Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times

Advertisements

My family we do dinner early; like around 2 or 3. That gives people time to relax after they eat and still leave with plenty of time left in the day to do whatever they want. No one ever leaves though, we hang out and drink then everyone stays the night.

But if they wanted to leave and shop they totally could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
My family is of modest means, old school and not materialistic. But we throw on a feed that would make many millionaires envious. Roast turkey, Pa dutch potato filling, AND bread stuffing, butternut squash,Copes dried corn, rolls, gravy, peas, pepper cabbage, cole slaw, cranberry relish, wine( for toasting), that weird green bean casserole thing, and then pies and ice cream and coffee. Then over the following days you have turkey pot pie and turkey corn noodle soup.
No shopping, no binge watching TV, just eating and talking. I'll take a feast like that with family over waiting in line to buy some too big TV or electronic gizmo that will be obsolete in a year.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:49 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
...so why do you need a national holiday for this?

Personally, I like national holidays like Thanksgiving, but celebrating them is a choice and I don't understand why you feel everyone should feel the same way you do.

Huh? No one said everyone has to do or feel the same thing. Some like traditional, and what sometimes happens is people start dismissing traditions as old fashioned or even oppressive and I reject that.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
After my Thanksgiving dinner with the family I drove out to the mall to see what's going on around 8:30pm. I found the food court was packed with shoppers eating big meals. Eating like they haven't had dinner at all.

The Mall opened here at 6PM on Thanksgiving Day, wait a sec.. Isn't that dinner time?
Yep it's dead, but for different reasons.

Thanksgiving has traditionally been to thank God for what He's given us in this country and for the food on the table.

We've made it to be about consumerism, partying, a turkey, and a football game.

Looking for meteor showers.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:56 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Actually, it was like that, although I don't blame interracial marriage or homosexuality. Blacks and other minorities celebrated Thanksgiving back then too. However, mobility and immigration have indeed played their parts. As has women in the workforce (not a bad thing), consumerism and the shaming of patriotism by the leftists.
Nothing is more Republican that opening on Thanksgiving Day to make a few more bucks, so your underpaid employees have to work, while you sit at home and have your picture-perfect Thanksgiving dinner as per your earlier pictures.

IMO, Consumerism is the #1 reason that Thanksgiving is not the same.

That said, to each their own. If you want to shop, then shop if a place is open. For our family, we spend it together (Thanksgiving is our biggest holiday to get together). We prefer not to shop, not only so we can be together doing what we like, but also so we don't contribute to others having to work for peanuts instead of being with family. It's our choice, we don't put it on anyone else.

And shaming of Patriotism is not a partisan issue either. Some Dems certainly seem to be ashamed of their American Heritage (I'm not one of them), but there's plenty of Republicans who seem to spit on what America was founded on. They seem to lack pride in our melting-pot heritage. And our right-leaning leaders seem to love to wage wars, and then cut budgets for Veterans. How Patriotic is that? How Patriotic is it that they don't want to pay for their wars, they want to put it on the backs of Working Americans?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you're a smart person, but your post seems to be ignorant of reality....

Old 11-29-2016, 08:08 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm wondering how that's possible?? I put my turkey in the oven at 9:30 a.m. and it was done at 2:30 p.m. so 5 hours for the bird. (15# bird).

As I cooked, I was trying to figure out how BF shoppers ever ate at all? If the doors opened at 4-6 p.m., then they had to have NOT cooked dinner (if they were the cook that day) and instead, got in line at least 3 hours prior. I can see why they were famished and ate in the mall....

They put the bird in the oven at 4 am and other people bring a dish or help cook. We usually eat at 1:00 or it depends on if someone has to work.

As for T day dinner being dead. Ha. I hear more complaints, mostly among the younger folks, about having to go to multiple family dinners.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
About 12 years ago I was still living in the same house as my then-husband and we were in the middle of a divorce. One of my sons was away in the military and the other planned on spending Thanksgiving with his fiance and her family. I went out to my favorite trail and trail ran for a couple of hours early in the afternoon. When I was done I drove back into town in search of something to eat. It was a small town in rural Tennessee and the only thing open was a Chinese restaurant. Sure...........why not? I walked in and was a little stunned just how many people were eating Chinese food on Thanksgiving.

What does that have to do with your story? Nothing. Just thought I'd share.
LOL. Reminds me of A Christmas Story.
Fra la la la la.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:12 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Yep it's dead, but for different reasons.

Thanksgiving has traditionally been to thank God for what He's given us in this country and for the food on the table.

We've made it to be about consumerism, partying, a turkey, and a football game.

Looking for meteor showers.
It's about God now??

Old 11-29-2016, 12:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
All our holidays DIED in 2007 and 2013 when DHs grandma and my grandma died. No one on either side took up the traditions and so Easter Dinner, Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Dinner DIED. " Do you own thing"...so we do. We dont celebrate anything now.

and yes my children are fine with it and dont care.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
It was dead for me years ago when we used to go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner. They are vegan. Blecccch. Need I say more. Trust a vegetarian/vegan to totally destroy a meal. Tofu turkey roast? Not even "cashew gravy" can help that. Tofu pumpkin pie? No Reddi Whip or ice cream on it to make it edible? No thanks. I was the only one in the office who came back 5 pounds thinner after Thanksgiving weekend.

DH did a complete 180...now we only spend Thanksgiving at my folks. What a spread! My mom is getting up in years, but I and youngest daughter will keep the tradition of fat packed unhealthy Pennsylvania Dutch cooking going strong. Thanksgiving hasn't changed much in Berks County, PA. Bring on the turkey, gravy, Copes Stewed Corn and Potato Filling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies