Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 10:49 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times

Advertisements

One of the worst things that happened to the American economy and to youth was the whole "everyone needs to go to college" movement. There are an unbelievable amount of unfilled good paying jobs because parents and teachers directed kids towards college to study what ever they enjoy.

I think parents are embarrassed if their kid goes to trade school instead college. I wonder if they are embarrassed when the kid has a college degree but lives at home at 30 and stocks shelves at the grocery store because he or she majored in something worthless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:29 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed.

What the wage will buy in the local economy matters more than the wage.

At the peak of fracking, the most expensive apartments in the US were in Williston, ND.

Today, the city struggles to service the debt accumulated to build infrastructure and schools to handle the influx of workers.
A most interesting comment!

You don't hear enough these days about the current failures of the oil patches and how they have dropped our more recent economic averages down. And it is huge.

Despite such lower oil and gas costs, our general economy just putters. It should be going gang busters due to cheap gasoline. But because so many of these areas of the country are now relatively destitute, the overall balance is not so good. And this is not from a lack of jobs, too many taxes or from government over-regulation. This is because of supply side excess. Palin and simple. (Palin = plain lol)

Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
One of the worst things that happened to the American economy and to youth was the whole "everyone needs to go to college" movement. There are an unbelievable amount of unfilled good paying jobs because parents and teachers directed kids towards college to study what ever they enjoy.

I think parents are embarrassed if their kid goes to trade school instead college. I wonder if they are embarrassed when the kid has a college degree but lives at home at 30 and stocks shelves at the grocery store because he or she majored in something worthless?
I still think higher education is very important for too many people to move away from it.

Our local solutions include a low cost university, and a community college offering many trades.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:34 AM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

No they are not embarrassed, they make excuses and blame everyone else or just defend the kid living at home as normal these days, even preferring it because a lot of them are single parents that don't really want the kid to ever leave.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
Only in America would someone consider $50hr, a blue collar job #FirstWorldProblems

Old 10-17-2016, 08:40 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I still think higher education is very important for too many people to move away from it.

Our local solutions include a low cost university, and a community college offering many trades.
And yet college graduation rates haven't really budged for decades although attendance has skyrocketed.

That's the elephant in the room of the so-called "College for All" meme.

And it's true, college attendance has been emphasized to the detriment of vocations for the last couple decades. That's a policy decision which emanated from the top although teachers on the ground in schools get blamed for it. Mostly because the understanding of it as a policy from education departments and school boards is too difficult. You can also throw some blame at Bill Gates.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Do you really think that the average Millennial with a liberal arts degree working at Starbucks in a big city is going to move to Dayton, OH for a $50/hr blue collar job?
When mom & dad dies and the assets are distributed to the kids... Starvation has a way of acting as a motivator.

When my dad died, my sister had to bust a move and get off her ass.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And yet college graduation rates haven't really budged for decades although attendance has skyrocketed.

That's the elephant in the room of the so-called "College for All" meme.

And it's true, college attendance has been emphasized to the detriment of vocations for the last couple decades. That's a policy decision which emanated from the top although teachers on the ground in schools get blamed for it. Mostly because the understanding of it as a policy from education departments and school boards is too difficult. You can also throw some blame at Bill Gates.
IME any and all advance schooling is important. A Certificate is just paper. Colleges should include trades as we do locally.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I'd kind of be more worried about some millennial looking at his I phone and getting pulled into heavy machinery or walking in front of a front end loader. They do have the attention spans of gnats.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:04 AM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times
What is the purpose of a college education?

Learning how some of the world works, or getting a work permit?

I know lots of folks who have a college degree but are as ignorant as a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies