Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone here will agree that it's their business and right to refuse service to any customers as they see fit.

Right???

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...-to-serve.html

Quote:
Kroger Co. was caught in a firestorm after customers at stores in Texas and Louisiana complained that cashiers wouldn’t serve them because they wore pro-police T-shirts.

The two incidents occurred in the last two weeks in the Houston suburb of Spring, Texas, and Alexandria, La. The customer in Spring told KTRK-TV she was wearing a “Police Lives Matter/All Lives Matter” shirt and the cashier stepped away from the register and refused to ring up her groceries, saying she was offended by the shirt. The woman said she’s the wife of a police officer.

A similar incident in Alexandria, La., on Sept. 27 involved a Pineville, La., police officer who was off duty and wearing a pro-law enforcement T-shirt. The cashier allegedly refused to serve her, saying she had problems with the police, according to the Blue Lives Matter website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 12:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
Is kroger doing something about it? If not, boycott the store.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:48 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Those twits shouldn't be working with the public if they are so easily offended.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure everyone here will agree that it's their business and right to refuse service to any customers as they see fit.

Right???

Wrong. You only get that choice when you own the company, and as far as I know, everyone here agrees except for one oddball liberal loonybird whose thinking is off.

Confused as to why you think people would be onboard with this.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:18 AM

550 posts, read 368,918 times
The courts have already said that businesses 'can't refuse service to any customers as they see fit' especially if the person is a member of a protected class. I assume police would fall under the political group protection.

Example: Christian bakers face $135K fine for refusing to make cake for gay wedding | New York Post

Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 AM

529 posts, read 370,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
The courts have already said that businesses 'can't refuse service to any customers as they see fit' especially if the person is a member of a protected class. I assume police would fall under the political group protection.

Example: Christian bakers face $135K fine for refusing to make cake for gay wedding | New York Post

Right. But there are many who fel that a privately owned business should have the right to refuse service for any reason.

So the OP is acting like THOSE people should also support this action.

Where he is confused is that the employees of the store are not the owners, yet it was the employees that refused the service. They should not be making those decisions.

Just do your job or go get another job where you aren't interacting with members of the public which may hold different views than you do.

Lastly, I would be surprised if LEO were actually viewed as a "protected class".

Old 10-15-2016, 09:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Right. But there are many who fel that a privately owned business should have the right to refuse service for any reason.

So the OP is acting like THOSE people should also support this action.

Where he is confused is that the employees of the store are not the owners, yet it was the employees that refused the service. They should not be making those decisions.

Just do your job or go get another job where you aren't interacting with members of the public which may hold different views than you do.

Lastly, I would be surprised if LEO were actually viewed as a "protected class".
Yes, non-essential business should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

I'd put grocery stores as an essential business.

Let's say it was a Game Stop. If Game Stop wanted to refuse service to cops or their supporters, that is their business. If I bought games, it would be up to me to choose to do business with them if I wanted.

It's pretty simple.

BTW, has anyone called to have these people jailed or Kroger's fined?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Right???

These are probably the same type of people who fought hard for civil rights, they are called hypocrites.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:21 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
OP the quote you provide offers us no insight in to HOW Kroger reacted to the incident. Seems to be deliberate on your part.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:23 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Since when can they refuse to serve you when you are practicing their 1st amendment right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies