Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important do you think is the issue of Climate Change?
Very important 80 31.62%
Somewhat important 27 10.67%
Not so important 30 11.86%
Unimportant 44 17.39%
The problem doesn't exist 70 27.67%
Other 2 0.79%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:09 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Sure they do, I mean any single individual's contribution to climate change would be vanishingly small taken by itself, it becomes an issue at the aggregate population level though.
So, does that mean we restrict everyone's travel to make a difference? Is the plan to cap each American's air travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:12 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, does that mean we restrict everyone's travel to make a difference? Is the plan to cap each American's air travel?
No, I don't know what the solution is and haven't proposed any. I am and have just been saying that it is happening and the evidence backs it up, that is all. I don't really know of any surefire ways to fix it, it will probably depend on technological advancements in the energy sector.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,889,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What is your view on the importance of climate change?
Its not so much the US and Europe. We have some very restrictive polices all ready with the EPA. As usual its Russia and SE Asia that has no real polices in place.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
No, I don't know what the solution is and haven't proposed any. I am and have just been saying that it is happening and the evidence backs it up, that is all. I don't really know of any surefire ways to fix it, it will probably depend on technological advancements in the energy sector.
Well, what should happen in the meantime? Nothing?

Old 11-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Well, what should happen in the meantime? Nothing?
I don't know, some problems defy pat answers and soundbite solutions, we are probably pretty screwed at this point no matter what we do. Anything we do now will most likely be mitigative rather than preventative. I am not an expert on it, although I am a scientist(in a completely unrelated field), I would need substantially more knowledge and research into it than I am willing to put in to come up with any kind of proposed solution set.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:31 PM

155 posts, read 101,617 times
I believe that climate change, in the long run, is not only the most important issue of or time, but of all time. I believe that humans are a part of the natural world, and any attempt to abstract ourselves from nature and live apart from it will ultimately lead to our destruction. I think that the government should adopt an earth-centric policy. I believe that the earth is a special planet, a sacred place blessed by God, and that the ultimate purpose of humanity is to live in harmony with Mother Earth.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don't know, some problems defy pat answers and soundbite solutions, we are probably pretty screwed at this point no matter what we do. Anything we do now will most likely be mitigative rather than preventative. I am not an expert on it, although I am a scientist(in a completely unrelated field), I would need substantially more knowledge and research into it than I am willing to put in to come up with any kind of proposed solution set.
Nothing is going to happen.

No politician is going to try to cap consumables for the public, and additional taxes on energy will only hurt the poor and lower class. Additionally, any legislation passed will give them some sort of subsidy rendering it useless anyway.

People aren't going to cut back. If President Obama, who claims to be a believer, uses an armada of jets to fly nearly halfway around the globe each year just so his family can sit on that special beach they like, do you believe other people will do anything significant in their lives?

On that note, do you think Obama, who has direct access to the top scientific minds, really doesn't believe in climate change or that he believes it's out of the question for people to make any changes to do something about it?

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM

33,561 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It make one wonder who's payroll Spencer is on.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Like the late Michael Crichton said, humans are just little apes running for cover. Global Warming real or fake matters not. Our fate is already set. If we are truly damaging this planet Mother Nature will swat us like a fly.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
On that note, do you think Obama, who has direct access to the top scientific minds, really doesn't believe in climate change or that he believes it's out of the question for people to make any changes to do something about it?
Probably the second one, which is why I didn't propose any restrictive solutions because I know that they would never fly. Our best bet is probably more in non-restrictive solutions like the research currently being done to improve and find new forms of non carbon based energy. Basically we are on a countdown timer to find some other way to be able to power most of the world while remaining competitive enough on price and availability to not exclude vast amounts of people. And hopefully no other hidden pitfalls that show up 200 years down the line from when we start using it, like we are seeing now with carbon based power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies