Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Well..Well..Who would of thought liberals are racists. I'm shocked.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-lyft-drivers
It is a common theme here that posters post articles but don't read them or don't understand them. The title of the article is: "Study Finds Racial Discrimination by Uber and Lyft Drivrs." They conducted the study in Boston and Seattle only. They did not study the political leanings of these drivers. Life would be so much easier for you people if you actually read articles you are reacting to. Read or have someone read it to you and explain if you are confused. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 06:08 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Well, we know through Jar-Jar what liberal elitist George Lucas thinks about black people.
>>>> And that movie also told us what he thinks about Asians.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Heard this on the radio yesterday. My reaction was that they've opened another front in the war against Uber and Lyft. If it's not bicycling, unionized taxicabs, or publicly subsidized buses or trains, it's in the crosshairs.

My girlfriend liked using Uber until her liberal friend let her know liberals aren't supposed to like Uber, so now she's anti-Uber. She also announced we won't be using Airbnb anymore even though we've had good experiences with it so far (twice in Central CA, once in SLC, more recently in Boulder, CO) because politics.
This is true. We can't get Uber in NY except NYC. And you should see the house of the guy that owns the local taxi company. Easily 4000 sq. ft. It's right down the hill from a local Democrat big shot.

Still, even though Uber drivers discriminate against blacks, it' still generally the best service they can get. And there are blacks who drive for Uber or rent out their places through Airbnb. It might not be many but it's some.

Uber, Airbnb aren't perfect but they improve things. That's more that can be said for a lot of stuff.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, it's not an honest assessment by labeling a whole area over the actions of the drivers for starters.

However yes, the meme that racism is a rural redneck thing is way off the mark.

Personally, I think it would be interesting to know the race of the drivers cross-hatched against ethnicity of the riders to see if there are any patterns.
As someone who uses Uber in Boston, I can say for certain that none (zero) of my drivers have been white people. They are black, Hispanic or middle eastern. One was Greek/American.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As someone who uses Uber in Boston, I can say for certain that none (zero) of my drivers have been white people. They are black, Hispanic or middle eastern. One was Greek/American.

I was just gonna say:

Oh lest we forget....Remember these Uber drivers are more than likely the product of wealthy , white privilege . Might even be trust fund Jewish American princesses , just picken people up in da hood......

bahoo bahoo bahoo, another whopping, leftist canard exposed.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:25 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And? That doesn't take away his apparent perception of most black people. He can easily feel his wife is an exception to his stereotype.
She must have passed the Joe Biden test.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:30 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Why is she not supposed to like Uber? Because taxis are supposed to have a monopoly?
Several reasons. Have you not seen the articles decrying Uber and Lyft? Bernie Sanders was no fan of Uber or the "gig" economy (neither is Clinton but she doesn't really believe anything she says so I'll give her a pass for just knowing which way the wind's blowing). I think it's a few things: these ride-sharing services are a new form of mutually-beneficial exchange that isn't quite as regulated by government as other elements. I think left liberals in general have a distrust of such things. They're suspicious of these activities going on without comforting government (mommy / authority) oversight. They also pose a challenge to established darlings of the regulatory state such as the cab unions -- which is where a lot of the ire has been concentrated (the heaviest front in the war).

They also mean people are using cars rather than government-subsidized public transporation. That's bad. My girlfriend, for example, has an automatic affinity for subways, trains, trolleys, buses etc. that has nothing to do with their actual utility or carbon footprints or alleviation of congestion -- she just likes em and will go out of her way to use them even when taking the car would be quicker, cheaper, and more practical. It puts a smile on her face, like she's righteous. And then you have the shlock about murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, and now allegations of racism to stoke fears.

Basically Uber just needs to die. I knew all the background and knew of the hate toward ride-sharing / gigs but there were a number of times using them was just the most practical choice for the time and circumstance and was happy she was blissfully unaware. Now she's woke.

As for Airbnb, it's fighting wars in several areas. There've been some quite high-profile cases this year about Airbnb. It really is The Worst. She didn't know -- she just thought we were exchanging currency for a place to sleep and hang out for a few days. Then she found out about how Airbnb (and the others) is a tool of gentrification and must be stopped and you're contributing to an immoral change in various cities if you pay people who are on Airbnb. She was blind and now she sees.

I would like to use Airbnb when we visit Portland soon but I haven't gotten around to fighting that battle. Apparently paying some big hotel chain for a sterile cookie-cutter room is more noble and moral than paying some nice person for a cozier place where the action is and perhaps meeting said nice person in the process (we've met all four of the owners we've rented from and actually hung out and smoked out with our Boulder, CO host). Who knows? I'm not a liberal in this sense of the word.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 11-02-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 10:43 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks;46027935[B
]Well..Well..Who would of thought liberals are racists.[/b] I'm shocked.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-lyft-drivers
LOL on the bold. I am black and have never said that liberals cannot be racist. It is always funny to me when a conservative post something like this.

Many people say both conservatives and liberals are/can be racist. I agree that both can be racist. Ideology makes no difference with racism.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
This is true. We can't get Uber in NY except NYC. And you should see the house of the guy that owns the local taxi company. Easily 4000 sq. ft. It's right down the hill from a local Democrat big shot.

Still, even though Uber drivers discriminate against blacks, it' still generally the best service they can get. And there are blacks who drive for Uber or rent out their places through Airbnb. It might not be many but it's some.

Uber, Airbnb aren't perfect but they improve things. That's more that can be said for a lot of stuff.
On this, I know quite a few black people who drive for Uber and who rent homes/rooms via AirBnB.

I am black and I frequently use AirBnB and have never had an issue. I've never used Uber because I have a car and don't have a need but my spouse has used them before in a bind.

I considered turning one of my rentals in Atlanta into an AirBnB rental. Quite a few of our neighbors have their homes on AirBnB in that area and there are some black investors buying up the properties in that neighborhood and renting them out using AirBnB and making good money. Only reason I didn't is because I don't want to furnish the house right now but due to the location of the house, even though it is not a good neighborhood, I know, based on there being 3 AirBnB homes around the corner that do well, that we can make way more on that house with AirBnB than we do just renting it out.

So I'm thinking of making it an AirBnB rental in the next couple of years if it is still around.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:11 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Several reasons. Have you not seen the articles decrying Uber and Lyft? Bernie Sanders was no fan of Uber or the "gig" economy (neither is Clinton but she doesn't really believe anything she says so I'll give her a pass for just knowing which way the wind's blowing). I think it's a few things: these ride-sharing services are a new form of mutually-beneficial exchange that isn't quite as regulated by government as other elements. I think left liberals in general have a distrust of such things. They're suspicious of these activities going on without comforting government (mommy / authority) oversight. They also pose a challenge to established darlings of the regulatory state such as the cab unions -- which is where a lot of the ire has been concentrated (the heaviest front in the war).

They also mean people are using cars rather than government-subsidized public transporation. That's bad. My girlfriend, for example, has an automatic affinity for subways, trains, trolleys, buses etc. that has nothing to do with their actual utility or carbon footprints or alleviation of congestion -- she just likes em and will go out of her way to use them even when taking the car would be quicker, cheaper, and more practical. It puts a smile on her face, like she's righteous. And then you have the shlock about murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, and now allegations of racism to stoke fears.

Basically Uber just needs to die. I knew all the background and knew of the hate toward ride-sharing / gigs but there were a number of times using them was just the most practical choice for the time and circumstance and was happy she was blissfully unaware. Now she's woke.

As for Airbnb, it's fighting wars in several areas. There've been some quite high-profile cases this year about Airbnb. It really is The Worst. She didn't know -- she just thought we were exchanging currency for a place to sleep and hang out for a few days. Then she found out about how Airbnb (and the others) is a tool of gentrification and must be stopped and you're contributing to an immoral change in various cities if you pay people who are on Airbnb. She was blind and now she sees.

I would like to use Airbnb when we visit Portland soon but I haven't gotten around to fighting that battle. Apparently paying some big hotel chain for a sterile cookie-cutter room is more noble and moral than paying some nice person for a cozier place where the action is and perhaps meeting said nice person in the process (we've met all four of the owners we've rented from and actually hung out and smoked out with our Boulder, CO host). Who knows? I'm not a liberal in this sense of the word.
Given the way DC taxicab drivers drive and how perpetually broken Metrorail is, I have a hard time trying to agree with them, especially your girlfriend's "liberal" friend. Kind of backwards of her to think such things to companies like Uber and Airbnb who are offering innovative options. Reminds me of some people who oppose the gentrification of cities but haven't thought of an alternative.

Last edited by e30is; 11-02-2016 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies