Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
What?
69,000,000 people voted against Hillary.

She got 63,000,000 votes..... I'm not sure you understand what a majority is.

And you just assume to assign "non voters" ? No.
Maybe he means all the foreigners not minted citizens yet, too young to vote or on their way?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:38 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Big city rat race life breeds dependence on the government, hence the reason you have so much liberalism in those places. Meanwhile most of the suburbs and rural areas are more independent and want smaller government.
Who's going to maintain all your winding suburban roads, your top-notch school districts, your giant strip mall parking lots and greenfield developments, and aging infrastructure if your govt. is smaller? Only inner cities have the density required to actually keep up with paying for their infrastructure. You cut yourselves off from them, then best of luck.

Cities are economic engines everywhere around the world, you expect to thrive by cutting yourself off from them? Because they can certainly live without you. Cities can't die. Even Detroit, which has struggled for so long, is at the start of an unprecedented resurgence (see: rapidly rising rents, property values, and new construction projects in downtown, Midtown, Corktown, and Eastern Market). It couldn't, can't, and won't stay down forever. All economic activity takes place in and around cities; it always has in the Industrial Age, and always will.

"But what will the cities do without our food, water, and resources?" Import it from elsewhere. With the exception of Atlanta, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and a handful of others, most cities are located on major or at least minor bodies of water they can draw from. They have access to airports, river ports, lake ports, etc (and that's assuming in an urban/rural split, the roads and RRs are shut down) through which they can import from other nations. Goods will become a hell of a lot more expensive, admittedly, which would likely lead to riots and economic troubles. But those are storms cities have proven they can weather. On the other hand, rural America wouldn't be receiving a dime, and would see the same issues, with less concentrated economic activity to make up for it. How many Fortune 500 Companies are HQ'd on a farm?

Cities are unique. They can survive anything. If Chicago can survive being burned to the ground, if London can survive being firebombed repeatedly, if Berlin can survive being conquered, blockaded and split in two, hell if Hiroshima can survive being nuked, then I think cities can survive a political split.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

City people just do not understand Republicans in rural areas. At all. We are from different planets.

Can't we just separate into two countries and go our separate ways? Why not?

As I posted elsewhere, every Muslim terrorist attack in the US has been done in a Democrat city. And yet, Democrat cities all voted for Clinton by huge margins, and the most devastated-by-terrorists city, New York City, voted 80% for Clinton. In Manhattan, where 9/11 took place specifically, Clinton got 90% of the vote.

We Democrats control the cities in this country. We WANT to invite Muslims in. We WANT the consequences of that. We WANT the illegals, the immigrants and the consequences they bring too.

So why stop us? We can't win you over, no matter what, it seems. I've seen countless posts from Republicans on this forum about the evil threat that Islam presents, the problems of illegals, black crime, etc etc etc. If you don't like it, maybe get out of the cities. Maybe we need our own country of American cities, and you Republicans get the rest of the country.

It's win-win, no?
Rural people don't understand city people.

Muslims don't understand Christians.

Christians don't understand Muslims.

Whites don't understand blacks.

Blacks don't understand whites.

Blondes don't understand brunettes.

Brunettes don't understand blondes.

Tall men don't understand short men.

Short men don't understand tall men.

And so it goes.

There are some people who are empathetic and do understand another's existence, to the extent possible. But most people are selfish and unempathetic these days. This used to not be the case.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:43 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I don't want any refugees in my country. They should have picked their leaders more carefully. They should have chosen a free society. They should have chosen Capitalism and Limited Government instead of Theocracy and other irrational nonsense. Refugees are responsible for their plight. They asked for it. They got it. They don't need to become freeloaders in my country.
Yeah, screw those child refugees! They should have chosen a better government! And the people who aren't allowed to vote under a dictatorship! They get exactly what they deserve!

Old 11-21-2016, 04:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Source? I know most of the grocery I buy are American sourced.
https://www.citizen.org/documents/fo...-nafta-wto.pdf

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/us-food-imports/

It's over 25%.

And I want you to look at both sites to consider what that "25%" is based on "value", meaning based on changing market prices.

If you measure based on volume, it's closing in on more than half. This consists of:

All meat
All fruits
All vegetables
All nuts, chocolate, coffee, and other staples of our diet.

So if you ate meat with vegetable today or at any point in the past, it was processed elsewhere and imported here.

We export an overwhelming amount of food that is produced as raw material-- typically, corn and potatoes. We also import almost all of our beef from Canada, apparently, as we export all our own.

Everything else is from California

Except cereals. Apparently we import only 12% (by market value, not volume).

Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Source? I know most of the grocery I buy are American sourced.
Hahahahaha! Seriously. Even some of the foods at your local food market (the kind that's on the street and has booths)....comes from another country.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Columbus surprises me as it's been branded in recent years as a "tier 2" Austin or Portland. The rest don't as they are probably the least urban "cities" in the country. Suburbs typically go red in most of the country and these places are for the most part, suburbs of nothing. Indianapolis does have a nice, urban downtown but it is dwarfed by it's sprawl.
Phoenix has become quite urban within a 10 mile radius of downtown, it is the outer reaches of the city that are more "suburban" and more conservative. My inner city district (AZ's 7th congressional, and 24th state district) is solid blue

Old 11-21-2016, 04:57 PM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Big city rat race life breeds dependence on the government, hence the reason you have so much liberalism in those places. Meanwhile most of the suburbs and rural areas are more independent and want smaller government.
People who live in urban areas are, on average, wealthier than people who live in rural areas.
The poorest area of the country is Appalachia.

Be informed.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Yeah, screw those child refugees! They should have chosen a better government! And the people who aren't allowed to vote under a dictatorship! They get exactly what they deserve!
I'm not going to be their cuckold. America does not need to be cuckolded, and is for the descendants of Americans.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
I'm not going to be their cuckold. America does not need to be cuckolded, and is for the descendants of Americans.
Ah, there it is. There's the Breitbart party line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies