Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 09:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post

Nope. The telephone metadata collection program(s) with the telcos had been vetted and approved by numerous judges and attorneys. They were walking a fine line, but in the end the NSA decided to terminate them to make things easier on themselves. Actually, I think they were allowed to expire, rather than immediately terminated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/08/us...als-court.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 09:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,189,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And the injunction was later overturned:

Court overturns injunction against NSA bulk data collection program - POLITICO

As I said, they were walking a fine line and there were rulings bot for and against, but the program was allowed to run out in November of last year.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,730,286 times
I honestly cannot believe anyone would support the US Government in this case. They were spying on allies. That's like banging your best friend's wife, then acting like you did nothing wrong.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I honestly cannot believe anyone would support the US Government in this case. They were spying on allies.
NEWSFLASH: They spy on us, too. It's all part of the intelligence game. Trust, but verify, as Ronald Reagan used to say.

The fact of the matter is that such programs are not very important to our allies nor us; the really important programs are collaborations with our closest friends and Snowden blew them wide open, too.

Quote:
That's like banging your best friend's wife, then acting like you did nothing wrong.
No, it's like having numerous sex parties with your swinging best friend and his wife and then being shocked when one of them down the road pretends to be appalled at the very idea of such a thing.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:39 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,730,286 times
Quote:
NEWSFLASH: They spy on us, too. It's all part of the intelligence game. Trust, but verify, as Ronald Reagan used to say.

The fact of the matter is that such programs are not very important to our allies nor us; the really important programs are collaborations with our closest friends and Snowden blew them wide open, too.

No, it's like having numerous sex parties with your swinging best friend and his wife and then being shocked when one of them down the road pretends to be appalled at the very idea of such a thing.
So you're okay with your own government spying on you?

Here's what people aren't understanding: The government works for US, the PEOPLE. Without the people, there is no purpose of a government.

I understand that some surveillance is necessary to keep us all safe, but is recording everyone's phone calls and internet history really necessary?

Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM

31,108 posts, read 22,149,783 times
How typical, Snowden, a Democrat is vilified, by his own when he exposes their own. No different then Dems shouting that Bush is the villain of Iraq, but not a peep on Obama's involvement in Libya, Syria, now back in Iraq and surging in Afghanistan. Democrats, the party of Hypocrites.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM

31,108 posts, read 22,149,783 times
Quote:
I honestly cannot believe anyone would support the US Government in this case. They were spying on allies. That's like banging your best friend's wife, then acting like you did nothing wrong.
Like spying on Merkel But, Obama said he would stop doing it. What a stooge. Good thing Merkel holds him in such high esteem
Edward Snowden: Leaks that exposed US spy programme - BBC News

"The allegations dominated an EU summit, with Mrs Merkel demanding a full explanation and warning that trust between allies could be undermined. She discussed the matter by phone with US President Barack Obama. He assured her that her calls were not being monitored now and that it would not happen in future. But the White House did not deny bugging her phone in the past."

Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM

174 posts, read 117,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What he did is treasonous. If he felt what he did was right why did he run? Because he also knew he was wrong?
He ran because he wasn't looking forward to spending the rest of his life in jail. DUH!

You might be okay with the government, and by that I mean the government stooges that have the capability to look at all of your emails, listen to all of your phone calls AND activate your computer camera remotely and spy on you while someone is giving you a BJ, be my guest. But its just not my bag, so I will thank Snowden for giving me the heads up.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
Quote:
And the injunction was later overturned:

Court overturns injunction against NSA bulk data collection program - POLITICO

As I said, they were walking a fine line and there were rulings bot for and against, but the program was allowed to run out in November of last year.
It was ruled that it no longer applied as the program was ending.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
So you're okay with your own government spying on you?
The government did not spy on me. The telcos gave the government access to the same database that they use to bill customers: Phone Number W called phone Number X at Y o'clock and the call lasted for Z minutes. That essentially anonymous and harmless information sat there until a terrorist's phone was captured somewhere in the world. The database would then be searched to find out who he had called and who that person had called, in an attempt to map out a cell of a terrorist organization. Then those phones would be subject to further investigation and any of them which belonged to American citizens would need the proper warrants, etc.

Quote:
I understand that some surveillance is necessary to keep us all safe, but is recording everyone's phone calls and internet history really necessary?
There is absolutely zero evidence that every American's phone calls are being recorded; it would be almost impossible to do so. The laws are very clear, so while the NSA is allowed to listen in on foreign traffic, it can't do so for domestic traffic.

As for tracking and recording Internet histories, how do you think Google makes their money? And anyone who uses Siri, Amazon's Alexa, or any other voice assistant, should think twice about allowing their phones and TVs to monitor every word that's said in their houses before worrying about the NSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies