Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

I am surprised how little attention this received, this was no accident and they had a specific target. He stops short of naming the country but who would have an interest in steering our election. This coupled with Assange's release of DNC emails seems fairly one sided.

Quote:
The leader of the National Security Agency says there shouldn't be "any doubt in anybody's mind" that there was "a conscious effort by a nation-state" to sway the result of the 2016 presidential election.
Adm. Michael Rogers, who leads both the NSA and US Cyber Command, made the comments during a conference presented by The Wall Street Journal in response to a question about WikiLeaks' release of nearly 20,000 internal emails from the Democratic National Committee
There shouldn't be any doubt in anybody's mind," Rogers said. "This was not something that was done casually. This was not something that was done by chance. This was not a target that was selected purely arbitrarily. This was a conscious effort by a nation-state to attempt to achieve a specific effect."

NSA CHIEF: Nation-state made 'conscious effort' to sway the election - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:25 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Ultimately, if Hillary Clinton didn't have any dirty laundry hiding in those emails, it would have been a complete non-issue. The underlying problem is Hillary's corruption that those emails brought to light. The source may have had an axe to grind, but it didn't invent Hillary's corruption problems. She did that.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Transparency sucks, right?

Old 11-17-2016, 06:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am surprised how little attention this received, this was no accident and they had a specific target. He stops short of naming the country but who would have an interest in steering our election. This coupled with Assange's release of DNC emails seems fairly one sided.
Any nation trying to influence elections and politicians through whatever means is certainly something to be concerned about. Whether it's leaked emails used to disparage a candidate or the contents of those emails showing a flow of cash from foreign countries influencing a politician it is equally as bad.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:30 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:

NSA CHIEF: Nation-state made 'conscious effort' to sway the election - Business Insider
Speaking for myself, I DON"T trust ANY Obama appointee.

Their record is the probably one of the worst in our history.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:34 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,208,707 times
While I think it's interesting, ultimately it is the people of the United States who vote and "elect" our President (in theory, you all know what I mean).

A "nation-state" can try to sway an election but I suspect their real effect is minimal. Those emails made no difference to the vast number of voters. People who had a problem with them, were never going to vote for Hillary. People who complained about their release were never going to vote for Trump.

This sounds like fear-mongering to me.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:38 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,676 times
Thank you very much for sharing this news. Very important that more people are aware.

Now let's see when the next hired poster pops in to dismiss the concept that a group of someones were trying to manipulate media sources so Hillary would win the election. It invariably happens--mention George Soros and a drive-by post deflecting the comment immediately appears.

Oh, I see the post dismissing the concept preceded mine.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:44 AM

251 posts, read 169,048 times
Lol

Hillary wrote those emails, and wikileaks just passed them on,

So reporting the truth is the big conspiracy ?

I think we need a new Director hahaha

Spying on the population which use to only be done in communist countries like Russia or China
and now the USA ??? Thats The Real Conspiracy Here !

Old 11-17-2016, 07:09 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:

Nation states make conscious efforts to sway elections all the time. Do you think EU governments were supportive of the UKIP
or conservative parties of the UK during the last UK general election? The US is known to have meddle in the elections of Honduras, Iran, Egypt, and dozens of other countries. The US even meddled in Brexit with President Obama speaking dire warnings of the effects to the UK on a for vote.

Why should we think that others don't learn by the example we set? Why do we think we should be exempt?

Finally I know Russia makes a good boogeyman. But let's be frank it's not many years ago Wikileaks and Assange were hailed as heroes for exposing the Iraqi WMD realities. Now they're being accused of at best being mistaken and at worst shills of an "Enemy" of the US. It's funny how the narrative about Wikileaks has changed about the rigor and care in verifying authenticity of the War Logs, yet it's claimed they didn't act similarly with the DNC mails (regardless of their source).

Personally I don't know or really care who grabbed the DNC emails, or Hillary's mails, or the War Logs. I care that they were brought to light and that the information was accurate. If you don't want people to be turned off and disgusted by unfairness or lies, then keep your nose clean and tell the truth. If someone from foreign intelligence, hacktivists, commercial security intrusions, tells the world that you screwed the pooch and you did screw the pooch, then the person who deserves people's contempt isn't the messengers, and no one has any duty to keep the incriminating evidence secret.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Ultimately, if Hillary Clinton didn't have any dirty laundry hiding in those emails, it would have been a complete non-issue. The underlying problem is Hillary's corruption that those emails brought to light. The source may have had an axe to grind, but it didn't invent Hillary's corruption problems. She did that.
I assume if they hacked into Trump or the RNC's emails they would have found equally damaging emails, are you saying that the end justifies the means. This is out right spying and a violation of privacy, if your emails or telephone conversations were made public would you feel the same.

It didn't expose any corruption by the way when it comes to Clinton but it did bring to light damaging information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies