Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 10:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

Trump's incompetency has me thinking about bad a President Pence might actually be. If Trump's plan is to use the office to further his business goals and not actually do the full job, it wouldn't surprise me if impeachment or resignation will be happening within the next four years. That will leave us with President Pence.

One thing about Pence is he absolutely despises the LGBT community. While Trump believes marriage equality is the law of the land, Pence would actively try to roll it back. He would probably go farther and try to push through a national "religious freedom" law legalizing discrimination nationwide. There is a good chance he could also try to re-instate Don't Ask Don't Tell and made it legal for federal employers to fire employees for coming out of the closet. That is a scary thought.

Aside from that issue however, would Pence really be worse than Trump? Instead of having a buffoon with a conflict of interest, we would at least have somebody who seems to take the position seriously. I am wondering if we might just have to hunker down in terms of social progress for the next four years just to make it through it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump's incompetency has me thinking about bad a President Pence might actually be. If Trump's plan is to use the office to further his business goals and not actually do the full job, it wouldn't surprise me if impeachment or resignation will be happening within the next four years. That will leave us with President Pence.

One thing about Pence is he absolutely despises the LGBT community. While Trump believes marriage equality is the law of the land, Pence would actively try to roll it back. He would probably go farther and try to push through a national "religious freedom" law legalizing discrimination nationwide. There is a good chance he could also try to re-instate Don't Ask Don't Tell and made it legal for federal employers to fire employees for coming out of the closet. That is a scary thought.

Aside from that issue however, would Pence really be worse than Trump? Instead of having a buffoon with a conflict of interest, we would at least have somebody who seems to take the position seriously. I am wondering if we might just have to hunker down in terms of social progress for the next four years just to make it through it.

Thoughts?
It's very likely don't ask don't tell and allowing transgendered in the military will be overturned anyway. Mattis isn't a huge fan of using the military for social experimentation.

Not sure rolling back marriage equality is that easy. It takes a lot of work to overturn a Supreme Court ruling.

Even if it ever became legal to fire someone for being gay, the current law is a feel good useless law anyway. If someone wanted to fire a gay person now, they'd simply figure out another way to fire you. If you're gay and your boss hates you because of it, you're in a bad spot regardless of what the law says.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Thoughts?
Well, he would certainly like to see women pregnant and back in the kitchen too. I'm certain he will try to push these policies as Vice President and some of the cabinet look like clear Pence picks.

So ~ who knows?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Yes.

Trump is an unprincipled opportunist. But, as such he can actually do some good because he wants to be loved and admired.

Pence is an ideologue. Far more dangerous.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:29 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Pence's record on abortion and LGBT scare the hell out of me. However, he is much more controlled and he won't start a war over a perceived slight.

Since Trump seems to be rolling over to the far right anyway, I'd take Pence over him as I think he's less dangerous.

I don't understand Trump's comments about SCOTUS and how they can overturn Roe v Wade but gay marriage is here to stay. Are there a lot of potential justices who are anti-abortion but pro gay marriage? I guess it's possible.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I don't understand Trump's comments about SCOTUS and how they can overturn Roe v Wade but gay marriage is here to stay. Are there a lot of potential justices who are anti-abortion but pro gay marriage? I guess it's possible.
They are slightly different issues.

Roe v Wade could be overturned if SCOTUS ruled that the unborn fetus has a right to life. As far as Obergefell, "my holy book says this is an abomination" won't fly in a court of law unless you have activist judges.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:37 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes.

Trump is an unprincipled opportunist. But, as such he can actually do some good because he wants to be loved and admired.

100% agree with this.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Pence would not get any wacky social legislation passed. Beside the filibuster, there are too many R senators from outside the bible belt that simply would not go along with it. On the other hand, he would be a real enemy of working people hewing to the anti-labor, anti-working people platform of the GOP. Trump, who knows? We thought he was a populist but now it is looking like he is there to enrich himself and endear himself now to the upper crust that has never accepted him as one of them. On thing sure, Trump is in way, way beyond his level of competence. He is either unable or unwilling to learn what the job requires. Pence, after a bit of OJT, could pull off the job.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Yes.

Trump is an unprincipled opportunist. But, as such he can actually do some good because [b]he wants to be loved and admired[/B/.

Can't we just buy him a puppy and send him on his way?

Quote:

I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies