Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,120,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Millions of us wanted someone in the White House every bit as different as Trump is from whatever Milquetoast would have made you happy.
I'd have taken anyone over Trump. Even Hilary. And I can't stand Hilary. But now that we're stuck with this guy I'd like to see him become something other than a raving lunatic. I'm willing to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,752,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'd have taken anyone over Trump. Even Hilary. And I can't stand Hilary. But now that we're stuck with this guy I'd like to see him become something other than a raving lunatic. I'm willing to wait and see.
Fascinating.

So few have ever seen straight-shooting honesty from a politician that it is perceived as "raving lunacy" at first exposure. PC healing will take some time.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:58 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,536,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, it's always good when your SoS has gone on record as calling his President a phony and a fraud.
so I guess you feel the same about President Obama's first choice of Hillary Clinton

Quote:
Here are four times the Clinton’s referred to our current President, Barack Obama, as unqualified to run for the highest office in the land.
•In 2008, Hillary Clinton told reporters that both she and John McCain have the experience to run for President, but Barack Obama does not: “He (McCain) will put forth his lifetime of experience. I will put forth my lifetime of experience. Senator Obama will put forth a speech he made in 2002.”
•Hillary repeated the claim almost verbatim a few weeks later, proving it was a calculated attack to call Obama unqualified: “I think that I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience to the White House. And Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002.”
•In a speech questioning Obama’s judgment, Bill Clinton called his wife’s opponent’s campaign a fairy tale: “Give me a break. This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I’ve ever seen.”
•Perhaps the most egregious example of the Clinton’s trying to portray Obama as unqualified came when Bill scoffed at the future President saying he should have been getting them coffee: “[A]s Hillary bungled Caroline, Bill’s handling of Ted was even worse. The day after Iowa, he phoned Kennedy and pressed for an endorsement, making the case for his wife. But Bill then went on, belittling Obama in a manner that deeply offended Kennedy. Recounting the conversation later to a friend, Teddy fumed that Clinton had said, A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee.”
Quote:
Another Clinton broadside that still echoes came in April 2008, after Obama was secretly taped saying he thought rural voters “cling to guns or religion” to cope with economic uncertainty.

“You don’t have to think back too far to remember that good men running for president were viewed as being elitist and out of touch with the values and the lives of millions of Americans,” Clinton said, referring to the unsuccessful campaign of 2004 Democratic nominee John Kerry, who would become her replacement at the State Department five years later.

Quote:
Hillary is quoted as having said of Obama, 'You can’t trust the motherf***er'.
Quote:
Hillary Clinton’s campaign do nothing to push back against the racist fear-mongering about Obama, it actually fed this atmosphere and helped it grow. It was a part of their strategy from early in the campaign.

Back in March of 2007, Hillary Clinton’s chief strategist Mark Penn wrote a campaign memo that proposed painting Barack Obama as un-American or “other”:

“His roots to basic American values and culture are at best limited. I cannot imagine America electing a president during a time of war who is not at his center fundamentally American in his thinking and in his values ... Every speech should contain the line you were born in the middle of America to the middle class in the middle of the last century ... Let’s explicitly own ‘American’ in our programs, the speeches and the values. He doesn’t.“

In December of 2007, Billy Shaheen, the co-chair of Clinton’s New Hampshire campaign, raised the issue of Obama’s drug use as a young man, and the possibility that Obama could be attacked as a drug dealer. He said he was talking about how Republicans would attack Obama, but his statements had the effect of injecting racist stereotypes into the campaign: “It’ll be, ‘When was the last time? Did you ever give drugs to anyone? Did you sell them to anyone?’ There are so many openings for Republican dirty tricks.” It is a tried and true tactic: floating an idea to which you claim to not personally ascribe, with the effect of getting the idea to circulate.

In February 2008, the Drudge Report posted a picture of Obama in traditional Kenyan/Somali clothes (including a turban, which helped reinforce the “secret Muslim” smear). Drudge said the picture was circulated by the Clinton campaign. David Plouffe, Obama’s campaign manager called it “the most shameful, offensive fear-mongering we’ve seen from either party in this election.”

Stephanie Tubbs Jones, a member of Congress and Clinton surrogate, when asked about the circulation of the photo, implied that Barack Obama is native to Kenya: “I have no shame, or no problem, with people looking at Barack Obama in his native clothing, the clothing of his country … if we’re supporting a woman or an African American for president, we ought to be able to support their ability to wear the clothing of their nation.”

In 2008, Clinton had been counting on Black voters, much as she is now, as the primaries move to states with more diverse electorates. But after Barack Obama’s victory in South Carolina in 2008 made it clear that most Black voters were supporting him, the Clinton campaign began making the argument that Obama was not electable because he was not winning enough support from white voters. The Clinton campaign implied, over and over again that, as a Black man, Obama could not attract the support of the white people (many of them racists, apparently) supporting Clinton’s campaign.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...b_9312004.html

Old 11-28-2016, 01:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,120,647 times
Quote:
Fascinating.

So few have ever seen straight-shooting honesty from a politician that it is perceived as "raving lunacy" at first exposure. PC healing will take some time.
Straight shooting honesty from Trump? Like his involvement in the "birther" nonsense? And whatever happened to all of the evidence his "crack team" of investigators was supposedly digging up in Hawaii? As it turns out he never had a team of investigators in Hawaii in the first place. And if he did where is all of the "amazing things" this crack team of investigators was supposedly digging up? He never had diddly and was eventually forced to admit that there was nothing to the "birther" claims. And then there was his claim that he saw "tens of thousands" of muslims up on the rooftops in Jersey City, N.J. cheering the 9/11 attacks on the world trade center. Never happened. This claim has been debunked over and over again. A quick google search turns up dozens of other examples of outright lies by Trump. "Straight shooter" my ass. More like pathological liar.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,981,145 times
Trump's approach is pretty interesting.
He seems to start with a slash and burn approach, then offers an olive branch and it seems to work every time. Once he meets people face to face, they always come away enamored with him regardless of how bitter he was with them.
It would seem he knows how to play the game on a new level.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

The nominations/ appointments have turned into reality TV.
Did anyone expect otherwise? I mean, this is the Trump way.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Trump's approach is pretty interesting.
He seems to start with a slash and burn approach, then offers an olive branch and it seems to work every time. Once he meets people face to face, they always come away enamored with him regardless of how bitter he was with them.
It would seem he knows how to play the game on a new level.
That this works tells me there are more stupid people in positions of power than I ever realized.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Fascinating.

Hahahahahahahaha!

You're kidding, right?

You think Teddy Roosevelt wasn't a "straight shooter?"

I'm pretty sure he was. Literally and figuratively.

Trump is a liar.

A con man.

A crook.

And his presidency will be a bad one.

Honesty?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:52 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,460,013 times
The whole continuing episode shows Trump's weakness. Even FOXNEWS and Karl Rove think the public squabbling makes him look "weak."

Old 11-28-2016, 01:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,323,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
don't care what a campaign manager thinks

selecting Romney, who is politically savvy and knows and understands diplomacy, is probably one of the best choices for SoS
People are sick and tired of "political savvy". Political savvy is saying one thing and doing the other. The people who voted for Trump want absolutely nothing to do with Romney. I didn't vote for Trump and I want nothing to do with Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies