Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Some voted for Trump because he isn't politically correct and says what he thinks instead of being too much of a coward to say what he means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL public, private... that sounds like Hillary.
A good example.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This election, the media bias into the open more starkly than ever. That didn’t come from anything Trump said. The fact they are in fear is entirely the work of the media and the Social Justice Warriors.

They want you in fear in an effort to stay in power. The people know they aren't the demons the liberal media portrayed them to be and in the end the liberal media's bias and fear mongering backfired on them. I'd turn off the TV and just relax.
You should try talking to some of those people who are afraid. They aren't the idiots you try to make them out to be.

Hey, I hope you guys are right, but all signs point to no.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Some voted for Trump because he isn't politically correct and says what he thinks instead of being too much of a coward to say what he means.
Using that criteria you could just as well vote for Trailer Park Lou in the wifebeater. It hardly means he's make a good President.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:52 PM

981 posts, read 900,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I get it. They are in the same boat as almost every middle/lower class American. They are not special. As I, and others have pointed out though, thinking a billionaire businessman is the savior of the middle class is ludicrous. (Again I also apologize, as I read your statement about the private schools incorrectly. It also wasn't an insult, just pointing out how ridiculous saying that is.... which I now know I read incorrectly, so again, my apologies.

I never said they were special. I was trying to explain why they and a lot of other middle class Americans voted they way they did. You refuse to accept that as an explanation, so it isn't really worth discussing.

What would you call someone who supports a "racist, homophobic, deplorable "?? If someone in Germany supported a Nazi candidate (since Nazi's have already been brought up), because they like their stance on healthcare, would you not call them a Nazi? or at the very least, a Nazi supporter/sympathizer? Would you think they care about the issues the Jews would be facing? What about someone who supports a rabid Islamist because they like their fiscal ideas?? Would you not think they are a supporter of that line of thinking? Or at the very least, not worried about what may happen to all the Christians in the area? Please, not the Nazi and radical Islamic comparison. Trump has said questionable things, but has never once said anything that even COMPARES to the rhetoric or Hitler or ISIS. Do you really think that Trump is going to start sending homosexuals to concentration camps? BTW, I don't even know what he has ever said against homosexuals? And what has he ever done that was claearly racist? Everyone brings up the birther issue but he made that same accusation to Ted Cruz.

You seem to be getting bent out of shape about it, but the fact is, if they were supporting someone like that, you would be saying the same things the people are saying about Trump voters. If you support a racist (Not saying he is one, but for arguments sake), you are either a racist, or you have determined that race issues are not important. Same with a homophobe, sexist, xenophobic candidate. You either share the views, or you deem them unimportant. You don't care whether those people are effected or not, which is the same as not caring about the issue. That's just the way it is.
But you are saying he is one because that has what your whole argument has been founded on, i.e., how could people put their economic interests above voting for a racist? If are you saying there is some doubt there, then it kind of supports my comment that a lot of people didnt really think he was and would act on that, hence they could deprioritize that issue when deciding their vote.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:00 PM

981 posts, read 900,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think you're right. I also think that re: civil/social stuff, a good many of those voters did not care either way if progress was lost. I know that there are a large percentage of people who vote Republican who are still sore about gay marriage and about abortion being legal, so if they see Trump getting to pick some ultraconservative SC justices, so much the better.

I think that when you come at it as I did, from the position of "this man is completely unfit for office" you often forget that "fit for office" doesn't mean the same thing to people whose standards for that office differ from your own in such a dramatic way.

I guess I cannot get past how anyone (and I know a good many Trump voters are NOT on board with this) can condone his Twitter rants and lack of observance of any sort of decorum.

I have seen people who voted for him complain about this and hope that he'll stop. I guess I've just never assumed he would, so that was part of the reason I'd never vote for him.
Totally agree, and this is why I couldn't vote for him - the lack of forethought on the Taiwan call is another example. I'm very nervous about his presidency as well, and even more so as I see all the craziness on the Democrats side to destabilize his presidency even further. At this point what is done is done and we should do everything we can to fix this country and protect people's rights. Neither one of these parties seem to have the interest of the American people as a priority, which is I why I feel this country desperately needs a 3rd party.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:43 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
I never said they were special. I was trying to explain why they and a lot of other middle class Americans voted they way they did. You refuse to accept that as an explanation, so it isn't really worth discussing.

I didn't say I refuse to accept it as an explanation. Where did I say that? I said it is naïve to think Trump will change their luck, unless they happen to work in one of the industries he has buddies in, then maybe.

Quote:
Please, not the Nazi and radical Islamic comparison. Trump has said questionable things, but has never once said anything that even COMPARES to the rhetoric or Hitler or ISIS. Do you really think that Trump is going to start sending homosexuals to concentration camps? BTW, I don't even know what he has ever said against homosexuals? And what has he ever done that was claearly racist? Everyone brings up the birther issue but he made that same accusation to Ted Cruz.

They were used with a purpose klaucka. Sometimes you use examples that are way out there, to prove a point. If someone supported a candidate with those views, you would call their intentions into question, no? So why does it not matter if the candidate is racist, sexist, homophobic....? Does it only matter if the candidate is a Nazi or Muslim?

Quote:
But you are saying he is one because that has what your whole argument has been founded on, i.e., how could people put their economic interests above voting for a racist? If are you saying there is some doubt there, then it kind of supports my comment that a lot of people didnt really think he was and would act on that, hence they could deprioritize that issue when deciding their vote.
Which doesn't change what I am saying. It is quite irrelevant whether he is or isn't. All we had to go on is his words, which would say he is. Therefore, if you voted for him, you are saying that isn't a deal breaker. That is my point.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:49 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
That is exactly why I posted this, and why I think it will not get any attention. Easier for liberals to blame everything else instead of dealing with the truth.
Do you own a mirror? Then use it.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post
This is all a nonsense premise. Trump won by winning 88,000 more votes in 3 states combined. Such a tiny margin evidences no grand theory, but was probably impacted by A few things that are gonna be hard to pinpoint.

The lesson I took from conservatives comes from the Iraq war. conservatives defended that war for well over a decade as the right decision. Nearly every conservative poster on C-D whose been around long enough has a post defending that disastrous war. Yet Trump comes along and eviscerates that war calls it stupid and a waste of time and money. He even blamed GWBush for ISIL. conservatives after well over a decade of defending that war immediately dropped it, no longer care to defend it.

The lesson I took is that conservatives don't actually care about 90% of the policy positions they discuss. That means Trump voters don't care about the American worker. They don't care about corruption. They care about draining the swamp, they don't hate being ruled by elites. Trump with his cabinet nominations already has basically said lol to all of that stuff. And the lock up Hilary bs that they screamed as if they really cared about locking her up. But they don't.

Trump voters got the messages from trump that non-white Americans were the source of their problems. And Trump promised them that he was going to punish, control, and get rid of those non-white Americans, that's why they voted for trump.
"The lesson I took"

You FAILED your lesson.

I wish people like you would QUIT trying tell us what we think and believe.

If you REALLY knew, you would be one of us.

Throwing out juvinile insults does NOT ge you anywhere.

You complain about Conservatives and then act like a an immature teenager, and we are supposed to take what you say serious.

Ain't gonna happen.

We consider the source and ignore you.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think the mass of people that supported the Donald in Mid America were voting their ECONOMIC interests before and over any religious or racial considerations. I also believe they are going to be very disappointed as indicated by HIS choice of Secretary of Labor among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies