Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:26 PM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Really? When is the last time you racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills? You don't have to tell me for what, so don't claim that it's private. Just tell me when you did it. Thanks.
Not common and yet not rare.

For me 2002. My wife 2004 and then again this year.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:27 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
Quote:
Exactly. You see, people have been told that at any second they will be struck down with a fatal illness that will completely bankrupt them. And yet, it's far more likely that, for example, their local university will strike them down and completely bankrupt them, which they oddly accept. Insurance should be like car insurance. Sure, your car could be totaled, in which case it is great that you have insurance. But if you used car insurance every time you had a scratch on your car and only had to pay a nominal fee, how much do you think people would be spending and abusing that?
Yeah no it shouldn't. Car insurance is a joke and so is your analogy. Unless of course you want to depreciate the human body and give 70% of value when you total it or have people that lost the genetic lottery to be screwed by having no coverage.

People should be entitled to the best care we have. Everyone and equally. Health of the population should be our biggest concern and it shouldn't be a means test to get care.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:28 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
You don't need to. If they don't pay, you put them in jail. It's not a difficult dilemma, if you wanted to address it in actuality. It becomes more difficult if you throw in a lot of stipulations like "oh, well, if they don't pay then you can't have any penalties, so now tell me how you would handle it?" Then, yes, I'd say, "huh, that's a weird stipulation, but I guess in that case you are right."
So now I'd have to pay for not only their health expenses in my taxes, but their housing and food expenses after they are incarcerated too, in addition to a nice dollop for the prison guards' union and the local corrupt, politically connected building contractors ?

I don't think "you can't have any penalties," but I don't see what you can or should do beyond whatever premium or copays a person of that income can bear. You could add a work (or volunteering or work-seeking for those who can't find work) requirement for able-bodied adults. I'd be fine with that.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:29 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not common and yet not rare.

For me 2002. My wife 2004 and then again this year.
Ah, but we have excellent solutions for events that are "not common and yet not rare." That is the true purpose of insurance, is it not? Not to pay for routine tests or doctor's visits or even for events that may cost a moderate, but manageable amount. You see?

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
P.S. People always claim that healthcare will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, which is impossible to manage. OK, ignoring that you should be able to purchase "catastrophic" insurance for those specific instances and pay for bills that are manageable, people have no problem, for example, purchasing houses with 30-year mortgages. Is your home worth more than your life? If so, priorities.
We will note.....you avoided my question as to whether or not you are willing to pony up more in taxes to pay for the war or are you saying you will take out a 30 year loan to pay for it?

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
My complaint was not that people are going to the hospital without carrying a physical copy of their insurance card. My complaint was that the people who utilize the healthcare system the most are often the ones who pay the least.
Where do you get this notion?

The ones who utilize the HC system the most are the sickest. Of course those with the very highest bills are most often subsidized, publicly or privately. Unless they are very rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies