Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Trump divest his business holdings?
Yes 64 62.14%
No 27 26.21%
Don’t know/Don’t care/Other 12 11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Trump will do what is in his best financial interest, he isn't concerned about anything else but Trump. He isn't concerned with appearances. He's the President and republicans control every facet of our government. He can do whatever he wants and he will
And if he does so in conflict with the best interests of the country, let the impeachment begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
After the complete pass the MSM gave Hillary & Bill over the antics of the Clinton Foundation, I'd say they are being quite hypocritical with this latest made up controversy about Trump.
It's not made up. ??? He has a LOT of business interests around the world; he gets loans from foreign countries. Most President divest themselves of at least controversial or sensitive business interests, although the law doesn't require that. He has stated he's not divesting himself. Those are facts. Not "made up" fake news.

The Clinton Foundation isn't a "business interest." It is a charitable foundation that does good works, particularly for children, around the world. Another fact.

All Presidents, including the Clintons, are held to the same business interest standard. You are saying that it's okay for Trump to do what he wants with no regard for what is best for our country.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:26 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
I wonder if the Democrats could just do non stop articles of impeachment for stuff like this if he would get the message. Keeping ownership while president is a bad idea. It IS a conflict of interest. And it IS against the constitution without congress approving it.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Federal law does not require Trump to divest his holdings or to sever his ties to his businesses, and the president is not subject to conflict-of-interest rules that govern his Cabinet and other members of the executive branch.

Should President Trump divest his business holdings? Why or why not?
He funneled $11M of his campaign contributions directly to companies he runs. Are you telling me that he isn't going to use the POTUS to pad his personal fortune and act in self-serving ways?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:39 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have to ask... did George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, or John Adams, relinquish theirs?

NO. He should not be forced to divest or relinquish anything. It is just more identity politics and virtue signaling BS, the social justice warriors feed on.
I had the impression that while George was off fighting the war, Martha did really well with Mt. Vernon.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Federal law does not require Trump to divest his holdings or to sever his ties to his businesses, and the president is not subject to conflict-of-interest rules that govern his Cabinet and other members of the executive branch.

Should President Trump divest his business holdings? Why or why not?
if he is not required to, then why should he?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:52 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
If he said he would divest, he should. Did he say it?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if he is not required to, then why should he?
So that's your standard for presidential behavior? President doesn't have to do anything not explicitly delineated in the constitution? I guess he doesn't have to stand for the national anthem or work on Tuesdays or read his emails.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:01 PM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
He can freeze the business, let it run on its own he just doesn't need to involve himself, but what bothers me more is his kids running the presidency... They were not voted in!

Old 12-14-2016, 06:07 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
What Trump originally proposed was a reasonable plan. Put the businesses in a blind trust and have his children manage them. I haven't paid attention if that has or hasn't changed. I don't expect him to sell everything and I don't think he needs to. On the flip side, I believe little that comes out of his mouth, so who knows what will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies