Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
They don't need to. Again, they are mentally ill obsessing over a sex toy. I don't care if they use them, the fact the idiots chose this issue to make a stand shows they are mentally unstable and lack reasonable judgment.
THe issue is guns, not the sex toy. They are just using the sex toy to point out how big the flaw is.

Quote:
Here is the thing, I think government needs to stay the hell out of EVERYONES business. They have no right to dictate any such issue.

Thing is, these same hypocritical idiots I can promise you would be easily found using government to infringe on another when it suits them.

They are hypocrites and as I said, the fact they would choose this issue to object and what they are objecting to in the process? Well...

These are mentally ill people.
You are assuming they are hypocrites, you have no evidence. And regardless of if they were, that doesnt change the fact that they are right on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:17 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
The left? Are Dumb Donald's supporters unaware Texas is a red state governed by arch conservative Republican Greg Abbott? Those public universities don't so much as scratch their behinds without Abbott's approval.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:23 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Triggered Texas U. Issues Halloween Costume Guide for Greeks

University of Texas Austin sends out PC two page memo about costume selection to not offend others.

Yet their anti gun 2015 protest had 4500 free dildos in a C*cks not glocks campaign with signs saying "packing meat" "good vibrations" and others

More mental illness from the left
In order to call this mental illness, you have to make a logical connection between the two issues. You didn't. Given that there are low intellectual standards not only on this forum, but in this country, I shouldn't be surprised.

The two events are entirely unrelated. The "C*cks not Glocks" was a student led thing. Frankly, I know little about it outside of that and I frankly don't know what their message, outside of guns are bad, was. That of course being a statement I disagree with. The other was a University hand out to Greek communities talking about representing your organization and being culturally aware. If you read the guidelines sent out, they frankly aren't all that unreasonable, nor very specific. Of course, who's going to read them when they're tucked away at the bottom of the article, instead of being linked right when they're mentioned (good vs bad journalism if you ask me... also "journalism"). Either way, the guidelines are basically don't do anything that people can criticize the university for (because that means less money for them) and try to be culturally sensitive, neither of which are especially unreasonable coming from a University.

The issue of 'offending' people is inferred, not actually specifically stated in the handout. It said to avoid stereotypes. Is that actually unreasonable? Turn out, I could literally not give less of a **** about your answer. Because as it pertains to this debate, it actually doesn't matter. The offense trying to be avoided is primarily one of cultural sensitivity. Don't dress up as a Native American type of thing. The other one with dildos may offend people, but not in the same way. Basically, it would only offend people who are threatened by sexuality in some way. Really, seeing a ***** or sexual explicitness shouldn't be that offensive, and even if it is offensive, it's not offensive in the same way as dressing up as an Indian stereotype. One seems to be mocking another cultural identity, the other offends people who presumably think the clitoris is a myth. Jokes aside, the two kinds of 'offense' aren't really comparable. And let's not delude ourselves into thinking the "left" (which is a unified body according to stupid people) is against offending people because that's not the case. Saying "Racists are stupid" would offend a racist but saying that is done our of a certain set of values on how civility is to be conducted. It's not about offending, it's about values.

I for one do not believe in excessive gun control and tend to agree that you shouldn't dress up as a stereotype for Halloween. To those of you smart enough to handle political nuance, I'm open for discussion. The rest of you, call 911 now; an aneurysm isn't fatal if you deal with it quickly.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 PM

599 posts, read 401,799 times
We may as well cancel Halloween in the future since those who are politically correct want to ruin it for everyone else by banning stuff they see as offensive when in reality they just want to be in control. That's what this is a fight against those who want to be in control because try can't respect other people's opinions and instead have to place their my way or the highway viewpoints on everyone.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,931 times
Here's the deal, the event was clearly offensive to some just like some costumes were.

As long as both sides of the argument can admit that both are offensive or neither were offensive AND respect the fact that both have the right to be on campus, no one is hypocritical BUT the moment someone who handed out dildos on campus and demands a Halloween costume is banned because it is found offensive is completely hypocritical.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You're saying that schools shouldn't recommend that students not be offensive?
Yes.

"Offense" is very subjective. What offends one might not offend another. People who want to tell people to not be offensive want to try to police their actions or choices to avoid potentially offending an unknown number of people. Students pay the school, not the other way around. Students should be able to be whatever the hell they want for Halloween without the PC administration trying to tell them that x, y, and z are "offensive." Tough.

I'm offended that you're offended and trying to tell others what they can and can't do on a "holiday" that's all about dressing up funny and crazy with creativity. Your intolerance offends me more than my Native American costume offends you.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes.

"Offense" is very subjective. What offends one might not offend another. People who want to tell people to not be offensive want to try to police their actions or choices to avoid potentially offending an unknown number of people. Students pay the school, not the other way around. Students should be able to be whatever the hell they want for Halloween without the PC administration trying to tell them that x, y, and z are "offensive." Tough.

I'm offended that you're offended and trying to tell others what they can and can't do on a "holiday" that's all about dressing up funny and crazy with creativity. Your intolerance offends me more than my Native American costume offends you.
Except the school isn't "telling" them to do anything.

Is it actually this hard or am I just abnormally literate? The school gave guidelines, not rules. There is not punishment that the school will impose if those guidelines are violated. Those guidelines realistically exist for one main reason, which is PR. That way when some frat dude thinks having an Indian Orgy keg party would be cool and people say this is insensitive, the university can say "hey, we said they shouldn't do it... still give us money, please." I frankly fail to see how anyone can think something else is going on when all they do is give vague guidelines with no actual stated requirements for following them.

Maybe you can explain how this is oppressive or censorship? I'd love to hear how guidelines with no punishment can be labeled as such. I'm sure since you said it, you have a really good reason, so let's hear it!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Except the school isn't "telling" them to do anything.

Is it actually this hard or am I just abnormally literate? The school gave guidelines, not rules. There is not punishment that the school will impose if those guidelines are violated. Those guidelines realistically exist for one main reason, which is PR. That way when some frat dude thinks having an Indian Orgy keg party would be cool and people say this is insensitive, the university can say "hey, we said they shouldn't do it... still give us money, please." I frankly fail to see how anyone can think something else is going on when all they do is give vague guidelines with no actual stated requirements for following them.

Maybe you can explain how this is oppressive or censorship? I'd love to hear how guidelines with no punishment can be labeled as such. I'm sure since you said it, you have a really good reason, so let's hear it!
I don't really care what THIS school is doing. Every year there are more and more stories around this time about colleges lecturing students on Halloween costumes and what they should and shouldn't wear in order to not be offensive. I'm speaking generally about any institution or person who tries to control what others choose to wear for Halloween.

I don't want a school's "guidelines" or rules. These "guidelines" shouldn't even exist. No one should care if x number of people find something "insensitive"... who effing cares? Get a life. Lots of things bother me about life but I don't go crying and complaining at each injustice I perceive. It's part of life that people will disagree with one another or disapprove of what others do. What's not okay is when others in any way try to control it - cute little "guidelines" or flat out rules. College students are legally adults who are responsible for their own decisions. They don't need to be babysat at Halloween because some people cry every year about costumes.

I didn't say this is oppressive or censorship so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:16 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Better go to your safe space.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It sounds like you just have a different opinion of what constitutes offensive behavior. One could just as easily say that you don't want people to be offended by dildos yet are okay with things like offensive costumes. Hypocrite!

You're talking about two different groups here. The school itself sent out the memo regarding costumes. The students held the ***** rally. You can't call one group a bunch of hypocrites because some other group acted in a contrary way.

But they didn't actually define "offensive" in that memo, did they? Didn't the memo literally just say "Please don't be offensive"?

Schools have been saying those sorts of things for years. The only reason anyone is making an issue out of it is because the right wing media has taken on college campuses as a pet outrage project.
You're beyond help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies