Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 11:30 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yup. and this time the dems have no power to stop anything.
One would think that after the dem politicians in Wisc left the state and the backlash that occurred our dem U.S. Senators would have learned.

Then again we are dealing with children NOT adults!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So what is she doing here"
Hopefully getting rid of the entire agency.
Evaluate every program and if some are still needed keep them but, we do NOT need an entire Agency to carry them out.
"The budget provides $69.4 BILLION Budget in discretionary funding for the Department of Education in 2017, an increase of $1.3 billion. The Budget also proposes $139.t BILLION billion in new mandatory spending over 10 years"
https://ed.gov/about/overview/budget...-factsheet.pdf
IMO, MOST of that money is wasted and is NOT worth borrowing the money for it.
Wasted? Are Pell Grants a waste of money? Is providing financial aid to local schools a waste of money? Title I funds allow a large number of schools in poor rural areas to stay open, how do you think those parents would feel if that money was pulled and they ended up having to transport their kids 30 or 40 miles to school? Public education made this nation what it is, the desire to destroy it and turn the system over to privateers is not only foolish, it's dangerous.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wasted? Are Pell Grants a waste of money? Is providing financial aid to local schools a waste of money? Title I funds allow a large number of schools in poor rural areas to stay open, how do you think those parents would feel if that money was pulled and they ended up having to transport their kids 30 or 40 miles to school? Public education made this nation what it is, the desire to destroy it and turn the system over to privateers is not only foolish, it's dangerous.
I agree.

It's one thing to hand the Grand Canyon over for mining and oil drilling, quite another to turn our nation's children into profit centers.

It will be an disaster for our public education system and for the kids who get left behind. No doubt about it.

But the way it stands now, the public schools are no longer an option for many families. They either homeschool or pay private school tuition.

Some win the lottery with good charter schools. Other charter schools close down for financial mismanagement or poor educational performance, stranding children.

I suspect that a $5K voucher means some families will join together and hire homeschool tutors. 12 kids is a $60K salary for a teacher. Not a bad gig for a basement school.

Internet options will spring up.

Perhaps the federal education department will consist of little more than certification exams much like the computer industry has.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:16 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So what is she doing here"

Hopefully getting rid of the entire agency.

Evaluate every program and if some are still needed keep them but, we do NOT need an entire Agency to carry them out.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

"The budget provides $69.4 BILLION Budget in discretionary funding for the Department of Education in 2017, an increase of $1.3 billion. The Budget also proposes $139.t BILLION billion in new mandatory spending over 10 years"

https://ed.gov/about/overview/budget...-factsheet.pdf

IMO, MOST of that money is wasted and is NOT worth borrowing the money for it.
So she's wasting time running for an agency that Trump wants to eliminate

Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So she's wasting time running for an agency that Trump wants to eliminate
Pretty much.

Why else would Trump and Bannon put up incompetent people to head departments they know nothing about"

Rick Perry in charge of our nuclear arsenal? That makes no sense if you actually want a well run department.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:03 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Default Rex Tillerson confirmed for Secretary of State!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/u...confirmed.html

Trump keeps winning!

Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
But the way it stands now, the public schools are no longer an option for many families. They either homeschool or pay private school tuition. Some win the lottery with good charter schools. Other charter schools close down for financial mismanagement or poor educational performance, stranding children.
There are many excellent public schools, I live in the San Juan Unified School District and they have a number of 'fundamental schools' and the test scores and graduation rates rival any private school. But there are also some really crappy public schools, particularly in areas with low rent apartments that have a high occupancy turn over, the kids who live in those apartments don't stay in one school long enough to learn much of anything and as a result the entire school suffers. I don't have an answer to that except maybe we need to start busing again but not on the basis of race but of income, bus some poor kids to the really good schools and send some of the kids from wealthier areas to the poor schools.
Quote:
I suspect that a $5K voucher means some families will join together and hire homeschool tutors. 12 kids is a $60K salary for a teacher. Not a bad gig for a basement school.
The way they were set up in Nevada a parent could get the 5k by submitting receipts for disneyland vacations as long as they claimed it was a "learning experience" which might not be so abhorrent if that 5k was not going to come directly out of taxpayer money collected to pay for public schools

Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Great news. Hopefully, more confirmations to come. To be honest, I dislike Trumps pick for Secretary of Education. I would not shed a tear if she does not get confirmation. She is pretty bad.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:19 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
The Secretary of State has been confirmed.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
When each student is accompanied by a $5K voucher, I suspect we will see a jump in homeschooling, as well as schools set up in church basements, empty mall stores, etc.
I bet you're right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies