Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 11:19 PM

28,715 posts, read 18,900,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This writer passed for White for so many years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_Broyard
Notice the article points out that he didn't fool the brothers.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:44 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,787,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This writer passed for White for so many years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_Broyard
He was pretty white, certainly with much more Euro than African ancestry. Should he be faulted for not observing the one-drop rule?

French Creoles | Letter to the Editor

Old 03-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
He was pretty white, certainly with much more Euro than African ancestry. Should he be faulted for not observing the one-drop rule?
]
"No one is free until everyone is free" -- Fannie Lou Hamer.

If the social policy of that day had been the same as it is today, the answer could be, "no." But the "one-drop" rule was actually codified into the law in those days, particularly in Louisiana.

The brothers did him a solid keeping their knowledge within the community.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,235,904 times
The one drop rule is not really used by many today that I know of.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 AM

Overall I guess my point is that in Louisiana we go from being as dark as charcoal to being as quite fair skinned and that one should be proud of their blackness regardless of how dark or light they are. With that being said, how do you feel about racial pride overall?

Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Jesse Williams from "Grey's Anatomy" also has a white mother and A black father (who I believe also has Samoan ancestry), and yet the white does show a bit more in him. That said, he identifies more with his black side.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Jesse Williams from "Grey's Anatomy" also has a white mother and A black father (who I believe also has Samoan ancestry), and yet the white does show a bit more in him. That said, he identifies more with his black side.
Jesse Williams has said that part of his impetus came from what he heard as a child from white people who forgot he was in the room.

I suspect that in his times, Anatole Broyard heard much worse--perhaps even plots of violence against other blacks. In order to "pass" in that society, it was necessary for a man to absolutely reject his family and childhood friends, to have nothing to do with them, to never speak to them again, to ignore their existence, to pretend to be an absolutely different person with a totally manufactured past.

Yeah, I can fault him.

Inside Jesse's Head

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Jesse's Head.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	182573

Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM

73,177 posts, read 62,867,835 times
Quote:

This is what I will say. If he had lived anywhere else but America, he could forego that one-drop rule. I'm not faulting him for anything. I'm just saying "it is what it is". He was light enough to "pass". However, if anyone found out he had any amount of Black ancestry, he would be considered Black. Simply how things are.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Overall I guess my point is that in Louisiana we go from being as dark as charcoal to being as quite fair skinned and that one should be proud of their blackness regardless of how dark or light they are. With that being said, how do you feel about racial pride overall?
This is how I feel. Being of a certain race/ethnicity should not be something to be ashamed of. When it comes to pride, I wonder about that pride. One can take pride in something they do. Racial pride, well, I see it like this. In many cases, it gets to the point of arrogance and hate. In some cases, people mistaken pride for vanity/hate/exclusivity.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jesse Williams has said that part of his impetus came from what he heard as a child from white people who forgot he was in the room.

I suspect that in his times, Anatole Broyard heard much worse--perhaps even plots of violence against other blacks. In order to "pass" in that society, it was necessary for a man to absolutely reject his family and childhood friends, to have nothing to do with them, to never speak to them again, to ignore their existence, to pretend to be an absolutely different person with a totally manufactured past.

Yeah, I can fault him.

Inside Jesse's Head

Attachment 182573
Broyard's father got into a carpenter's union at a time when it was racially discriminatory. He had to pass just to get work. For Broyard, father and son, "passing" meant the difference between getting good work and getting bad work. For Anatole, it meant making it to the rank of captain in the army, a segregated army.

It would not surprise me if those passing for White heard alot of nasty things about Blacks during those days. It was basically about survival. For anyone who says things were better in the 50s, this alone should show it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies