Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:07 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I don't want one because I need a decent amount of space for my next VR rig and lab. When the second-generation of the HTC Vive hits (completely tetherless, dual 4K displays at 150 degree FOV and 120 Hz refresh, eye-tracking and foveated rendering, built-in hand / finger tracking, advanced controllers with high definition haptics, rudimentary real-time photogrammetry and vestibular stimulation, etc.) I'm going to want a 6m x 6m room with a 2.75m ceiling and delightful Berber carpet over a thick rubber carpet pad.
And don't skimp on exotic indirect lighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's up with that? What will it take for renters and rental issues to get the attention of candidates?
when are you going to get off your backside, and stop whining about your situation, and DO something about it? you have been given several solutions to your situation, and all you do is either whine about it, or come up with excuses as to why you cant change it.

its time to stop whining, put your big boy pants on, and change your situation yourself. find a better job, get a better education, what ever it takes.

as for tiny housing, you can build just about anything you want these days, all you need is a piece of land to build on. there are plans all over the place for tiny houses.

so please stop whining, and get to work.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:14 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Well, that and not having government bailout private industries essentially fixing the market with handout programs that skew normal market behavior.

See, if we take the past as evidence of what to do in the future, then what people should do is go out and buy up a ton of property with no regard to cost or consequence because... once the market crashes the government will bail them out and excuse them for their poor decisions.

This is what effectively happened with the last housing bubble crash. What should have been a massive market crash and many people losing their homes for being irresponsible in their purchase, turned out to be a big boon and massive cash grab. These people were able to retain their homes and have a large amount of their loan obligations removed with tax payers picking up the bill.

So instead of the crash causing homes to return to their "natural price", they continued to stay higher than their actual value. So instead of responsible people gaining an opportunity to pick up a home at a proper value according to area cost of living balance and having higher interest rates giving people who save a good return on their money... What we got was an overpriced market where the buyer is forced to be irresponsible or go without a home because government fixed the market and bailed out the irresponsible.

Not only that, but with government continuing to devalue the currency by keeping interest rates so low, people are penalized for saving and discouraged from such practices of responsibility.

Here is the twist though. Is it intelligent to buy into this bloated market? Well, with hindsight it would have been very profitable, but... who is to say the government will bail out everyone the next time it happens?

Intelligence and wisdom advise to be responsible, but responsible doesn't work when you have an irresponsible government and people fixing the markets.

Basically, it is like trying to make sane decisions while the asylum is running things.
I've done OK with selling my homes in the past, and will do quite well in the Northern Virginia market next Spring when we sell our house. This area always gets crazy after Presidential elections due to the transition no matter which party wins.
Sweeet!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
And don't skimp on exotic indirect lighting.
Heck yah!

Seriously, I have designs on making a partial living creating in VR and that does require space.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
I've done OK with selling my homes in the past, and will do quite well in the Northern Virginia market next Spring when we sell our house. This area always gets crazy after Presidential elections due to the transition no matter which party wins.
Sweeet!
You are missing my point. The reason the market didn't completely fall on its face is because government was giving handouts to people who chose bad loans and bought in a market that was a bubble AND because the feds have kept interest rates at basically 0% for a ridiculously unprecedented amount of time.

If government wasn't fixing the markets, home values would have plummeted to their natural prices respective to their local economies, but because government has made ridiculous borrowing levels available to the average person through low interest rates and has allowed home buyers to essentially avoid the consequences of their poor decisions by allowing refinance and loan value reductions, the market continues to stay bloated and requires buyers to lock themselves into enormous unreasonable debt levels to purchase a home.

Government has been destroying the market. A crash is coming, this can not be avoided. The question is not if, but when and when it does, a lot of people are going to see themselves in loans that are several hundred thousand dollars more than their homes market value. When this happens, it will be a repeat of 2009's crash with people walking away from the loans and the government being on the hook for insuring the stupid loans.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's up with that? What will it take for renters and rental issues to get the attention of candidates?
This is an issue for for city or county politicians. There are places in this nation where you can live decently on a pretty low wage. There are plenty of places that have practically non-existent zoning laws, and the cheap rents to go with it. Rental issues are for the most part limited to large metro areas, and even then, only select ones. Rent control adversely impacts most renters, even if it is a wonderful bonanza for those than manage to get in one, because those that normally would risk being a landlord won't there.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Now you're starting to understand that rent prices are based on the local economy.
You can get a nice new 1BR/1/BA high-rise apartment in Tysons Corner, Virginia for about $3,000/mo., or move to Monroe, Louisiana and rent a 3BR house for $700/mo.
Which is better?
I live in NW Ohio. In the Toledo area you can rent a 3bd home as well for $700 a month and depending on your degree you can get a decent paying job. Even unskilled people have manufacturing and production jobs that they can do for $10-$16 an hour if they can pass a drug test and aren't lazy. Toledo is a decent sized city (about 300k population in the city and about 650k in the metro itself).

Dayton also has cheap homes. Many cities in Ohio have cheap rentals and are in cities with job opportunities that pay well. There are also communities in SE Michigan with decently priced rentals and jobs available.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
More people should push to work remotely if feasible for their role. That way, people can move to cheaper areas, and more parts of the US can be taken advantage of and develop as well.

This is the age of technology. There's no reason so many people should still be forced to cluster in only a few major metro areas just to have a job.

The US is a huge country, yet most of it is wasted as flyover space.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:18 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
When I signed my lease this year, it's the first time in 3 states and 4+ decades where my rent didn't increase.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:21 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
More people should push to work remotely. That way, people can move to cheaper areas, and more parts of the US can be taken advantage of and develop as well.

This is the age of technology. There's no reason so many people should still be forced to cluster in only a few major metro areas just to have a job.

The US is a huge country, yet most of it is wasted as flyover space.
No, no, no. As a retiree, I don't want working age people to stay home during the day. I also don't want big libs in our red states. There is a reason why it is cheaper where we live and it's because libs don't live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies