Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You started a thread whining about millennials, expecting everyone to agree with you. That didn't happen. Now that people have been calling you out, you're lamely trying to worm your way out of this by asking the mods to close it. That's pathetic.
ok, yes, your right...your absolutely right! couldn't agree with you more!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:19 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Close it.... I said my piece. Lol

Old 12-15-2016, 01:22 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Five?

Boomers
Xers
Millennials

And...
the Silent Generation (1938- 58)
the post-Millenials (still to be defined)

Generations overlap and don't follow the calendar's decades. A child born in 1998 is now 18, old enough to join the work force.

Meanwhile, the average life span is 78. That means there are a lot of workers in their 70s who are still working daily, and folks in their 80s who are still working alongside the teens.

People are living longer, working longer, and competing more generationally now than at any time in the past.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:38 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Where on this thead, did I say, Jerky Millennial? again with the power words.

I admit, the title could have been different, and should have been, and have said over and over again.....

yanno what, not worth it, honestly....not ...your right....your absolutely right....

I apologize. You are correct. You didn't ever call Millennials jerky. You did however, in post #1, say they were:

Rude & fast paced
Selfish
Quick to judge
Name calling, bullying and judging
Incapable of looking at a much bigger picture
Lost a respect for laws and rules
Loss of intellectual skills.
Ability to problem solve has been lost
Have to have their way or else
Left their kids run wild in public places
Entitled with snotty attitudes.
Feel they are above rules
Nasty & curt

Clearly NONE of that could be construed as you believing they are jerks so once again, I apologize.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
IT is not millenials you should be worried about. .
I am a millennial. I once debated with a neo-Nazi in Germany; he was a lot nicer than some of the posters here. Frankly, he was a much better debater, too.

Well, nobody (definitely not me) is saying op has a perfect argument. But you certainly can agree that being a little nicer to her doesn't hurt. Right?

Treat people the way you want to be treated. Nobody here is a perfect debater. Debate forum is not a war zone, and don't act like a keyboard warrior to another poster.

This message is not directed at you, but "you are pathetic" is ad hominem, is a logical fallacy. lol

and for your information, and maybe you and I should both go back read her posts. I disagreed with her at the beginning of the thread, she replied my post very nicely and politely. I haven't seen her rude replies.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:07 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, nobody (definitely not me) is saying op has a perfect argument. But you certainly can agree that being a little nicer to her doesn't hurt. Right?
That depends what your goal is. If you read back over the thread with a critical eye you will find I am not talking nonsense when I say the OP replied to the posts that were nasty, and wholesale ignored the ones that were cordial and polite. I, for one, have been cordial and polite. Firm and no nonsense sure, but no pettiness, no insults, not ad hominem, and no personal attacks.

What happened?

I was wholesale ignored.

If you go into a room and only reply to the nasty people and ignore the not nasty.... then the people you reply to will respond more, the people you ignore will reply less. So in the end you self confirm your own narrative that people are being nasty. You go in EXPECTING nastiness, and then the cherry picking of who to reply to creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

So tell me in the light of that argument, and the OPS behavior..... what does "being a little nicer" actually get? Honestly. Think about it and observe the result and find where I am wrong.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:08 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
That depends what your goal is. If you read back over the thread with a critical eye you will find I am not talking nonsense when I say the OP replied to the posts that were nasty, and wholesale ignored the ones that were cordial and polite. I, for one, have been cordial and polite. Firm and no nonsense sure, but no pettiness, no insults, not ad hominem, and no personal attacks.

What happened?

I was wholesale ignored.

If you go into a room and only reply to the nasty people and ignore the not nasty.... then the people you reply to will respond more, the people you ignore will reply less. So in the end you self confirm your own narrative that people are being nasty. You go in EXPECTING nastiness, and then the cherry picking of who to reply to creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

So tell me in the light of that argument, and the OPS behavior..... what does "being a little nicer" actually get? Honestly. Think about it and observe the result and find where I am wrong.
well, it looks like we have to agree to disagree.

I will leave it at that.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:24 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, it looks like we have to agree to disagree.

I will leave it at that.
I am not sure what you are disagreeing with, as everything Nozz said is 100% true. Go back and look for yourself, and you will see it too. So what exactly ARE you disagreeing with Nozz on?

Old 12-15-2016, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
the Silent Generation (1938- 58)
the post-Millenials (still to be defined)

Generations overlap and don't follow the calendar's decades. A child born in 1998 is now 18, old enough to join the work force.

Meanwhile, the average life span is 78. That means there are a lot of workers in their 70s who are still working daily, and folks in their 80s who are still working alongside the teens.

People are living longer, working longer, and competing more generationally now than at any time in the past.
The Silents ran from '38 to '58? Huh? That puts them overlapping the Baby Boomers (so-called because of the population boost following WWII) by more than a decade. The height of the Baby Boom generation is also called Generation Jones and is centered on those born in the mid-fifties. Gen-X came next and is thought to begin between the early-and-mid sixties. The Millennials arrived in the early eighties and stretch to the turn of the century. The youngest of them are now looking to begin college. The follow-on is variously called iGen, Gen Z, and Homeland. At fifteen or so, they are still just a bit shy of being able to work legally. The only other generation still living is the G.I. Generation, which includes my one surviving grandfather, who is in his nineties and is one of the very youngest of them. He's been retired for more than 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies