Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times

Advertisements

'Bout the same as it's been my entire life. Cold in winter and hot in summer. Last winter was very cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:00 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
'Bout the same as it's been my entire life. Cold in winter and hot in summer. Last winter was very cold.
I project it is going to be cold for the next 3 years... global warming will fade into obscurity eventually... like most fake science...

Old 11-25-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
3.3 F for my city. With several record high temps. Right now we should be seeing some truly cold days...maybe some snow, but its just rain.
Here in NE Oho, we're right within the yearly average for this time of year. Record high was recorded way back in 1979 (64 degrees).

Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
2.4 F for Victoria, BC. Just enough to keep the snow away....This will be the 5th snowless winter in a row.
Better move inland ...the sea is rising!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I project it is going to be cold for the next 3 years... global warming will fade into obscurity eventually... like most fake science...
Yep. Weather patters are cyclical.

When I was a kid, they said we were headed for a new ice age! LOL

It's just laughable that people who are otherwise smart (well, not all of them) buy into this hooey.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 11-25-2016 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,949,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Still trying to milk a bit more propaganda out of El Niño?

Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
1.7 degree warmer in 2015. This year seems warmer then last year. Growing up we could see snow during Thanksgiving. It was almost 60 this year and just a couple weeks ago it was still in the 80's. Absolutely crazy. We just set a new record high. Does that prove global warming, no, but it's difficult to be skeptical with all the observable data we have from over the years.
You remind me that, as a child in the early 1960s here in Fort Worth, we usually had significant snow each winter. It was regular enough that local stores stocked and sold sleds and other winter equipment. By the 1970s it had become rarer and rarer. I don't believe I have seen sleds and such being sold around here for at least a decade, and probably more. Nowadays, if we get anything, it is a covering of ice.

As I have pointed out many times before, 'global warming' (or The Greenhouse Effect, as it used to be called), is not a new theory proposed by the Chinese or Liberals. It was first postulated in the 1820s, and by the 1890s there was some English scientist that predicted unacceptable levels of warming in 200 years; of course, he was extrapolating (if that is spelled right) based on carbon-based emissions as of that time in England (where coal was the main source of heating of homes, etc). He could not have foreseen the rise of the automobile two decades later.

Indeed, we learned about the Greenhouse Effect back in school in the 1960s; again, it was thought that it presented more of a future (i.e., hundred years) threat. Since that time, of course, two countries have since joined the world in modernization: India and China.

Some posters like to refer to an early 1970s article by a magazine (Look or Time, I think) that had some scientist predicting a 'new ice age'. I recall that the article got talked about, precisely because it was so opposite of what the vast majority of climate scientists were predicting. It was soon settled that the author of the piece used factually incorrect data, and so his fifteen minutes of fame passed.

I also recall, in 1980, visiting a famed glacier in Switzerland. We camped at the base of the glacier (easily accessible from the village), and there was an information board informing one that the glacier was retreating up the valley, and showing where the base was estimated to be in the coming decades. It showed a slow but steady retreat, but would have still be visible from the village for several decades before retreating around a huge curve.

Alas! By year 2000 or so it had gone. Not just up the valley around the curve, but gone from existence. The little village lost a source of tourist income. I think it was the Grindenwald glacier, or close to that name.

It is also interesting to read about how south Florida is already struggling with rising sea levels, with flooding in certain parts of Miami now regularity being inundated with flooding at the full moon (with the recent Super Moon causing additional problems). These neighborhoods certainly did not have such trouble when they were built decades ago.

I imagine that President-Elect Donald John Trump will (as he already has, to a small extent) backtrack on his unqualified statements of climate change being a Chinese hoax. It has been readily documented that our Military takes the threat very seriously, and no doubt he will, if he is willing, learn more about this subject.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:25 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,561 times
Not hot enough.

For the anti-science crowd, humans are not a cold climate species but rather a tropical species. Basically, a human should be able to live butt naked, sleep through night outdoors butt naked, and wake perfectly fine. Like Amerindians in the Amazon.

If you would freeze to death through the night in Idaho then for the human being... guess what? It was not hot enough. It was too damned cold.

The article in post #1 says this:

Quote:
Scientists declared that 2015 was Earth’s hottest year on record.
A complete lie. The earth is in a mini-ice age and for parts of the earth's history it was so hot typically that no ice glaciers existed.

Global warming is a better thing than worse thing for humans. If cold a$$ winters are so ideal for scientists and rich liberals then why are so many of them living their rear ends in Southern California, Florida, warm places rather than in Wisconsin, Northern Canada, or better yet the frozen Antarctica.

I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've gotten out an ran 2 or so miles just for exercise in 0 degree weather with a wind chill of something like 20 degrees below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. I bet the scientists are in their heated labs and offices while pontificating and singing the glories of frozen tundra.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:00 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
This weekend will be the 3rd rainy day of the season and that's way more than the last 5 years here.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
how can one really measure "normal"? As for our region,, we are way down in rainfall but our summer temps were almost the lowest in history; we had very few days above 95, the same last year. We are also down in snow, but what goes around comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies