that some of the most ardent supporters of strict enforcement, do so, for racist/bigoted reasons.

The 14th amendment was a pressing solution to an urgent problem, at the time. Now it is outmoded.

So really, why not change it? Yes, it's a tough ride. Requiring long term support..hard work...dedication.
Circulating petitions, fundraising, Lobbying--but if the issue means that much..that people say that the end of our country is imminent unless we deal with it, well...get 'er done!

Me, I'm practicing my Spanish and cultivating a taste for good tequila.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Enforcing the immigration law is not racist--but it is clear that some of the most ardent supporters of strict enforcement, do so, for racist/bigoted reasons.

The 14th amendment was a pressing solution to an urgent problem, at the time. Now it is outmoded.

So really, why not change it? Yes, it's a tough ride. Requiring long term support..hard work...dedication.
Circulating petitions, fundraising, Lobbying--but if the issue means that much..that people say that the end of our country is imminent unless we deal with it, well...get 'er done!

Me, I'm practicing my Spanish and cultivating a taste for good tequila.
I would expect such a move to lose badly. America for one reason or the other likes jus soli. I doubt you could get majority support anymore the overwhelming support you need to change the Constitution.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So most of the rest of the world is "xenophobic" too for not having birthright citizenship? Only 30 countries do and only 2 developed ones, Canada and the US. And the US has the highest levels of immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies