Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Baby boomers are mostly retired. Millennials are working and supporting them. In fact, baby boomers only contributed about a third of the Medicare benefits they receive. They are depending on those Millennials to pay the other two thirds. Think about that. These snowflake baby boomers that lived a life of pensions, a single career often with minimal education, unlimited Medicare, Medicaid for their nursing home care, Social Security, etc. are being completely supplemented by the younger working generation.
80% of boomers are still working.....only the oldest are JUST NOW reaching retirement age within the last 3 years...and 60% of the oldest are still working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
... next generation?

I think this is a serious question that needs asked. Many of the Millenials have got a huge "boost" from their parents and grandparents who saved enough money to pay for their college, wedding, 20% down on their house, pay for their car when they turned 16, etc. From the looks of it, these same Millenials aren't on track to have enough of a net worth to do any of the same for their kids. When the average net worth of a nation's citizens reaches $0 or negative, that's when it is essentially a 3rd world country even if it doesn't look like one yet.
I agree that it's a serious question. It's fair to criticize Baby Boomer generation but we did create significant wealth to have a pretty good lifestyle for the majority. Now let's see how the next generation does. I have 3 Millenials, I hope you do better than we did, you criticized now's your chance to prove you can do better. We did spoil our kids more than we were spoiled, was that a mistake?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:33 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Baby boomers got rich and created a ton of wealth for themselves. They did so at the expense of putting the country into bankruptcy. You can try to pass the buck and blame politicians but they were the electorate in charge of putting these goons into power.

$20T+ in debt they have left their children and grandchildren with; what does that say about their accountability and morality? I equate it to a dine and dash and left their grandkids to pickup the bill.

I'm not defending millennials as they have their own entitlement issues but baby boomers have caused a lot of harm to the long-term fundamental success for this nation.

This is not a political commentary either as both parties as elbows deep in the problem. Republics love fighting wars and commies while dems love creating social welfare programs and enhancing entitlements.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:42 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
OP, I don't think you have that much to deal with. Most "millennials" are simply children that have little real world experience, especially little work experience. Every generation thought they knew everything, especially during their college years. Millennials will (for the most part anyway) grow up, learn, and eventually become contributing adults. Just like every generation before them. And like the rest of us, some have more growing up to do than others, and all will make mistakes along the way. Part of growing up. Childhood does seem to be lasting far longer these days, but that is largely the fault of parents that have provided to the every want and desire of their children. Many have never even held a job until the are 18, 19, or even older. But their parents have bought them their cars, paid for their education, health care, car insurance, etc. How can they be expected to act as anything but indulged children?

Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
This baby boomer can't retire nobody wants to be a skilled craftsman so my phone never stops ringing what will they do when we are gone.Is there a smartphone app for that or will they miss us?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Baby boomers are mostly retired. Millennials are working and supporting them. In fact, baby boomers only contributed about a third of the Medicare benefits they receive. They are depending on those Millennials to pay the other two thirds. Think about that. These snowflake baby boomers that lived a life of pensions, a single career often with minimal education, unlimited Medicare, Medicaid for their nursing home care, Social Security, etc. are being completely supplemented by the younger working generation.
It's the way the system works, which Dims set up by the way, you pay for the retired generation's social security and Medicare....we did it for our parents and now it's your turn, quit your crying and bellyaching and make me a latte.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:06 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
This baby boomer can't retire nobody wants to be a skilled craftsman so my phone never stops ringing what will they do when we are gone.Is there a smartphone app for that or will they miss us?
I'd love to be a skilled craftsman. Are you willing to train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies