Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, not.

The constant pressures upon people today are nowhere near what they were in those days.
You cannot say that since you are not in the position that they are in. I personally have felt a huge amount of pressure when I lived in metro Atlanta to where I honestly was afraid of the police. Lots of people in the city in specific neighborhoods felt the same way. In Cleveland where Tamir Rice was killed by an officer, they have just as many societal issues as they had in the 1960s in those neighborhoods.

True some people have moved on to better areas and better outcomes, but the ones who are still there have the same pressures put upon t hem that they had in the past in urban areas - lack of good schools, lack of quality housing, poverty, crime, drugs, gangs, etc. All those ills are still in these areas where the riots have taken place.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You cannot say that since you are not in the position that they are in. I personally have felt a huge amount of pressure when I lived in metro Atlanta to where I honestly was afraid of the police. Lots of people in the city in specific neighborhoods felt the same way. In Cleveland where Tamir Rice was killed by an officer, they have just as many societal issues as they had in the 1960s in those neighborhoods.

True some people have moved on to better areas and better outcomes, but the ones who are still there have the same pressures put upon t hem that they had in the past in urban areas - lack of good schools, lack of quality housing, poverty, crime, drugs, gangs, etc. All those ills are still in these areas where the riots have taken place.
And there was also legal racial discrimination all around on top of all those things, so, no, it's not as bad now as it was in the past.

When I was a kid, any white man could kill me with impunity just for drinking out of the wrong fountain, not just police. I was still required to sit in segregated movie seating when I was sixteen.

So, no, it is not as bad now as it was in the past.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I want to keep the discussion about the Chicago assault going but I want to introduce a new topic for discussion cushion as well. At the end of 2017, gospel singer Kim Burrell gave a very fiery sermon on homosexuality and later tried to back paddle on what she was trying to convey [once the backlash started]. What's your stance on the sermon? How do you feel about blacks who hold a negative view about LGBT rights? Do you think we need to have more empathy considering our history with discrimination in the USA?
i think damn near every culture on earth feels a certain type of way about LGBT stuff. However, I find it strange that people will deny blacks claims of racism and discrimination UNTIL it comes to like intersectional issues like gays or religion. Then people are like "but you guys go through so much why the hypocrisy?". As far as her sermon, this isn't new to the black community and I believe there is an extra level of context to the issue unique to the black experience in America. That extra context is about how black males are made to be emasculated or feminized as a tool to weaken black family structures and to demean black males. If black males aren't seen as "rapey" then the other image is the dress-wearing/flamboyant/non-alpha stuff. This is all just my opinion, it is not fact. Of course I can't qualify this stance beyond examples here and there, but I do think it's a thing for black men and some black women to have an issue with black males being emasculated.

Last edited by 8won6; 01-12-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The recent behavior of BLM and black political leadership in general has lead to a backlash which I predicted. In a diverse society movements must be rooted in facts not emotions. You cannot stress police shooting while your communities are shooting galleries and your people commit violent crime 8X the rate of other people. Most reasonable people will simply tune you out or react in hostility towards your movement. BLM doesn't seem to care though, they are all about face time. Best thing about Trump winning is that this will be coming to an end. They'll be reduced to the typical loony left anarchists athat shatter glass during WTO meetings.
Bolded area is false, actually. You only look at the percentages of crime among Black people but you never talk about raw numbers. Maybe this link will disprove your statement.

Crime Statistics: Whites Commit 3x More Crimes Than Blacks

As for Black Lives Matter, the movement was organized as a way to combat police brutality and to let people know that we matter too, not more. The ones who are counterproductive within the group should be your focus, not the whole group. You only look at the idiots within as an excuse to blame the entirety.

None of these organizations will end with Drümpf, unfortunately for you. We will fight back if our livelihoods are threatened. Stop acting like some staunch right winger looking to silence Black people and act like you've got some sense.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Black Lives Matter is a COINTEL Op.

They're scamming the people who started the movement, victims, the public. The 3 Founders never led things in Ferguson. The protests around the country were being organized locally by large. Black Lives Matter, Deray McKesson, Shaun King, etc. did not have any hand in mobilizing The Movement.

When their leaders were questioned by black media they suddenly went 'leaderless.'

They still won't account for where the donation money went or how its being used. Their part of George Soros' network. Who had a stake in media, hand in politics (Democrats) and essentially is the 'establishment.'

Their 'face' was revealed as a democrat in the DNC wikileaks.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:20 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The recent behavior of BLM and black political leadership in general has lead to a backlash which I predicted. In a diverse society movements must be rooted in facts not emotions. You cannot stress police shooting while your communities are shooting galleries and your people commit violent crime 8X the rate of other people. Most reasonable people will simply tune you out or react in hostility towards your movement. BLM doesn't seem to care though, they are all about face time. Best thing about Trump winning is that this will be coming to an end. They'll be reduced to the typical loony left anarchists that shatter glass during WTO meetings.
OK then. How will your life be as a Black man lIrving under the coming Trump administration? At the end of the day, even you might be subjecteducated to scrutiny. I know that even if I am a law abiding citizen who works for a living, I could still be subjected to more scrutiny.

BTW, a majority of Blacks don't live in the neighborhoods where the murders/violent crimes are taking place.

Last edited by green_mariner; 01-12-2017 at 07:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
i think damn near every culture on earth feels a certain type of way about LGBT stuff. However, I find it strange that people will deny blacks claims of racism and discrimination UNTIL it comes to like intersectional issues like gays or religion. Then people are like "but you guys go through so much why the hypocrisy?". BINGO! You tell me I'm deluded but then when you feel that your rights are being infringed upon, you want to pull that "black/gay" card basically making gay the new black. Further more, there are members of the LGBT who are racist. Why isn't that ever discussed? As far as her sermon, this isn't new to the black community and I believe there is an extra level of context to the issue unique to the black experience in America. That extra context is about how black males are made to be emasculated or feminized as a tool to weaken black family structures and to demean black males. If black males aren't seen as "rapey" then the other image is the dress-wearing/flamboyant/non-alpha stuff. This is all just my opinion, it is not fact. Of course I can't qualify this stance beyond examples here and there, but I do think it's a thing for black men and some black women to have an issue with black males being emasculated.
I'll admit that Kim's sermon through me off, I was like "well damn!" but I wouldn't say it's unusual. I guess it is unusually for someone to be so blunt in a sermon today, but when I think about my childhood even. Some of us heard similar messages or worse from our own parents for doing a whole lot less (liking pink, playing with dolls, talking "like a girl", prancing or having a twist in your walk). I was also thrown off by the claim that 2/3 of her fan's were gay men because I hear little to no one (gay, straight, or bisexual) talking about Kim Burrell's music.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Reminder-IGNORE certain posters.

Let's keep this discussion civil. I don't mind members of other races commenting, but this is NOT a Stormfront thread. Also for those who are actively engaged in this discussion, if you come across a post by one of these Stormfronters, DO NOT engage in conversation with them. Just make your point to them and then continue the discussion as if they are not even there. Let me reiterate, they can't not bear [despise, hate, detest] the idea of not being worshiped and they will interject themselves in matters that do not [in any way, shape, or form] concern them. As said earlier, they will not stop until they have the final word.

Thanks for listening people, carry on.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM

What do you think of this woman's stance on black feminism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqAyxAYtykI

Old 01-13-2017, 11:59 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
What do you think of this woman's stance on black feminism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqAyxAYtykI
I agree with her, pretty much completely. I've said in these forums before that the third prong of American society that succeeded in destroying the black family was Third Wave Feminism (Third Wave feminism is the "We don't need men" feminism).

This is not to say black men don't have severe problems. We as a group certainly do. But those problems are intricately tied into racism, and we have to work the effects of racism out of the problems between black men and black women to see what the gender issues actually are between us...and they won't be the same as the gender issues between white women and white men because black people in America have never related to one another from the same bases of economics and power as white people.

White Third Wave feminists don't have an answer for black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies