Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:46 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You mean like how Trump took credit for Ford keeping a plant open that they had no intention of closing or offshoring?
Mmmmmm-Hmmmmm........

Blindsided by Trump Tweet, UAW Meets With Ford on SUV Plan:

"Ford didn’t inform the union of its long-term plans for the MKC before those tweets went out Thursday night, Dunn said."

"After Trump’s tweets, the company acknowledged for the first time it had been considering moving production of the MKC to Mexico."

We had planned to move the Lincoln MKC out of Louisville Assembly Plant,” Christin Baker, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an e-mail, noting the UAW contract signed last year allowed for such a move. "Cuautitlan plant in Mexico was likely the plant for MKC."

Blindsided by Trump Tweet, UAW Meets With Ford on SUV Plan - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 06:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Really? Here is Sanders' proposal. Do you support the meek and pansy approach or do you support propsals with real teeth like this:

Sanders Statement on Carrier and Outsourcing - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont
Ex-Im Bank needs to stay. Cannot be touched. This is the only area of corporate welfare I propose. Other countries have something like it, we need it

Old 11-26-2016, 06:49 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Mike, if Trump can get Carrier to stay in Indiana, in a very similar way that Sanders is proposing to do the same, will you give him credit where credit is due?

Ford is already saying they're going to leave their Lincoln MKX production in Kentucky rather than moving to Mexico. Trump had a hand in that. Trump has Apple exploring the possibility of moving US based iphone production back to the US. It's only been three weeks since the election & he's not even in office yet. If he can continue this type of thing, where every week or two a major manufacturer agrees to stay rather than leave or starts looking at moving back, that would be a very good thing right?

Plenty of other things to hate on Trump for, but this is one where everyone should come together for the good of the country right?
I hope this happens and would be great for this country
It would mean less for shareholders, but then, they have a nice long ride off globalism for quite awhile now

Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
No he didn't!

From the mouth of the man who actually makes the decision about Ford plants:
Trump Takes Credit For Saving A U.S. Ford Plant That Wasn't Planning To Move To Mexico : The Two-Way : NPR

Not only did Trump take credit for something that wasn't ever going to happen, he ignores that the offshoring of jobs to Mexico is also going forward.
I'll give you half credit on this one. Trump did say the Kentucky plant wouldn't be closing & you're right, they didn't plan to close the actual plant in Kentucky. Obviously for some reason, you want to point to this as proof that he's lying or something? It seems pretty clear. that he misspoke because Ford absolutely planned to move production of the Lincoln MKC to Mexico, where Mexican workers would get those jobs at pennies on the dollar instead of American union workers. There's no reason other than some delusional hatred not to celebrate his obvious efforts to help the American worker.

We had planned to move the Lincoln MKC out of Louisville Assembly Plant,” Christin Baker, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an e-mail, noting the UAW contract signed last year allowed for such a move. "Cuautitlan plant in Mexico was likely the plant for MKC.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, but we need real pro-worker legislation, not just a factory here or there who claim they are staying (while gutting wages and benefits?) and thanking the dear leader for his hard work and the free publicity the company gets.

If Trump actually moves forward with Sanders in creating new trade deals championing the worker over corporate greed, then yes, he deserves credit. Will he get Ryan, McConnel and the other puppets of the corporate elite to agree, that is the question. But Trump is the leader, so he must take a lead and use the bully pulpit.
Because Trump isn't behold to the establishment GOP they will undoubtedly try to block some of these centrist policies he favors. This is why Democrats can't be d-bags and oppose things they support. They will have to unite with Trump on issues in order to beat the Republicans. There hasn't been a President in my lifetime who wasn't beholden to corporations or even his own party until Trump. He has the ability to make good things happen for everyone. Will it pan out that way? Time will tell, but I plan to be open minded as long as he's talking about rebuilding infrastructure in a "New Deal" kind of way, wants to reinstate Glass-Steagall to reign in the banks, is trying to bring back middle class/union jobs to the US & is refusing to name lobbyists to his government.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:23 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Mmmmmm-Hmmmmm........

Blindsided by Trump Tweet, UAW Meets With Ford on SUV Plan:

"Ford didn’t inform the union of its long-term plans for the MKC before those tweets went out Thursday night, Dunn said."

"After Trump’s tweets, the company acknowledged for the first time it had been considering moving production of the MKC to Mexico."

We had planned to move the Lincoln MKC out of Louisville Assembly Plant,” Christin Baker, a Ford spokeswoman, said in an e-mail, noting the UAW contract signed last year allowed for such a move. "Cuautitlan plant in Mexico was likely the plant for MKC."

Blindsided by Trump Tweet, UAW Meets With Ford on SUV Plan - Bloomberg
You mean the UAW was blindsided by an event that was never going to happen? Shocker! That plant was never going to close or move, so Trump claiming otherwise is a lie.

The UAW learned that the MKC was going to be moved from that plant to boost production of the better-selling Ford Escape. That has no impact on current American jobs. Keeping the MKC adds no American jobs. So whatever "win" you believe Trump accomplished here is wishful thinking.

Ford on Trump tweet: We'll keep Lincoln MKC in Kentucky

Quote:
Ford Motor Company ✔ @Ford
Louisville plant wasn’t moving; MKC was. Pres-elect’s econ policy will help boost US competitiveness, keep MKC here. http://ford.to/2g4yfnv
12:45 PM - 18 Nov 2016

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Really? Here is Sanders' proposal. Do you support the meek and pansy approach or do you support propsals with real teeth like this:

Sanders Statement on Carrier and Outsourcing - Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont
Why is it you would want to take teeth to US business concerns? This is exactly what I'm talking about because it does not address the fundamental issue which is outsourcing jobs.

If I own a business that does for example 40% with the government and I need to make a choice between them or remaining competitive in the market I'm going to choose the market. Imay lose 40% but that is better than losing 60%. Some other company may take that offer but the government will be paying more for something that it would on the open market.

I would support a broad tariff on goods coming into this country but realize if that is not combined with much a broader package that includes things like corporate tax cuts, regulation reforms and energy policy reforms prices are going up a lot.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
No he didn't!

From the mouth of the man who actually makes the decision about Ford plants:
Trump Takes Credit For Saving A U.S. Ford Plant That Wasn't Planning To Move To Mexico : The Two-Way : NPR

Not only did Trump take credit for something that wasn't ever going to happen, he ignores that the offshoring of jobs to Mexico is also going forward.
All of your disgruntled posts sound like the only thing that will make you happy is for the country to go down the tubes under Trump (after he actually takes office) - so you can gleefully high-five your fellow nay-sayers and shout, "I was right!" --

Old 11-26-2016, 07:50 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
"Bernie Sanders: I will soon be introducing legislation which fundamentally reforms our disastrous trade policies."

That's certainly something most of us can agree on. I don't exactly trust his instincts, but I will look forward to seeing his proposal.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
All of your disgruntled posts sound like the only thing that will make you happy is for the country to go down the tubes under Trump (after he actually takes office) - so you can gleefully high-five your fellow nay-sayers and shout, "I was right!" --
No. My goal is to point out your rank hypocrisies or delusions about who you put into office. Either defend it or accept it.

If you cared so much about keeping jobs on American soil for American workers, why do Conservatives fight so hard against unions? One of the things that's actually keeping Ford's jobs in America is the contract they have with the union about where and how they can expand. You've spent years demonizing unions then beg Trump to do what unions have historically done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies