Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
NO manufacturers of ANY TV in the US, none! No option to buy American! Sad......
Yes, I know that. Thanks in part to wal mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Designed, Cut and Sewn in Los Angeles | American Apparel

Nope, I am not paying these prices. I will get out my sewing machine for my own "Made in America" because I not paying these kinds of prices for one pair of jeans.

WHY do you think they are going bust? Hint. They have to pay American WAGES, not CHINESE wages.
That's a fashion company. Several US jean makers out there with reasonable prices for quality jeans...

Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
I make my purchases based on the best quality at a price I can afford. Sometimes it's made in the USA. Sometimes it's not.

Also, apparently there is a company that manufactures TVs in the US. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-the-u-dot-s

Old 12-06-2016, 05:31 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Made in the USA? I can assure this jacket is on a whole other level where quality is concerned compared to some Chinese jacket. The local leather shops was first place I went looking for them and those $100 jackets are junk compared to this. It's also guaranteed for life; if the zipper breaks, the stitching comes apart or button fails you can send it back and get it fixed for free.
Hard to say, there really comes a point where you weight if it matters or not. I bought a pea coat for 80 bucks once, it was not badly made fit pretty well and all things considered, I could not see paying much more fore it, even if it was made to extreme superior quality. As I said, I weight price and quality equally, if I need more quality due to a specific purpose, I go with that... if not... well... you get the point.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't necessarily disagree, no sense rewarding junk products. On the other hand my everyday shoes are light Red Wing boots. I know I can wear them for the next five years so certainly worth the $225 price of admission. One pair I have I'm considering shipping back for the $100 makeover, the upper part is perfect shape and it only needs the sole.
But you are not buying the boots just because they are made in the USA, you are buying them because of the quality.

If a US manufacturer happens to turn "made in USA" into a label for their product that means "quality" to a consumer, then that is great.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:37 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Designed, Cut and Sewn in Los Angeles | American Apparel

Nope, I am not paying these prices. I will get out my sewing machine for my own "Made in America" because I not paying these kinds of prices for one pair of jeans.

WHY do you think they are going bust? Hint. They have to pay American WAGES, not CHINESE wages.
In fairness, American Apparel has had all sorts of problems, beginning with a CEO/founder who reportedly had problems keeping his hands (and other appendages) to himself. He's been kicked out and is now spending his time suing the company for all they have. The company's history of extremely suggestive advertising didn't exactly help.

"Valley Girls who want to make Daddy mad" is a lucrative niche, but very hard to break out of.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Glad to hear that loser was kicked out, didn't know that.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:52 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
So - counterexample: Why isn't there a single US-made motorcycle I want to own? The country that subsists on internal combustion engines won't make me anything I consider fun to ride?

I don't like cruisers. That's my preference, they're not to my taste, I am not in any way saying it's wrong to do so. Just not for me.

Every major motorcycle manufacturer in the world acknowledges that perhaps my tastes could be worth catering to. Give me a catalogue from Ducati, BMW, Triumph or the Big Four, there will be something for me to be excited about. Harley and Indian? Nope. Don't want my money. It's a bit frustrating, truth be told.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I make my purchases based on the best quality at a price I can afford. Sometimes it's made in the USA. Sometimes it's not.
Sometimes that is hard to determine, you may not spend $300 on a pair Red wings shoes but may if you know you will have them for the next 5 years using them daily.

When I was in my teens I worked at a place that sold lawnmowers. The salesman for the one line called Ariens was there. A customer asked the owner why the lawnmower was $400. This salesman was about 250 pounds, he walks over to the lawnmower and starts jumping up and down on the deck. LOL

Probably wasn't the greatest way to do it but I think he drove the point home.

Another thing to note is when you see these brand names like Husqvarna in these box stores that product line on the shelves were specifically made for the consumer. I'm not saying it's absolute junk but the better Husky saws which built that brand are available at the dealers and you will pay a lot more for them.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post

Also, apparently there is a company that manufactures TVs in the US. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...in-the-u-dot-s
They are assembled in the US, and they also get horrible reviews. I researched Elements when I was shopping for my last TV, I ended up buying a Sony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies