Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Conway keeps criticizing Trump, maybe she should just let him make the decision. Secretary of State is probably one of the most important cabinet positions, it shouldn't be purely an award for political backers. Obama even appointed Clinton after an aggressive campaign, it wasn't nearly on a level of this one. Time to put differences aside and select who's best for the country.

Quote:
Washington (CNN)One of President-elect Donald Trump's top advisers said Sunday that his loyal supporters across the country feel "betrayed" that he is considering one of his most vicious critics, Mitt Romney, for secretary of state.

"I'm all for party unity, but I'm not sure we have to pay for that with the secretary of state position," Kellyanne Conway, Trump's campaign manager, told CNN's Dana Bash on "State of the Union."

She added: "It's just breathtaking in scope and intensity the type of messages I've received from all over the country ... the number of people who feel betrayed to think that Gov. Romney would get the most prominent Cabinet post after he went so far out of his way to hurt Donald Trump."

Kellyanne Conway: Trump backers feel 'betrayed' by Romney consideration - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 06:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Transisition insiders are reportedly saying Kellyanne has gone rogue as it relates to her comments on Romney. Reportedly, Trump is furious over her comments.

I am not buying it. She is doing the job she has been paid to do.
I don't think Romney was ever a serious consideration.

I don't think Romney nor Giuliani will get the nod for SoS.

The nominations/ appointments have turned into reality TV.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Maybe true but I don't understand what the point would be in having her criticize Romney, the election is over and it's up to Trump.

It is kind of laughable that she goes on a tirade for Romney and then says it's up to Trump.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:18 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
I don't believe Kellyanne would make these harsh criticisms of Romney publicly without an OK from Trump.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Ms Conway needs to zip it. We get it...she doesn't like Romney. Maybe there's something deeper and more complex going on here but I suspect she's stepping out of line and trying to interfere with negotiations between the Trump and Romney camps. Romney is perfect for SoS, but he won't come cheaply. Maybe Ms Conway is offended by his demands and Trump is using her to bargain with Romney, but it doesn't feel like it.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ms Conway needs to zip it. We get it...she doesn't like Romney. Maybe there's something deeper and more complex going on here but I suspect she's stepping out of line and trying to interfere with negotiations between the Trump and Romney camps. Romney is perfect for SoS, but he won't come cheaply. Maybe Ms Conway is offended by his demands and Trump is using her to bargain with Romney, but it doesn't feel like it.
Romney won't come cheaply?

Regardless of who Trump nominates and the Senate confirms, the winner gets the same package of comp/ benefits and perks like an Air Force transportation and first class accommodations.

Congress, not POTUS, determines compensation for Cabinet members. These positions pay a fraction of what would be paid in the private sector for compariable responsibility.

SoS typically bears gifts and goodies to help goose international negotiations.

I am surprised Romney agreed to meet with Trump or is interested in the position.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Romney won't come cheaply?

Regardless of who Trump nominates and the Senate confirms, the winner gets the same package of comp/ benefits and perks like an Air Force transportation and first class accommodations.

Congress, not POTUS, determines compensation for Cabinet members. These positions pay a fraction of what would be paid in the private sector for compariable responsibility.

SoS typically bears gifts and goodies to help goose international negotiations.

I am surprised Romney agreed to meet with Trump or is interested in the position.

You're talking money and perks. Romney is a wealthy man, he doesn't need that. I'm talking about power.

IMO Romney and Trump would make an interesting team. Trump could play the iron fist while Romney could play the velvet glove. In reality both men are skilled and intelligent negotiators, but there's a tension between the two that has to be resolved. For one, how much power will Romney have as SoS? He's not the kind of man who's going to be Trump's puppet. On the other hand, Trump doesn't need a SoS who's going to go rogue on him or set up the kind of sloppy operation Hillary did.

But then there's this...http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...etary-of-state

Last edited by Dockside; 11-28-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,937,539 times
The whole Romney for SoS is interesting from many angles. First, given Romney's stated opinion of Trump, you'd think he would turn down any offer of a Cabinet position, if only to maintain his self-respect. On the other hand, he obviously has a strong sense of duty to serving his country, so that might make it hard for him to turn down.

From Trump's side, I don't think he has any intention of offering Romney a job. It may be all theatrics to show how he is supposedly reaching out to the other side, in which case Kellyanne's comments are designed to give him an excuse to back out.

If it did happen, I don't see it working out. At some point Romney would probably resign in protest or Trump would fire him.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Conway is doing what Trump has asked her to do, in my opinion. He wants Romney to back out on his own.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:13 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Conway's public comments on this, I think, put a lot of minds at greater ease as that snake Romney has no business anywhere near the Trump White House. Trump's credibility would go down like the Hindenburg upon a Romney appointment to ANY key position.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one still scratching his head wondering why he ever agreed to meet with him.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 11-28-2016 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies