Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:47 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

We're on opposite sides; she voted for Trump and I voted for Hillary. However, we managed to have a very nice, respectful discussion about our opposing viewpoints while knowing that we'd never change each others' minds.

I know some liberal people who have deleted friends on Facebook, etc., and I understand it - especially if they're feeling threatened by being in a minority group, but I also wonder how this nation will ever come together and resolve its deep divisions and differences if we can't even talk to each other. Seeing everyone who thinks differently from you as The Enemy is not helpful. It just alienates the other side, and then what? Is the solution that we only talk to people who think like we do and agree with us? That just puts us into a bubble of perceived safety and love, which doesn't help anyone cope with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 10:56 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
The internet turns people into 1's and 10's on the political spectrum, when in fact, most of us are 4's & 6's in real life.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:03 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
but I also wonder how this nation will ever come together and resolve its deep divisions and differences if we can't even talk to each other.
The chances this nation ever comes together again are about the same as Santa Claus, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny showing up at your house to present you with a winning Powerball ticket. Pure fantasy.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:09 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
Tensions are escalated because of the elections but they will simmer down. We have other priorities & responsibilities so we will move on. I am so tired of the election talk. Focusing on holidays & watching cheesy hallmark holiday movies these days instead of following the news.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:33 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The chances this nation ever comes together again are about the same as Santa Claus, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny showing up at your house to present you with a winning Powerball ticket. Pure fantasy.

A nuclear attack would do it.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:50 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
We're on opposite sides; she voted for Trump and I voted for Hillary. However, we managed to have a very nice, respectful discussion about our opposing viewpoints while knowing that we'd never change each others' minds.

I know some liberal people who have deleted friends on Facebook, etc., and I understand it - especially if they're feeling threatened by being in a minority group, but I also wonder how this nation will ever come together and resolve its deep divisions and differences if we can't even talk to each other. Seeing everyone who thinks differently from you as The Enemy is not helpful. It just alienates the other side, and then what? Is the solution that we only talk to people who think like we do and agree with us? That just puts us into a bubble of perceived safety and love, which doesn't help anyone cope with reality.
Of course you were, given she's standing over you with a pair of scissors in her hand.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
[quote=whogo;46244299]A nuclear attack would do it.[oulr put /QUOTE]

That kind of optimism would put anyone into a good mood!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
It's a simple fix....stop talking about politics with your friends.

Problem solved. I know that's extremely difficult for some folks, but give it a shot. It really works.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:46 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's a simple fix....stop talking about politics with your friends.

Problem solved. I know that's extremely difficult for some folks, but give it a shot. It really works.
exactly - have a friend (well he's my partners friend) who voted for Trump, while we held our noses and voted Hillary - voting against the ultra conservatives who stand behind trump--

we both agreed that the President can't change america, and doesn't really change our world...

and haven't talked politics since the week BEFORE the election. Its best that way. Had a nice convo today about the best source of organic virgin coconut oil, actually....

Old 11-19-2016, 03:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
exactly - have a friend (well he's my partners friend) who voted for Trump, while we held our noses and voted Hillary - voting against the ultra conservatives who stand behind trump--

we both agreed that the President can't change america, and doesn't really change our world...

and haven't talked politics since the week BEFORE the election. Its best that way. Had a nice convo today about the best source of organic virgin coconut oil, actually....
Most people aren't that conversationally versatile. They're drunk on Fox News babbling.

Conservatives are the worst. They'll turn ANYTHING into a political rant. Tell 'em that you ate a great hamburger for lunch, and they'll tell you that the cook is a bum for wanting $15 bucks an hour, and how the liberals are gonna screw up your next meal.

But they can't help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies