Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:54 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
We're on opposite sides; she voted for Trump and I voted for Hillary. However, we managed to have a very nice, respectful discussion about our opposing viewpoints while knowing that we'd never change each others' minds.

I know some liberal people who have deleted friends on Facebook, etc., and I understand it - especially if they're feeling threatened by being in a minority group, but I also wonder how this nation will ever come together and resolve its deep divisions and differences if we can't even talk to each other. Seeing everyone who thinks differently from you as The Enemy is not helpful. It just alienates the other side, and then what? Is the solution that we only talk to people who think like we do and agree with us? That just puts us into a bubble of perceived safety and love, which doesn't help anyone cope with reality.
I blocked a person who.invited me.to come to Washington on inauguration day to protest and called Trump, Hitler but than I unblocked the person.
I explained why she insulted a person we stand behind as the next President and how ridiculous, stupid and insulting it is to use the name of a mass.murderer times 6 million!

I further told the person we can respectful agree to disagree.

Further I told the person not to direct message me any political items as the person will not be able to.make me change my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Everyone can choose how they speak to others. Unlike many of the world's ills, the current lack of respect and civility is something we can all change, if only a little bit.
The current lack of civility and respect is a direct result of the two halves of the country having diametrically opposed morals and cultures. Its hard to be civil to people who are trying to force policies on your side that you consider to be morally reprehensible.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Sorry liberal dribble.... If a minimum wage worker is on the bottom rung of the labor ladder, even when prices go up (which we all know they will), and even if they get a raise they're still on the bottom rung of the ladder. The only way to climb up is to raise your worth in the labor pool. I can't believe that so many on the left harp for higher wages yet can't make the distinction that the only one who will truly benefit from it are not the people but the corporations who they seek to hurt in the first place. Do you think McDonald's is going to get hurt if we raise the minimum wage? I'd bet my bottom dollar that McDonald's is salivating at the idea. The avg. franchise could go from a 1M dollar a year gross sales to 2M gross annual, make more profit and it will be the left's fault.
There are two problems with this. The first is that there will always be menial jobs that must be done by someone. Even if everyone in the country "raised their worth," someone would have to flip the burgers, mop the floors, attend to the elderly in nursing homes, and ring up your groceries, all notoriously low-paying jobs. The people doing those jobs make life easier and more convenient for everyone. Is there really a justifiable argument for allowing them to live in poverty? If a job is necessary, it should pay enough for the person doing it to be able to afford food, decent housing, and medical care.

Second, what about people who are not able to find a better job, either because none are available in their area (please don't say they should move - moving takes money), or because their abilities are truly limited enough to prevent it. That does happen, you know. Again, if they are performing a needed function, why should they be destitute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies