Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because you really don't care about them and aren't shaming them for their own good but rather to satisfy the grinning mean little kid inside of you.
Think you might be onto something here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 08:56 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Growing up? So when you were a child? And you're still carrying this around with you as an adult? It's time to let it go.
Let what go? I still see the same thing , just not as often because I know longer have a friend who is thin, and this was through high school. Its what I observed. Its not even the fat that bothers me , but yet more victim hood and self delusions. People are not merely attacking fat people. There is now fat activism. To expect no push back is more delusion.
Quote:
I was teased relentlessly for having red hair when I was young. Kids can be cruel, but eventually you have to move on. There is no great conspiracy of overweight people looking to oppress you. It's all in your head.
What the hell are you babbling about?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:57 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
If I call someone fat, they call it fat shaming, but it's really doing them a favor. Obesity leads to all sorts of health problems and is the main reason for our crumbling health system, but everyone wants to be politically correct.
What? You think they have no mirrors? Or don't buy clothes with size tags? Give me a break, you just want an excuse to be mean to someone with impunity.

I have the opposite problem, it takes real effort to keep the weight on. I never was a large person but then I got a chronic dehibilitating disease, lost 60 pounds, and almost died. Nothing, and I mean nothing, ticked me off more during that time than when people would say, "Gosh, you've lost a lot of weight, you look great!" No, I didn't look great, I looked like a death warmed over skinny person. I met a lady with Leukemia, who had been larger to start with, who said the same happened to her. I have managed to put most of my weight back on but it is still a struggle. If I can't keep weight on without eating differently than a normal person it only stands to reason there are people who can't lose weight eating like a normal person.

My tubby siblings are all much healthier than I am. I would happily slip on my sister's size 22 pants everyday if I could also enjoy her health compared to mine.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
I work with a woman in her fifties who eats a vegan diet, has for years, and is still at least 30 pounds overweight. Sometimes, genetics overrules everything.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:59 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,906,441 times
Quote:
If I call someone fat, they call it fat shaming, but it's really doing them a favor. Obesity leads to all sorts of health problems and is the main reason for our crumbling health system, but everyone wants to be politically correct.
I am not, I just don't care and what any other person says about the weight of another is really none of their damn business.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I work with a woman in her fifties who eats a vegan diet, has for years, and is still at least 30 pounds overweight. Sometimes, genetics overrules everything.
What makes you think a vegan diet will help you lose weight? Palm oil and sugar can do wonders...

So again here is yet another myth.....

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
No, you're just being rude & obnoxious & you know it.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
75% of US adults are overweight- obese and therefore substantially more vulnerable to Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart Disease, Joint Deterioration and some Cancers. It should come as no surprise that healthcare costs what it does.

For crying out loud, 30 million ( almost 10% of the population) has Diabetes. The annual cost to treat Diabetes and complications exceeds insurance premiums.

Having said this, I do not understand the intent of " fat shaming".

Better to make an objective waist measure a condition of all health insurance. Those with waist sizes greater than X are automatically disqualified from public insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, Military and so on.

Those with waist sizes greater than X pay substantially higher premiums in the private sector insurance market, including group plans.

Put the population on a 2 year notice and allow people to decide for themselves.

Healthcare costs would plummet in the US if a meaningful percentage of people chose to right size.
I have a 23" waist, I would not be surprised if my sister's waist was double that. My medical costs over any one year the last 12 years probably is more than has been spent her entire 60+ years. I have a very hard time keeping weight on, a person's weight isn't always a choice.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, it is a horrible idea IMO to make waist measurement a condition of health insurance or disqualifying people from public insurance based on waist size.

There actually are medical reasons for weight gain and any weight loss should be monitored by a health professional. People not having access to medical doctors/healthcare is not going to make them lose weight.

Also, I have known many people, some close friends and family members, who got diagnosed with various diseases, including thyroid disease that caused them to gain weight. People also gain weight as a result of life saving treatments/medications. I had a friend who gained a significant amount of weight due to prescription steroids as a part of her cancer treatment.

I believe that we should focus more on healthy weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight instead of focusing on waist size. Also, smoking used to be the topic of concern, and reason for the increases in healthcare cost in the past. There have been many public health campaigns regarding getting people to stop smoking. The same can and is already being done to decrease the weight of the average American.
The overwhelming majority who are overweight/ obese are so because they consume more calories than they burn.

Waist size is a more accurate predictor of future health issues than BMI.

Some people have high BMI because of muscle. Waist size does not lie.

The so called healthy waist size standards are actually quite generous.

Smokers who buy Individual Plans pay more for health insurance than non smokers. Some employers will not employ smokers and as a result, pay lower health insurance premiums.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:10 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Why are people afraid to talk about obesity?

On a simple level, berating someone for their weight is not very polite.

On a larger level, we have abandoned the notion of personal responsibility in this country and thus now view obesity as a disease and thus no fault of the fat person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies