Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 04:01 AM

34,019 posts, read 17,045,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The democratic party is doing just fine at the local level and in the big cities where most of the actual people live. In my congressional district, the incumbent Democrat got re-elected 76-24 versus the Republican challenger, and in my state district, the democrats for house and senate ran unopposed (and obviously won)

LOL. Dems have just 1/3rd the governors, 4 states where they control govs and state houses. GOP controls governor and state houses in 25 states.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,215,951 times
Quote:
The point of this post is that the EC is going to continue to get less and less representative of the actual vote as populations continue to shift from small towns and rural areas into big metro areas countrywide.

A thought rather than doing away with the EC entirely (what I want, but won't get more than likely) is to redraw congressional districts nationwide to be less partisan, and to have states move away from the current winner-take-all to what Nebraska does sort of, have each congressional district's vote go to who won in that district and then whichever candidate won more districts in that state could get both senatorial votes.

Sound fair?
No.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Correction, it is not working as intended, because eventually, it will totally favor the Republican party in it's current form, as rural areas will continue to get much more weight than cities

LOL.

We literally had had 100s of topics created here about "Trump has no path to 270", Republicans are a dying breed, Hillary's Blue Wall can't be broken by GOP, etc etc.

Now after all that has been proven absolutely wrong and Democrats were decimated in the polls, we get, the US Constitution is unfair to Democrats.

Nobody is going to by that except for Democrats who refuse to admit their policies cost them the election.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,634 times
Quote:
Correction, it is not working as intended, because eventually, it will totally favor the Republican party in it's current form, as rural areas will continue to get much more weight than cities
Well that's a good thing. After all we are a Republic----not a Democracy!

Old 12-09-2016, 04:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL.

We literally had had 100s of topics created here about "Trump has no path to 270", Republicans are a dying breed, Hillary's Blue Wall can't be broken by GOP, etc etc.

Now after all that has been proven absolutely wrong and Democrats were decimated in the polls, we get, the US Constitution is unfair to Democrats.

Nobody is going to by that except for Democrats who refuse to admit their policies cost them the election.
How will you feel about the EC if more faithless electors come forward?

Texas elector says he won't vote for Trump - POLITICO

Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
How will you feel about the EC if more faithless electors come forward?
I'm fine with the US Constitution. I can't imagine why you still to make attempt to tear it up. That belief isn't dependent upon one idiot who decides to break his pledge to get 5 minutes of fame.

Trump will be elected the next president by the EC. So I recommend that you go ahead and accept that, or you are in line for more disappointment.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I'm fine with the US Constitution. I can't imagine why you still to make attempt to tear it up. That belief isn't dependent upon one idiot who decides to break his pledge to get 5 minutes of fame.

Trump will be elected the next president by the EC. So I recommend that you go ahead and accept that, or you are in line for more disappointment.
There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their states.

Some states have penalties if their electors go against the popular vote in their state, but it's not unconstitutional for them to do so.

I have no doubt that Trump will be inaugurated next month. He. however, was very critical of the EC in 2012. Did you have a problem when he tweeted out about it in 2012, calling it a disaster for democracy and saying the American people should revolt?

Old 12-09-2016, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
The point of this post is that the EC is going to continue to get less and less representative of the actual vote as populations continue to shift from small towns and rural areas into big metro areas countrywide.

A thought rather than doing away with the EC entirely (what I want, but won't get more than likely) is to redraw congressional districts nationwide to be less partisan, and to have states move away from the current winner-take-all to what Nebraska does sort of, have each congressional district's vote go to who won in that district and then whichever candidate won more districts in that state could get both senatorial votes.

Sound fair?
you can't make districts less partisan, who would make that decision? To change the EC you are right almost can not happen and right now, the way it is set up, all states are represented. It is unlikely what we saw this year will happen again in the near future. I think most of us realized months ago, this would be a very unusual year.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their states..
Never said there was. Anyone who stayed awake during a high school social studies & history classes would realize this is the responsibility of the states, by design.

I am absolutely fine with that.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:

I made no attempt to tear it up.

Why haven't you responded on your boy's criticisms of the EC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies