Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times

Advertisements

Percent of Adults Reporting Poor Mental Health Status, by Gender | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I have to say I agree with the findings from work environments and being in public alot that there is a huge amount of unhappiness among many women, especially younger ones.

46% of women for instance in Oregon and Utah have poor mental status. The rates of women in bad mental health is especially high in the industrial Midwest and West coast.

South Dakota had the lowest amount of women in poor mental health at 30%. Many of the plains states from Texas and North Dakota.

Oddly, South Dakota has the lowest gap on female and male mental health. 25% women in poor mental health compared to 30% of men.

I am just going based off a short-trip from years ago to Sioux Falls but there but people there seem to be very calm, relaxed and reserved. I noticed that people tend to go into public there with a large social network. People there didn't seem very loud or opinionated just extremely mellow with a "what ever" mentality.

I have lived in several states and must admit that I am not surprised by the findings when it comes to the plains states having much better mental health then the west (Oregon, Utah)

In general, it seems like women do very good in states like Nebraska, Iowa and the Dakotas because they tend to be far closer to families and in general a large social network is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:36 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Percent of Adults Reporting Poor Mental Health Status, by Gender | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I have to say I agree with the findings from work environments and being in public alot that there is a huge amount of unhappiness among many women, especially younger ones.

46% of women for instance in Oregon and Utah have poor mental status. The rates of women in bad mental health is especially high in the industrial Midwest and West coast.

South Dakota had the lowest amount of women in poor mental health at 30%. Many of the plains states from Texas and North Dakota.

Oddly, South Dakota has the lowest gap on female and male mental health. 25% women in poor mental health compared to 30% of men.

I am just going based off a short-trip from years ago to Sioux Falls but there but people there seem to be very calm, relaxed and reserved. I noticed that people tend to go into public there with a large social network. People there didn't seem very loud or opinionated just extremely mellow with a "what ever" mentality.

I have lived in several states and must admit that I am not surprised by the findings when it comes to the plains states having much better mental health then the west (Oregon, Utah)

In general, it seems like women do very good in states like Nebraska, Iowa and the Dakotas because they tend to be far closer to families and in general a large social network is important.
Hmm..an anecdotal study..based on self-reporting:

"Data represent adults ages 18 and over who reported that their mental health was "not good" between one and 30 days in the past 30 days."

Data was gathered by:

"Data based on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), an ongoing, state-based, random-digit-dialed telephone survey of non-institutionalized civilian adults aged 18 years and older."

Land-lines? Cells? A combo?

"not good" is a bit subjective for my tastes...in a study the purports to be scientific.

You draw a lot of conclusions from this...which is cool..your experience is as valid as any one else...but to draw any conclusions..from this one study..about the on-going state of women's mental health..or the causes, is a bit beyond me..

Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Sounds like a new way to collect benefits.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:43 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Hmm..an anecdotal study..based on self-reporting:

"Data represent adults ages 18 and over who reported that their mental health was "not good" between one and 30 days in the past 30 days."

Data was gathered by:

"Data based on the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), an ongoing, state-based, random-digit-dialed telephone survey of non-institutionalized civilian adults aged 18 years and older."

Land-lines? Cells? A combo?

"not good" is a bit subjective for my tastes...in a study the purports to be scientific.

You draw a lot of conclusions from this...which is cool..your experience is as valid as any one else...but to draw any conclusions..from this one study..about the on-going state of women's mental health..or the causes, is a bit beyond me..

Hmm...(taken from the CDC website) "the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System is the nation's premier system of health related telephone surveys that collect state data about U.S. residents regarding their health related risk behaviors, chronic health conditions, and use of preventative services."

"Currently, there is a wide sponsorship of the BRFFS survey, including most divisions in the CDC national Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; other CDC centers; and federal agencies, such as the Health Resources and Services Administration, Administration on Aging, Department of Veterans Affairs, and Mental Health Services Administration."

It may be beyond you, but it is not beyond the CDC and many government health agencies.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,648,397 times
Default Survey: 18 states with over 40% of women with poor mental health

And to think, libs almost elected one of them!

Old 12-10-2016, 05:16 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
I thought obamacare was the answer.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
I agree, men drive us batty... But to be honest, men won't talk -where women will tell you their woes. We might ask their bar tender. The study is showing a lot of women???

Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times
I should have said 25% of men surveyed had poor mental health in South Dakota compared to 30% of women.

My mistake. It does look that per the survey, the gap between female and male mental health is lowest in South Dakota

Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,503,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I agree, men drive us batty... But to be honest, men won't talk -where women will tell you their woes. We might ask their bar tender. The study is showing a lot of women???
No kidding. I've been apartment hunting and got texted to death by a landlady, who I deduced to be a 60-something retired lawyer that spent the whole time second guessing a decision I wasn't second guessing when I was parked at my credit union ready to grab deposit money...but, she couldn't keep it simp!e!

Sigh. That's why we can't have nice things.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:57 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I should have said 25% of men surveyed had poor mental health in South Dakota compared to 30% of women.

My mistake. It does look that per the survey, the gap between female and male mental health is lowest in South Dakota
Across the country there seems to be a 10 pt difference between the sexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies