Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Trump divest his business holdings?
Yes 64 62.14%
No 27 26.21%
Don’t know/Don’t care/Other 12 11.65%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So that's your standard for presidential behavior? President doesn't have to do anything not explicitly delineated in the constitution? I guess he doesn't have to stand for the national anthem or work on Tuesdays or read his emails.
so you like putting words into people mouths do you? trump was not requires to release his tax returns, and he didnt. if he is not required to put his holdings into a trust, then why should he? the other crap you posted is just rubbish noise from a hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,981,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What Trump originally proposed was a reasonable plan. Put the businesses in a blind trust and have his children manage them. I haven't paid attention if that has or hasn't changed. I don't expect him to sell everything and I don't think he needs to. On the flip side, I believe little that comes out of his mouth, so who knows what will happen.
It's not a blind trust if his kids are managing it. Words mean things.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,981,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so you like putting words into people mouths do you? trump was not requires to release his tax returns, and he didnt. if he is not required to put his holdings into a trust, then why should he? the other crap you posted is just rubbish noise from a hater.
Maintaining a business with interests in foreign countries is wholly inappropriate for a sitting president. It represents a huge conflict of interest. Do you not understand that?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 PM

16,675 posts, read 8,672,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
If he's a man of his word, at least set up a BLIND TRUST.

But he's backtracked already on several campaign promises, you can't take him for his word.

#LiarinChief.

You are really a piece of work. Obama who has been caught in so many lies that never got your negative attention, yet Trump hasn't even taken office, and you want to label him a liar.
I would note that you abandon your own thread criticizing him for potentially being more moderate, which as a liberal you should be happy about. But you refuse to engage with posters who have asked questions of you.
I cannot put my finger on it, but I have an image in my mind of a dog tucking it's tail and running away. I wonder what is causing me to imagine that.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
none of you are fans of the constitution are you?
Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the constitution states that no American officeholder shall, “without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.”

See that word emolument?
"a salary, fee, or profit from employment or office."

Day 1 if he doesn't divest entirely, he will be in violation. Apparently to him its just a scrap of paper huh?

edit-lol. Mircea beat me to it. As Mircea points out, if congress assents its OK....but...that also means congress has to be aware. Full disclosure, and consent of congress is needed. He has made it clear full disclosure isn't happening.
He should and should he not, he HAS to be held feet first to the fire and be impeached for breaking the Constitution. You can't pick and chose what parts of the Constitution a President follows. Conservatives have no problem reminding Obama...

Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,972,392 times
Here is an interesting article from The Washington Post and one from Forbes which explains why Trump should not be required to put his business holdings in a blind trust, the potential for conflicts of interest, and how he is handling it as of now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ad7e5df8ac9f

Forbes Welcome

Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Here is an interesting article from The Washington Post and one from Forbes which explains why Trump should not be required to put his business holdings in a blind trust, the potential for conflicts of interest, and how he is handling it as of now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ad7e5df8ac9f

Forbes Welcome
Either way it can be a conflict of interests. Either he divests but still gives favorable policies to it or he doesn't and still gives favorable policies. It's a double edged sword that can cause conflicts either way.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,413,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 of the constitution

While he is not required to put it in a blind trust- thats the most common method. Others have congress give them a pass, and some just sell everything.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 PM

16,131 posts, read 10,805,118 times
Of course he should

Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,123,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
LOL! They did, but it was a HORSE!
Cavalry One?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies