Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 11:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that more often then not the people who say that many cities have turned into resort paradises tend to live in the nicest neighborhoods of these segregated away from any lower-income tax groups.

They tend to officially live in the city but they are basically living in neighborhoods that are very suburban demographically and they tend to economically segregated by the urban issues of the city.

For example this area is in St. Louis, a city with some of the worlds highest homicide rates.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...994042!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6463...7i13312!8i6656

I am sure those who live that exclusive neighborhood on the border of a suburb called Clayton, could go on about how amazing St. Louis which is the case for that neighborhood which looks really nice.

For example, many times people who say Oakland is amazing live in Rockridge or Lake Merritt and not in the cities humble neighborhoods.

The people who say Los Angeles is better then ever live in Brentwood and rarely go to working-class areas and only do they drive down the interstate.

Here in Phoenix many who say the city is becoming a real city live in a neighborhood that borders Scottsdale. Phoenix is nice close to the Scottsdale border.

The people who praise cities like Chicago I notice tend to live on the Evanston border far, far removed from the issues of the South and West side of Chicago.

Many in fact go on about there are neighborhoods in Chicago that are as safe as a small town and they tend to have numbers to prove it but they also say it is safe because with Chicago the bad neighborhoods can easily be avoided.

Even those who praise the downtown's where they might be subjected to other demographic groups for a few minutes walking from office to their new luxury apartment, tend to live in the nicest parts of the downtowns not on the other side of the tracks.

I am just so happy there are many small communities out there that are backed up the statistics that they are great places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:55 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
I don't really see a problem with that. American cities used to be the inverse of European cities, where the wealthy live in the center and the outskirts were the working classes. U.S. cities were the dirtier places where people worked, and then the ones who could afford it moved to the nicer suburbs. Over the past couple decades, U.S. cities have renovated old neighborhoods and attracted professionals, which leads to even more upscale development.

So really, the cities are becoming more desirable, and the undesirable parts are somewhat going away. Actually, the worst parts remain because the city benefits more from investing tax dollars into areas that professionals want to live in...so you get a lot of rich and poor next to each other. The nicer areas kind of spread and push the middle-income families out over time.

But yes, it's even like that in a smaller city like Madison where I live. Downtown is pretty upscale and gets a lot of praise, and the immediate areas east and south of downtown are the low rent, less desirable parts that people usually just drive through to get to and from downtown.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have noticed that more often then not the people who say that many cities have turned into resort paradises tend to live in the nicest neighborhoods of these segregated away from any lower-income tax groups.

They tend to officially live in the city but they are basically living in neighborhoods that are very suburban demographically and they tend to economically segregated by the urban issues of the city.

For example this area is in St. Louis, a city with some of the worlds highest homicide rates.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...994042!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6463...7i13312!8i6656

I am sure those who live that exclusive neighborhood on the border of a suburb called Clayton, could go on about how amazing St. Louis which is the case for that neighborhood which looks really nice.

For example, many times people who say Oakland is amazing live in Rockridge or Lake Merritt and not in the cities humble neighborhoods.

The people who say Los Angeles is better then ever live in Brentwood and rarely go to working-class areas and only do they drive down the interstate.

Here in Phoenix many who say the city is becoming a real city live in a neighborhood that borders Scottsdale. Phoenix is nice close to the Scottsdale border.

The people who praise cities like Chicago I notice tend to live on the Evanston border far, far removed from the issues of the South and West side of Chicago.

Many in fact go on about there are neighborhoods in Chicago that are as safe as a small town and they tend to have numbers to prove it but they also say it is safe because with Chicago the bad neighborhoods can easily be avoided.

Even those who praise the downtown's where they might be subjected to other demographic groups for a few minutes walking from office to their new luxury apartment, tend to live in the nicest parts of the downtowns not on the other side of the tracks.

I am just so happy there are many small communities out there that are backed up the statistics that they are great places to live.
Your examples are suburbs, not cities. Big difference. I would rather poke my eyes out than live in a suburb. I grew up in one, no thanks. I'll continue to live in the city or up north, no suburb, no way no how.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Your examples are suburbs, not cities. Big difference. I would rather poke my eyes out than live in a suburb. I grew up in one, no thanks. I'll continue to live in the city or up north, no suburb, no way no how.
Brentwood is not a suburb. It's part of L.A.

L.A. is a unique city though. It isn't set up like your typical Rust Belt town.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
So people aren't supposed to live in desirable neighborhoods just because they like living within city limits and prefer the amenities of big city living?

That's kinda picayune on your part. As a native Phoenician, I didn't know that if I love Phoenix and wanna live in the city, I just HAVE to choose Maryvale or South Phoenix in order to be legit and simultaneously make you happy.

SMH...some folks...I swear.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:16 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I don't really see a problem with that. American cities used to be the inverse of European cities, where the wealthy live in the center and the outskirts were the working classes. U.S. cities were the dirtier places where people worked, and then the ones who could afford it moved to the nicer suburbs. Over the past couple decades, U.S. cities have renovated old neighborhoods and attracted professionals, which leads to even more upscale development.

So really, the cities are becoming more desirable, and the undesirable parts are somewhat going away. Actually, the worst parts remain because the city benefits more from investing tax dollars into areas that professionals want to live in...so you get a lot of rich and poor next to each other. The nicer areas kind of spread and push the middle-income families out over time.

But yes, it's even like that in a smaller city like Madison where I live. Downtown is pretty upscale and gets a lot of praise, and the immediate areas east and south of downtown are the low rent, less desirable parts that people usually just drive through to get to and from downtown.
That doesn't contradict the OP's argument. The people who say cities are wonderful places to live live in the wonderful sections of them. By design that makes them not available to ordinary Americans, only to the well-off. As you say, they are getting even more so.

That's why cities, the way they are and are developing, can never be places where ordinary Americans can live comfortably.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

What was wrong with your suburb? To me a suburb is close to the city so there is access and yet you live in a quieter, usually safer, area with more space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies